Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 21 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I-35 / I-240 Exchange

Default I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

I know the highest-profile highway project around here right now is the I-40 rebuild, but I was wondering what the status of the I-35/I-240 interchange rebuild?

Several years ago, I recall ODOT having bought up the nasty apartments to the NE of the interchange in anticipation of the project that was then "several years" (10?) in the future. Other land was purchased, until they ran out of money to buy any more. I recall having seen a bird's-eye view rendering of how the exchange would be rebuilt, but haven't heard much lately.

The afternoon rush hour and the increased volume along eastbound I-240 -> southbound I-35 has made the current exchange arguably one of if not the most dangerous in the city. I just wondered if there was anything like a timeline out there when work might start.

Thanks.

Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

Definitely needs to be redone quickly. I quit going that route on my way home not only because it was slow due to congestion but also because it was so dangerous. I've seen several wrecks right there, one of which literally came within 2 inches of hitting me.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Definitely needs to be redone quickly. I quit going that route on my way home not only because it was slow due to congestion but also because it was so dangerous. I've seen several wrecks right there, one of which literally came within 2 inches of hitting me.
    Sadly, its rare for me NOT to see an accident on the eastbound side of that highway between Shields and I-35 during afternoon rush hour. Fortunately, my route takes me a bit against the grain, as I'm going *west* heading home and avoiding the opposite side. Hope they get that thing rebuilt soon.

it is not going to be done until 2019 at the earliest .. more right of way comes in 2015 utilities in 2016 and 17 and contstructrion starts in 2018
    http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8...p2011-2018.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it is not going to be done until 2019 at the earliest .. more right of way comes in 2015 utilities in 2016 and 17 and contstructrion starts in 2018
    Man, that's incredible. Still nearly a decade away. That's disappointing.

Yes they need to make this a priority, it is dangerous going eastbound after the shields exit, i see at least one accident a week there and I only drive that way twice a week

I got in a bad one a few years ago right there. "Undocumented worker" rear-ended me, I get in a bad mood just thinking about that ordeal.. I'm definitely not one of those people to hold a grudge against an inanimate object like a highway, however. There are idiotic, dangerous drivers everywhere you go. Really, OKC is lucky that wrecks really don't happen that often here.

It will be more like 2030 and thats if they actually start construction in 2018. I-44/I-235 is higher up the priority list and that project will take at least 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It will be more like 2030 and thats if they actually start construction in 2018. I-44/I-235 is higher up the priority list and that project will take at least 10 years.
    No it won't..the Broadway Extension was originally a huge, 10-year vision broken down into several chunks. They first finished the northern part toward Edmond, then a few years ago they did the 23rd and 36th intersections, 2 miles of freeway, and that took 2 years. All that's left now is 36th to 63rd. Probably a 3 year project, 4 at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    No it won't..the Broadway Extension was originally a huge, 10-year vision broken down into several chunks. They first finished the northern part toward Edmond, then a few years ago they did the 23rd and 36th intersections, 2 miles of freeway, and that took 2 years. All that's left now is 36th to 63rd. Probably a 3 year project, 4 at the most.
    If you look through the eight year work plan all of the phases of this interchange project aren't scheduled yet. This one is going to take a while too unless additional funds (earmarks) are found.

on i44/i235, with every bridge i235 goes under between 36th to the interchange and the entire interchange and ramps having to be rebuilt I have a hard time imagining just 4 years of construction, but hope your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This is what okcpulse said in the other thread about funding.

Funding is one problem, but funding methods are another. ODOT is forced to be a pay as you go agency because the state is barred constitutionally from borrowing money to fund road construction. There was some flack about the money used to fund the expansion of Broadway Extension. Ultimately the courts ruled that GARVEE bonds cannot be used to fund road projects. That is why Broadway only took two years to widen.
    Of course, I know things can always change with either changes in the economy or federal government stimulus projects, but as of right now these projects are being built one ramp, flyover ramp, bridge, etc at a time with a year or two gap between bids.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno View Post
    If you look through the eight year work plan all of the phases of this interchange project aren't scheduled yet. This one is going to take a while too unless additional funds (earmarks) are found.
    Right, I don't doubt that the work won't be done ten years from now, I'm just saying that's not a ten year project. For most of that time, there will be zero visible work being done on the project, and the project manager at the ODOT office will just be twiddling his thumbs watching Judge Judy every day in his office until the funding arrives for the project.... that's just how this stuff goes.

