Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 93 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    And by speeding, floating a stop sign, not using a turn indicator, tail light out, etc. you're always open to getting a ticket.
    True, but it's no reason to do it on purpose. Trying to counter an inconsiderate driver by driving illegally certainly doesn't seem wise.

2. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I do it sometimes when i'm close to the lane closure....i say a big screw you to the a-hole trying to get around everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    True, but it's no reason to do it on purpose. Trying to counter an inconsiderate driver by driving illegally certainly doesn't seem wise.
    It may not be a lawfully justifiable reason, but there IS a reason to do it — even if that reason may be viewed as tenuous and wholly self-serving. If nothing else, it makes some of us feel better, especially after dutifully and lawfully waiting our turn in crawling bumper-to-bumper traffic only to have an arrogant, aggressive and rude driver try to squeeze around your car ahead of you and dangerously force himself (or herself) into a non-existent space... something that I've witnessed cause more than a few wrecks and tie up traffic even worse. I could argue that some of us are trying to prevent the reckless cause of a traffic collision where people could possibly be hurt, property unnecessarily damaged and thousands more commuters egregiously inconvenienced. I applaud those who do so.

When/what's the next phase of this project?

Quote Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
    ODOT has amended their STIP (State Transportation Improvement Program) to include the eastbound I-44 ramp to southbound I-235. See item 66 in linked document below. That seems to indicate that ODOT is planning on starting the project in the near future rather than the 2017-2019 time frame as previously stated in the last 8-year program released in October 2011.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/p-r-d...amendments.pdf
    this is next on the list .. looks like it has been moved up quite a bit

Anyone have a rendering of the proposed changes?

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Is that shrinking the overall timeline or just rearranging things?
    Its probably just rearranging things. Trying to spread the project out a little more by doing the less complex parts of the interchange first. The major parts like NW 50th, NW 36th, and Main interstate bridge and flyovers don't start until 2016 according to the latest eight year plan. They can't really break these down into individual pieces like they are doing with the "corner" ramps. Once these start, this area will be complete mess for at least 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Is that shrinking the overall timeline or just rearranging things?
    it is moving up this piece of the project ... right now it doesn't effect the overall timeline ..

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Anyone have a rendering of the proposed changes?
    http://www.okctalk.com/transportatio...tml#post387331

that is the ramp that is already completed. .... the project that is being moved up is the east bound I44 to south bound I235

Right...I figure he can figure out the eastbound to southbound and use that rendering to envision and get a feel for scope/placement/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Right...I figure he can figure out the eastbound to southbound and use that rendering to envision and get a feel for scope/placement/etc.
    But just in case, for those that are geographically challenged and can't interpret a rendering properly, the new project would be the ramp in the lower left hand corner of the above rendering that bends over the Deep Fork Creek. ;-)

For those of you also sitting in the jam headed N on I-235 approaching I-44 around 5pm every weekday, have you noticed the idiot driving on the right hand shoulder and passing everyone this week?

Two days this week the same car has done this. This is in addition to all the impatient bloaks that ride the left lane until to the end point and force their way into line (PLEASE STOP LETTING THESE PEOPLE IN)

I have seen the OHP ticketing people near here before, but not nearly enough times, I think they avoid the area as to not have to work petty fender-benders.

You should block the shoulder off ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You should block the shoulder off ;-)
    Have done that before, several times, when there were bottlenecks further S on 35.
    Have blocked out the race to the orange barrel lane at times as well.

You can't fix stupid, but you can be an designated blocker to blockheads.

Get your point, but driving where one is allowed to drive, at a speed that is posted, isn't being a vigilante.
    Conversely, ignoring merge signs and trying to race ahead of 20-60 cars already qued up in a required merge, or worse, trying to pass that same 20-60 cars by roaring down a road shoulder is a display of stupidity and greed.

Saying no, not today and blocking the way is not inappropriate on the roadway. Now, swerving at someone at the last minute, yeah, that would be dumb and not likely to end well on several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Get your point, but driving where one is allowed to drive, at a speed that is posted, isn't being a vigilante.
    Conversely, ignoring merge signs and trying to race ahead of 20-60 cars already qued up in a required merge, or worse, trying to pass that same 20-60 cars by roaring down a road shoulder is a display of stupidity and greed.

Saying no, not today and blocking the way is not inappropriate on the roadway. Now, swerving at someone at the last minute, yeah, that would be dumb and not likely to end well on several levels.
    Yeah, right up until you make the guy so angry that he intentionally has an accident with you or follows you home to pick a fight in person. You really are better off leaving it to the cops.

18. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I come home from work via 44 to lincoln to eastbound on 36th, and it amuses me to watch the poeple exit off 235, sit at the light, the procede to get right back onto 235 just causing more traffic

Has anyone with ODOT knowledge even know if any of the additional phases of the I-44/235 reconstruction have gone out to bid?
    Is there a master plan for the process?

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    Has anyone with ODOT knowledge even know if any of the additional phases of the I-44/235 reconstruction have gone out to bid?
    Is there a master plan for the process?
    I doubt much has been bid out recently, though the closest I have see to what you are asking for is the most recent eight year construction plan, which tells roughly how much bids are expected to be and what federal funding year will be paid from (though it is not unheard of for how much to go up and when to happen later).

The line items related to that area.
    I-235/I-44 Interchange
    FFY 2016 Grade, Draining, Bridge & Surface $ 8,500,000
    FFY 2017 Grade, Draining, Bridge & Surface $20,000,000
    FFY 2018 Grade, Draining, Bridge & Surface $ 7,229,493
    FFY 2018 Grade, Draining, Bridge & Surface $31,000,000
    FFY 2019 Grade, Draining, Bridge & Surface $42,134,529
    FFY 2019 Grade, Draining, Bridge & Surface $29,000,000
    Total $137,864,022

I-44 EB, WB & On-Ramps over Deep Fork Creek
    FFY 2019 Bridge Rehabilitation $ 2,000,000

The contract for the reconstruction of the ramp from EB I-44 to SB I-235 was awarded by ODOT on Monday.

Some details:
    Contract length is 240 Calendar days.
    SB I-235 ramp to NW 50th Street will close.
    NW 50th St ramp to NB I-235 will be closed and removed.
    The bridge from SB I-235 ramp to NW 50th Street will be removed.
    Western Ave ramp to EB I-44 will remain open during construction.
    EB I-44 will be restricted to 2 lanes through the construction zone.

Well now that the project has been awarded/let, I wonder when construction will begin. Glad they're working on this next. It will be interesting to see how they go about removing that 50th St. exit bridge without disrupting the flow of traffic on 235.

Funny how ODOT will close and remove the 50th st ramps, but they won't close the dangerous Shields on-ramp onto I-240 even though the plans call for it to be closed in the future.

Yeah, but you see, The 50th St. exits/entrances for I-235 are in the way of the realigned interchange ramps so until the 35/240 interchange is redone, that Shields ramp will remain open.

I know I've said this before, I still hope they will change the clover leafs into flyovers. :3

Thread Information