Widgets Magazine
Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 55051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1703

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Tried Oh K Dog for lunch today. Absolutely fantastic. Absolutely recommend. They aren't too heavy on the stomach either, I always worry about that with heavily fried foods. Definitely going back this week to try a few of the other types of corn dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Within a few months the market will be the final arbiter
    on pricing and value.
    I agree 100% You also have to look at the market. I would argue that a minimum $10.50 meal for 4 meatballs and fries in a mall food court isn't the right market when I can get a meatball sub with chips and a drink for $8.75 or $5 without chips and drink at Subway next door. It also has four meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I feel like complaining about prices is more than a little over done on this entire forum. The fact of the matter is food prices have gone up significantly. Rent has gone up, utilities have gone up, dry goods, cleaning materials you name it everything has gone up. You either need to readjust your expectations or just accept the fact that you can not afford to go out as often as you once could. At this point you can barely get a meal from a drive through for less than $10. This is a locally owned family business that have operated a successful food truck for years. The price point and portions are very fair.
    Fare prices but not a good location for it. The food truck is better because people can take their food and go home. Its destination type of food where they have their fans. Being inside the mall makes it that much harder for their fan base to reach them.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Fare prices but not a good location for it. The food truck is better because people can take their food and go home. Its destination type of food where they have their fans. Being inside the mall makes it that much harder for their fan base to reach them.
    The term "destination type of food" in regards to a food truck is a bit ridiculous. Nobody is traveling 10 hours to go to a food truck. You walk around at an event, realize you are hungry, and make an impulse decision on which truck to go to. It is almost the exact same scenario that you will find in a mall food court.

The term "destination type of food" in regards to a food truck is a bit ridiculous. Nobody is traveling 10 hours to go to a food truck. You walk around at an event, realize you are hungry, and make an impulse decision on which truck to go to. It is almost the exact same scenario that you will find in a mall food court.
    Food trucks park on their own, by themselves, quite a bit of the time, they're not always grouped together at events. There are hundreds of food trucks all by themselves in disparate locations all over the city every day, and yes, lots of folks do keep track of them and drive to specific food trucks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Unless they are at the perimeter of the mall, or on the pads, food places at a food court aren't intended to be "destination" restaurants. They are there to keep people who are already there shopping in the mall instead of leaving to go find something when they are hungry. It is walk-by impulse eating with the more appealing ones catching most of the passer's by.

Very few food trucks are actually destination eating themselves. A few have loyal followers but even then generally most don't drive far out of their way for them. Food truck EVENTs or gatherings can be an entertainment draw when promoted. Otherwise, most good trucks are tasty conveniences.

Destination was probably not the proper term to use. Spunkies hung out around the same spots in Edmond and depended word of month and low overhead. Either way I have my doubts that Spunkies can survive a year at Penn with a physical location they have to pay rent on and significantly larger staff at those prices compared to everything else in that food court. Not the food industry prices as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Food trucks park on their own, by themselves, quite a bit of the time, they're not always grouped together at events. There are hundreds of food trucks all by themselves in disparate locations all over the city every day, and yes, lots of folks do keep track of them and drive to specific food trucks.
    Yeah people would drive for hours to visit a Cousins Maine lobster truck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Just because people keep track of their favorite food trucks does not make them destination dining spots. I may just be a pedantic bastard, but when I hear destination and restaurant I expect it to be noteworthy for something. To me destination spots in the city are going to be places like Nonesuch, Vast, Cattlemen's, and Ma Der Lao. Nonesuch is a genuinely innovative restaurant in OKC and it has gained national recognition for the food and service. Vast is an incredible space with picturesque views and from my experience has been an exception to the rule that restaurants on top of buildings being fairly mediocre. Cattlemen's is far from the best steakhouse in the city but the history and atmosphere make it a must stop for many visiting the city. Mad Der Lao like Nonesuch being a restaurant that has rightfully earned national acclaim. To be honest I feel like our disagreement is more a matter of semantics than anything.