Think Spartan is trying to say that it is a 2 to 3 year project that will end up taking 10 years or so. In one of these threads and think it was in a recent Oklahoman article that it is indeed a 10 year project at this point.

on edit, was posted over in the "I-235 / I-44 Interchange" thread

2 highway construction projects begin in OKC area in 2011 (Oklahoman, 12/29/10))
    A rebuilding project at the Interstate 235 and Interstate 44 interchange in north Oklahoma City that begins next year could potentially last up to 10 years because much of it remains unfunded, state Transportation Department officials said Tuesday.
    complete article here: http://newsok.com/2-highway-construc...ticle/3527488#

I have no statistics on the accident rate on either I-235@I-44 or I-240@I-35, but I have to think someone should be willing to push the latter somehow, because at some point there's a toll to be taken in the cost of injuries and property damage arising from the I-240 situation...

How many vehicles use the I-240/I-35 interchange per day?

It would be really awesome to see this rebuilt to look like the High Five in northern Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    How many vehicles use the I-240/I-35 interchange per day?

It would be really awesome to see this rebuilt to look like the High Five in northern Dallas.
    200,000-ish if you count all directions, but not nearly enough to build that complex a structure.

phase 1A for this project east bound 240 to south bound 35 starts in 2015 ..

the next phase is 2018 ..

19. Default Re: I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild?

phase 1A for this project east bound 240 to south bound 35 starts in 2015 ..

the next phase is 2018 ..
    Here let's actually be more detailed...

Jan 2015 - Utilities, Right of Way acquisition, EB 240 to SB 35 rebuild. Phase 1A
    2016 - Nothing
    2017 - Nothing
    2018 - Phase 1 Interchange work
    2019 - Nothing
    2020 - Phase 2 interchange work
    2021 - Phase 3 and 4 interchange work

So project completion is probably 10 years out from today.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Here let's actually be more detailed...

Jan 2015 - Utilities, Right of Way acquisition, EB 240 to SB 35 rebuild. Phase 1A
    2016 - Nothing
    2017 - Nothing
    2018 - Phase 1 Interchange work
    2019 - Nothing
    2020 - Phase 2 interchange work
    2021 - Phase 3 and 4 interchange work

So project completion is probably 10 years out from today.
    Geez, that's depressing. Lots of people are going to continue to have wrecks and get hurt there for this kind of bureaucratic largesse....

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    200,000-ish if you count all directions, but not nearly enough to build that complex a structure.
    Why do we have to wait until the "count" is high enough for the BEST in engineering? Don't we deserve the Best in engineering today?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Geez, that's depressing. Lots of people are going to continue to have wrecks and get hurt there for this kind of bureaucratic largesse....
    The worst part is the Fatalities that will be counted in the next 10 years. That is the COUNT that should matter. We have to wait 10 years , spend $200 mil, and it still will only be a Mediocre Product.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    Why do we have to wait until the "count" is high enough for the BEST in engineering? Don't we deserve the Best in engineering today?
    We don't have the money today, for that type of structure we don't even have the money when it is being planned to be reconstructed and there is some reasons to believe that is not the best way to spend it if we did.

We don't have the money today, for that type of structure we don't even have the money when it is being planned to be reconstructed and there is some reasons to believe that is not the best way to spend it if we did.
    Then, in my book, it costs absolutely *zero* dollars to do the *one* thing that will mitigate against at least a good portion of the accidents at this location: Immediately and permanently close the EB on-ramp from Shields. I know it will hack off the folks who go up Shields to get on I-240, but they can go to SE 89th and head east to I-35, and loop right back on to EB I-240 from there. Heck, they can go a unit west and board EB I-240 at Walker. Either way, that Shields on-ramp has to go.

This won't solve all the problems, because cars migrating to the SB I-35 ramp from I-240 will still do so, but it eliminates the "scissoring" traffic caused by the inflow of the inbound traffic at the same location.

Something of substance has to be done at this location before ten years passes.

Please give me a little more detail, if you would please? .... I'm still wondering why we only "except / approve" the Sub-Par product called Oklahoma Interchanges.

Thread Information