Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Looks like Simon has updated their mall websites. Penn's website has quite a few pictures of the mall. I shot over to the Woodland Hills site, and the only pictures shown are those of what I assume to be updates to the facade and some of the interior. Kind of disappointing that they did not show the proposed changes to Penn Square.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    Looks like Simon has updated their mall websites. Penn's website has quite a few pictures of the mall. I shot over to the Woodland Hills site, and the only pictures shown are those of what I assume to be updates to the facade and some of the interior. Kind of disappointing that they did not show the proposed changes to Penn Square.
    I've always thought the interiors of Penn Square was far nicer than Woodland Hills. I've been to Woodland Hills once and its pretty underwhelming. Penn Square has the look of a top-tier, upscale mall and stores that OKC may never have like Nordstrom and Louis Vuitton would not look out of place there.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    stores that OKC may never have like Nordstrom and Louis Vuitton would not look out of place there.
    I have to drive all the way to Dallas to go to Louis Vuitton store and Austin has one so I'm sure OKC could get one. But that might wishful thinking.

I've always thought the interiors of Penn Square was far nicer than Woodland Hills. I've been to Woodland Hills once and its pretty underwhelming. Penn Square has the look of a top-tier, upscale mall and stores that OKC may never have like Nordstrom and Louis Vuitton would not look out of place there.
    The current Penn Square Mall was built in the mid to late 80's, I think the Woodland Hills Mall was originally built in the late 70's. Simon is all over the place on remodels, Barton Creek and Lakeline in Austin have been remodeled several time but the remodel I did in Midland, Texas was the first significant work since the mall was originally built in the late 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I have to drive all the way to Dallas to go to Louis Vuitton store and Austin has one so I'm sure OKC could get one. But that might wishful thinking.
    The Domain also has city subsidies as a brownfield redevelopment project of a former IBM manufacturing site. Some of those were used to lure retailers as well. We had to fill out paperwork every 3 months stating how many employees we had in our office to be given to the City of Austin to keep the subsidy in place.

5. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Well and remember, Penn wasn't always an indoor mall, it got converted. So can you imagine what it would have been like today if it stayed outdoor. Most of the outdoor malls i've seen around the country get minimal changes made. I was at one in San Diego this week that basically looks the same as when it was built in the 60's! Yeah they changed some paint and store fronts, signage, etc. but the basic structure is pretty dated compared to the surroundings...and that's in a pretty fancy pants mall with Nordstroms, Loehmans, Sacks, etc. AND with an even fancier mall down the street with the Gucci, etc. crowd.

Penn, at least managed to keep their 80's colorful look in taste until the remodel in 2000. Now it looks like any other Simon mall, including Woodland Hills. I was in North Star in San Antonio and thought, man this place looks like a Simon Mall! I don't think they ever actually owned it, but it sure has the same look-and-feel. And from the outside, yet another example of how so many malls fail to update the exterior when they do the inside. At least Penn did SOMETHING when they remodeled so it doesn't still have that 70's Start patterned light crap. LOL

$695,000 building permit today to remodel the Gap.

That's a ton of money... Not sure if they are expanding or just remodeling.

I could live without a GAP, but that one is a joke, especially for Penn. Hopefully it's an expansion to their full line.

8. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Not sure if this is news or not, but I saw via a friend's instragram that Forever 21 is finished and is open next to Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Not sure if this is news or not, but I saw via a friend's instragram that Forever 21 is finished and is open next to Express.
    I haven't been to Penn Square in a while. Is this a Forever XXI or a regular Forever 21?

10. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    $695,000 building permit today to remodel the Gap.

That's a ton of money... Not sure if they are expanding or just remodeling.
    They're connecting all the stores together inside like Woodland Hills in Tulsa, and possible bringing in Gap Body and Maternity since the ease of one big open store will have an effect.

I haven't been to Penn Square in a while. Is this a Forever XXI or a regular Forever 21?
    I'm hoping an XXI, as they have better stuff and a respectable men's selection.

Did they finish remodeling the food court? If so, I will drive this weekend to see it

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    Did they finish remodeling the food court? If so, I will drive this weekend to see it
    Was there this weekend. I saw no renovations and nothing even started in the food court.

Is Forever21 Open?
    Will they be carrying their mens line?

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    Was there this weekend. I saw no renovations and nothing even started in the food court.

Is Forever21 Open?
    Will they be carrying their mens line?
    The big sign on the west side of Penn Square says Forever 21 and not Forever XXI. According to somebody here that makes the difference and would mean they're not selling the mens line. I don't know if that's true though.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    The big sign on the west side of Penn Square says Forever 21 and not Forever XXI. According to somebody here that makes the difference and would mean they're not selling the mens line. I don't know if that's true though.
    Not true. I've been to many a Forever 21 which did carry men's clothing. Here's what Forever 21 Inc. has to saw about the difference between Forever 21 and Forever XXI.

What is the difference between Forever 21 and Forever XXI?
    Forever 21 offers the latest fashions at a great value to our customers.
    Forever 21 has been chosen as one of the top three teen shopping brands nationwide.
    Thanks to the popularity of Forever 21, not only with young shoppers but also customers who are
    young at heart, Forever21 has been able to create its flagship stores, Forever XXI, which occupy an
    average of 24,000 square foot. per store.
    Offering an exciting and spacious shopping environment with a variety of merchandise, Forever XXI
    embraces everyone who wants the latest styles at a great value.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Not true. I've been to many a Forever 21 which did carry men's clothing. Here's what Forever 21 Inc. has to saw about the difference between Forever 21 and Forever XXI.
    Well there you go. Somebody here said that about the XXI and they were wrong. Thanks for the correction.

The main, double-faced pylon sign on the corner of NWX & Penn has been broken for quite some time. The building is virtually full, rents are high and the Christmas shopping season has arrived, yet the electronic reader is off and many letters in the name are burned out.

What is wrong with Simon Property that they can't even get their sign working?

18. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just good old fashioned apathy.

HangryHippo Guest

I haven't seen a single renovation begin yet anywhere in the mall. What was the timeline for Simon's renovations?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I haven't seen a single renovation begin yet anywhere in the mall. What was the timeline for Simon's renovations?
    I'm sure their waiting until after the holiday shopping season.

As predicted, they have started renovations this past week. The food court bathrooms are now closed for construction and scaffolding has started going up around the entrances.

I would like it if Penn square got a disney store, Orange Julius or an actual store tenant for the microsoft store instead of a kiosk. On a related note I noticed they started working on the food court, and is Ms. Fields and Sonic gone from Penn Square now? or are they just moving/renovating the places?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I would like it if Penn square got a disney store, Orange Julius or an actual store tenant for the microsoft store instead of a kiosk. On a related note I noticed they started working on the food court, and is Ms. Fields and Sonic gone from Penn Square now? or are they just moving/renovating the places?
    I thought Penn Square had a Disney store back in the '90s.

Word on these boards was Microsoft was planning to open a full-line store at Penn Square as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    My understanding is that Sonic is gone for good. Mrs. Fields is moving down to the first floor under the escalators where the other cookie place is/was and that cookie place is leaving. I hope I don't have the cookie places reversed. From what I was told, the cookie place under the escalators was asked by the mall to move into a store front, but the rent was way more than they could afford so they are closing.

HangryHippo Guest

Does anyone know how the movie theatre revamp is progressing? Or if the food court revamp has begun in earnest?

Thread Information