Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1703

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

There's a movie being filmed at the mall today
    Tons of production trucks and RVs parked on the west side, next to the old west side BC Clark Entrance. No idea who or what. All the trucks say King Street Productions on them. Based out of New Orleans.

Sylvester Stallone is in town actually. Could be his party.

https://kfor.com/news/local/hollywoo...tallone-shoot/

^

I believe it is filming for Stallone's Tulsa King TV series.

Stallone posted a video on his Insta account of him inside Lolli and Pops in Penn Square, so they were definitely in there filming for Tulsa King.

Not related to Penn Square Mall, but yesterday they were filming at a seedy motel at South 44th and Shields. It is amazing how many people it takes to make a TV show

I will keep an eye out for an episode titled" The Tulsa King travels to OKC for candy".

7. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

sorry, the title just doesn't do it for me.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Interesting new place coming to the food court.

Oh!K-Dog specializes in Korean fried rice hotdogs and egg toast, popular Korean street food items.

https://www.ohkdog.com/

It's hard to tell if work has started on their spot in the food court because the front is boarded up, but the Penn Square Mall website lists them as 'coming soon'.

there is a place like that already it's called 365 Boba & Eatery @ THE HEAL 365 but that restaurant going into penn is really good.

Too bad it is in the mall so I'll never go, haven't been in the mall since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's hard to tell if work has started on their spot in the food court because the front is boarded up, but the Penn Square Mall website lists them as 'coming soon'.
    I know it's only been a little more than 6 weeks, but... any update on this? I see they're still listed as "coming soon" on Penn Square Mall's site, but last time I was in PSM a couple of weeks ago, the storefront in the food court was still boarded up like you observed. Also noticed that OKC is not listed as coming soon on Oh K-Dog's website.

It'll be a shame if it falls through. Tried them out in a mall in Texas and thought they were pretty good.

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Maybe this will push Penn Square to remodel and improve to stay competitive

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    I think if they could build out an psudeo outdoor area in the parking lots between the main building and the Penn&NWE intersection with residential on top then this would be shopping mecca. I would go on to say that PSM could add a big box retailer or grocer to the mix in order to have all types of shopping in one corner. But with Walmart on the other side of Belle Isle and Target down on May this is pie in the sky. But still, it would be cool to see a full fledge grocer and residential, as well as some more entertainment places added to PSM and those back lots could all be structured parking.

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    penn sq is one of the most successful malls in the united states

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    penn sq is one of the most successful malls in the united states
    Did you mean in the state of OK?

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    And how do you define success?

Penn Square is nearly full and is getting ready to add a big new Urban Outfitters.

I live nearby and the are always tons of cars in their lots.

By any measure, they are in much better shape than most malls.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    No. I would guess that by most measures of success for malls (standardized for size), it probably does rank pretty highly nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    No. I would guess that by most measures of success for malls (standardized for size), it probably does rank pretty highly nationally.
    that is what I was trying to find but can't seem to although it does rank number 1 in the state which is why I asked

I have no doubt it is very successful I drive by Penn most weekdays

20. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

bouldersooner is correct that - at least as of a few years ago - Penn Square was one of the best-performing enclosed shopping malls in the U.S. on a per square foot sales basis. My own theory on this - apart from an excellent central location and easy access from all points - is that OKC was a major-city outlier in being slow to embrace lifestyle centers. The fact of the matter is that in most cities a different type of brick and mortar shopping largely replaced enclosed shopping malls, and we mostly missed that trend. Nevertheless, PSM has enviable performance among the remaining malls of that type.

And it must be said that Quail Springs has done a nice job of rallying.

They brought in a new-to-market department store, which in hindsight was miraculous. Then took out a dead anchor to make way for the huge fitness center.

Have also brought in H&M and Round 1.

Considering all the economic forces, changing shopping dynamics and the pandemic, both those malls are doing pretty darn well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    bouldersooner is correct that - at least as of a few years ago - Penn Square was one of the best-performing enclosed shopping malls in the U.S. on a per square foot sales basis. My own theory on this - apart from an excellent central location and easy access from all points - is that OKC was a major-city outlier in being slow to embrace lifestyle centers. The fact of the matter is that in most cities a different type of brick and mortar shopping largely replaced enclosed shopping malls, and we mostly missed that trend. Nevertheless, PSM has enviable performance among the remaining malls of that type.
    Maybe our extreme weather has something to do with that. 100 degrees, humidity and 20 mph winds tends to drive people indoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Maybe our extreme weather has something to do with that. 100 degrees, humidity and 20 mph winds tends to drive people indoor.
    As does wild storms, sleet, ice storms and near-zero temps.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I know it's only been a little more than 6 weeks, but... any update on this? I see they're still listed as "coming soon" on Penn Square Mall's site, but last time I was in PSM a couple of weeks ago, the storefront in the food court was still boarded up like you observed. Also noticed that OKC is not listed as coming soon on Oh K-Dog's website.
    I am wondering about this too. I had Korean corndogs like this at a place in Seattle a few months ago and it was really good. I was in Penn Square last week and still didn't see any signs or info about this place opening. I also tried messaging them on social media about it, but never got back to me.

25. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    OKC is not alone with regard to major cities with a lack or slow adoption of lifestyle centers. We have malls in the Seattle area too (in addition to ONE lifestyle center - University Village which itself was long standing but refurbished in the 2010s), most if not all of our 4 regional malls - however- have added lifestyle components to them where they expanded the footprint putting the trendy anchor shops on the outside of the existing mall footprint. The end result is the "mall" is physically hidden behind the trendy stores giving the look and feel of a modern lifestyle center while also retaining the traditional mall. See Northgate Mall as our latest example of this.

I'd like Penn Square to adopt this strategy; Tyson's Corner adopts this strategy very well while also incorporating structured parking surrounding the traditional mall. It's all about staying relevant, and up until the last few years Penn Square didn't have any competition other than Tulsa's aging Utica Square; therefore there was no initiative for PSM to refurbish itself. However, as others have indicated - I too believe the time is coming for PSM to catch-up with the 'lifestyle mall' trend or risk being significantly marginalized by the competition that Oak and Classen Curve, Nichols Hills Plaza, Chisholm Creek, and eventually downtown's Park Avenue will/have give(n) them.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information