Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R.i.p.

Default Re: R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUPokeFan View Post
    I believe that the Cellar is gone, but it appears that a different liquor store is reopening in the same spot. The neon sign has been changed from the Cellar to something else.
    I saw the sign was different, but thought it might be left over from the tenants that were there before the Cellar. Be nice if a Cellar-like store opened back up there. I work around there, so I'll keep watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I noticed this weekend Falcones in MWC closed shop.
    With multiple locations closing, does anybody know if this is a bit-by-bit death of Falcone's or if they're going to be able to stay around, just with less locations (only 2 now that I know of - Bricktown and N May)? I hope they don't go away (at least the N May location).

Quote Originally Posted by OSUPokeFan View Post
    Market C is closing. This Friday is their last day, and everything is 50% off. They just made the announcement on their Facebook page. Says the space will be taken over by Cheever's Catering.
    Mmmm..a sale.

That's too bad about Market C closing however..

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    With multiple locations closing, does anybody know if this is a bit-by-bit death of Falcone's or if they're going to be able to stay around, just with less locations (only 2 now that I know of - Bricktown and N May)? I hope they don't go away (at least the N May location).
    Can they close the Bricktown Falcone's and put something else there? It's in prime location and they keep it up like crap. Pizza isn't very good either...

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Can they close the Bricktown Falcone's and put something else there? It's in prime location and they keep it up like crap. Pizza isn't very good either...
    This.

My son and I visited the Bricktown location three times, each time trying to convince ourselves the previous visit was just a fluke, that it couldn't have been as bad as what we experienced...but we were wrong. After the third time, I felt like a sucker, because it was precisely the same, all three times, so we just gave up. When my son refuses to eat a pizza because of the puddles of grease floating on the top, something's seriously out of whack. Won't miss it.

County Line had gone down the tubes years ago, primarily when they became the "County Line" over the "Oklahoma Line." It used to be the destination place for BBQ when I was growing up, but when they hooked up with the "County Line" moniker it went in the toilet - cold food, bad service, the whole schmear. Even went back with a group from my office for a dinner trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, and it still was just bad. Too many other cheaper, better BBQ options a LOT closer to home these days. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Don't know why the Bricktown location's pizza is worse than the N. May location, but yeah, that's not a great Falcone's in any aspect...

7. Default Re: R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Bicycle Alley at 1015 N. Broadway. Closed in November (?) by owner Terry Enos after being overwhelmed by Schlegel Bicycles across the street (+/-) at 900 N. Broadway. Space for lease in building owned by Steve Mason (who shouldn’t have any trouble filling it).
    Sorry Mr. Enos, but the better man won. Schlegal's looked like an REI inside. Bicycle Alley was a concrete floor, bare white walls, and a few bikes here and there...

and although it hasn't officially been announced, Abercrombie & Fitch and abercrombie kids in Quail will both be leaving the second week of January
    I don't know anyone that wears A&F (including current high schoolers). I haven't for probably 7-8 years. I really don't know who's shopping there. Whereas I still know lots and lots of people that wear American Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    This thread is like the Oklahoma Senate. A strange mixture of homo-eroticism and right-wing propaganda.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    This.

My son and I visited the Bricktown location three times, each time trying to convince ourselves the previous visit was just a fluke, that it couldn't have been as bad as what we experienced...but we were wrong. After the third time, I felt like a sucker, because it was precisely the same, all three times, so we just gave up. When my son refuses to eat a pizza because of the puddles of grease floating on the top, something's seriously out of whack. Won't miss it.

County Line had gone down the tubes years ago, primarily when they became the "County Line" over the "Oklahoma Line." It used to be the destination place for BBQ when I was growing up, but when they hooked up with the "County Line" moniker it went in the toilet - cold food, bad service, the whole schmear. Even went back with a group from my office for a dinner trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, and it still was just bad. Too many other cheaper, better BBQ options a LOT closer to home these days. Sad.
    I agree that the food at County Line was better before the takeover but it was still as awesome setting and location for the restaurant.

When was it the "Oklahoma Line"? Must have been before my time, I have always known it as the "County Line".

10. Default Re: R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    but it was still as awesome setting and location for the restaurant.
    Yeah love the history there. Too bad it was so off the beaten path. County Line, Haunted House, Sleepy Hollow. All great, unique, historic restaurants in that area but hurt by the reputation of the NE side (deserved or not) and just being so far from anything commercial really. But these are the kind of places with character that you want to be able to show to outsiders.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

As far as I know The Haunted House is still open. Sleepy Hollow was a great place until loss of customers and mis-managment killed it.