Just because people keep track of their favorite food trucks does not make them destination dining spots. I may just be a pedantic bastard, but when I hear destination and restaurant I expect it to be noteworthy for something. To me destination spots in the city are going to be places like Nonesuch, Vast, Cattlemen's, and Ma Der Lao. Nonesuch is a genuinely innovative restaurant in OKC and it has gained national recognition for the food and service. Vast is an incredible space with picturesque views and from my experience has been an exception to the rule that restaurants on top of buildings being fairly mediocre. Cattlemen's is far from the best steakhouse in the city but the history and atmosphere make it a must stop for many visiting the city. Mad Der Lao like Nonesuch being a restaurant that has rightfully earned national acclaim. To be honest I feel like our disagreement is more a matter of semantics than anything.
    Yep, agreed, you'll notice I never once mentioned "destination" in my post. I was just clearing up a possible misconception about food truck fandom...

Looks like additional permits have been filed for Urban Outfitted and that they will be taking over the old Microsoft store on the first floor

^

Yes, that space is now occupied by Waikiki (2nd photo). Urban Outfitters will also be taking part of the Altar'd State space to the east. Altar'd State is moving to a bigger location in the mall.

The OKC store will be 9,100 SF while the location in Tulsa is about 6,500 SF.

Cotton:On is taking the 7,940 vacant space on the lower level next to the Lego Store.

https://cottonon.com/US/

Also, Trendsetters is moving from near JC Penney to the old BC Clark space.

14. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Wow, we're getting a Cotton On!? Zara next?? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Wow, we're getting a Cotton On!? Zara next?? Lol
    From your lips to Amancio Ortega's ears. I'd maim for a local Zara. Excellent perfume dupes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    From your lips to Amancio Ortega's ears. I'd maim for a local Zara. Excellent perfume dupes.
    Yes lord

Is that satire? There is a Zara around the corner from me. A little over a month ago I went in for the first time and I didn’t know what the hell was going on. I was so confused what to look for. Someone please help me out here what am I missing about this place… Zara.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is that satire? There is a Zara around the corner from me. A little over a month ago I went in for the first time and I didn’t know what the hell was going on. I was so confused what to look for. Someone please help me out here what am I missing about this place… Zara.
    Not satire, I own many of their blazers for work. "Call My Agent" on Netflix, their costume people also have used Zara pieces. Zara handbags also good purchases, well constructed for the price point.
    https://pagesix.com/2022/10/11/kate-...rince-william/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Zara has affordable stylish clothing that is well constructed. It is a worldwide success. It is mostly European styling and sizing (not “generously” sized), so audience is generally younger, trimmer and more stylish.

With these recent announcements, it seems like all of the large storefronts will now be filled, leaving only 2 or 3 smaller storefronts empty. Appears to be excellent momentum for Penn Square ahead of the completion of the Oak Development. I imagine the Oak Development will only bring more attention from national retailers to Penn Square.

Quote Originally Posted by W8N2SKI View Post
    With these recent announcements, it seems like all of the large storefronts will now be filled, leaving only 2 or 3 smaller storefronts empty. Appears to be excellent momentum for Penn Square ahead of the completion of the Oak Development. I imagine the Oak Development will only bring more attention from national retailers to Penn Square.
    Yes, it's a healthy competition which is good for OKC.

Also, Classen Curve is almost completely full and has brought in a bunch of new-to-market retailers in just the last few years.

And Chisholm Creek is working with lots of retailers as well.

I know that something the level of Domain is a pipe dream, but I hope one of these new developments can get some truly luxury stores. I think OKC could handle a few luxury stores. I love what PSM and Classen Curve bring to the table, and what OAK will bring in the future. I just think that OKC (and all of Oklahoma) is lacking a truly upscale shopping experience, and I think we can afford it (ideally near NH or near Quail Springs).

There is much more to come at OAK. We should see some more announcements before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also, Classen Curve is almost completely full and has brought in a bunch of new-to-market retailers in just the last few years.
    Do you know if Classen Curve has any plans for further expansion or have they built all they can build? They seem to be pretty landlocked with no space for more buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by W8N2SKI View Post
    Do you know if Classen Curve has any plans for further expansion or have they built all they can build? They seem to be pretty landlocked with no space for more buildings.
    There are a couple of parcels along NW 63rd.

Also, there are a couple of gaps in the main shopping area where there are fountains. I've seen plans to remove those and replace with more shopping space.

The only real vacancy they have is the old Cafe 501 but I know they have been actively working deals with restaurants that would be new to market.

Thread Information