"La Baguette Leaving Colcord Hotel"

By Brian Brus
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2837
    Posted: 06:34 PM Thursday, January 13, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY – Management changes at the Colcord Hotel in Oklahoma City will displace La Baguette Restaurant after five years downtown, restaurant co-owner Alain Buthion confirmed Thursday.
    “I guess they don’t need us anymore,” Buthion said. “But it was tough for us to survive the Devon construction anyway. Unless there was a basketball game downtown, business was slow.”
    He and his brother, Michel Buthion, have operated their French restaurant on N. May Avenue for more than 20 years. The downtown restaurant was a recent expansion that served the business well enough, Alain Buthion said.
    But shortly after it was announced this week that John Williams was leaving as general manager of the Skirvin Hilton Hotel to head operations at the Colcord, the Buthions were told the restaurant’s lease relationship in the Colcord also will be terminated. Alain Buthion said he has not yet been given all the details.
    The Colcord is owned by Devon Energy, which is building a new skyscraper headquarters nearby. A Devon spokeswoman confirmed Williams will also assist in designing and planning food service operations throughout the Devon Energy Center.
    “They are hiring a new manager to control the tower, the hotel and the restaurant, so they are cleaning out the house,” Alain Buthion said. “We don’t know the exact date. We may relocate someplace else after looking at the market. We’ll see.”
    When asked to clarify the matter, Devon spokeswoman Alesha Leemaster said, “It’s premature to speculate at this time what changes might occur under John Williams’ management.”

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    "La Baguette Leaving Colcord Hotel"

By Brian Brus
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2837
    Posted: 06:34 PM Thursday, January 13, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY – Management changes at the Colcord Hotel in Oklahoma City will displace La Baguette Restaurant after five years downtown, restaurant co-owner Alain Buthion confirmed Thursday.
    “I guess they don’t need us anymore,” Buthion said. “But it was tough for us to survive the Devon construction anyway. Unless there was a basketball game downtown, business was slow.”
    He and his brother, Michel Buthion, have operated their French restaurant on N. May Avenue for more than 20 years. The downtown restaurant was a recent expansion that served the business well enough, Alain Buthion said.
    But shortly after it was announced this week that John Williams was leaving as general manager of the Skirvin Hilton Hotel to head operations at the Colcord, the Buthions were told the restaurant’s lease relationship in the Colcord also will be terminated. Alain Buthion said he has not yet been given all the details.
    The Colcord is owned by Devon Energy, which is building a new skyscraper headquarters nearby. A Devon spokeswoman confirmed Williams will also assist in designing and planning food service operations throughout the Devon Energy Center.
    “They are hiring a new manager to control the tower, the hotel and the restaurant, so they are cleaning out the house,” Alain Buthion said. “We don’t know the exact date. We may relocate someplace else after looking at the market. We’ll see.”
    When asked to clarify the matter, Devon spokeswoman Alesha Leemaster said, “It’s premature to speculate at this time what changes might occur under John Williams’ management.”
    it would be great if they would relocate somewhere else downtown or on AA because you know that the new place in the colcord will be top notch ..

I'm not able to upload an image taken this afternoon of the Ballenger's sign being taken down at 63rd & May. Suffice it to say...

15. Default Re: R.i.p.

I'm not able to upload an image taken this afternoon of the Ballenger's sign being taken down at 63rd & May. Suffice it to say...
    That was announced quite awhile ago. A national retailer will go there. Bank on it.

16. Default Re: R.i.p.

Where was it? The old CompUSA?
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

yep

Cocina de Mino on NW 122nd/May.

Conina de Mino is one of the sad stories about local restaurants. An acquaintance who was familiar with their operation said nothing short of just plain bad management killed it. Good reputation, good locations, good traffic over the years, but some inexplicable decisions were made that put it on a bad course. I think there's only one left, down on 59th and Western in what used to be an old Safeway store, IIRC...

20. Default Re: R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Conina de Mino is one of the sad stories about local restaurants. An acquaintance who was familiar with their operation said nothing short of just plain bad management killed it. Good reputation, good locations, good traffic over the years, but some inexplicable decisions were made that put it on a bad course. I think there's only one left, down on 59th and Western in what used to be an old Safeway store, IIRC...
    It's very sad. They had the best burrito in the world. I hope the southside one can hang in there so I can get one when I'm back!
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

When I lived in that area we used to frequent that location a bunch, tried it again a year before I moved to Austin and it was just downright bad. It used to always be busy and was very empty at that time which should have been a busy time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    When I lived in that area we used to frequent that location a bunch, tried it again a year before I moved to Austin and it was just downright bad. It used to always be busy and was very empty at that time which should have been a busy time of day.
    The worst mexican restaurant in Austin would do fine here. Whole different ball game in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    The worst mexican restaurant in Austin would do fine here. Whole different ball game in Austin.
    There are plenty of mediocre Mexican restaurants here like Chuy's, I have yet to find an "exceptional" Mexican restaurant here, just some good ones. Not many that I consider "import worthy". Like any food item, it is personal, I like Tex-Mex, not interior Mexican food, I grew up on Tex-Mex and most of the interior food even at some of the "the places in Austin" that I have tried I just don't like. I know people who love Polvo's, I can't stand the place and know a few others who feel the same.

Adobe Grill - 50th & Shartel. Has this been posted before? I was going to bring tamales to a party tonight.

25. Default Re: R.i.p.

Adobe Grill - 50th & Shartel. Has this been posted before? I was going to bring tamales to a party tonight.
    Didn't know about that. Always wondered how they stayed in business in such an off the beaten path location.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information