Widgets Magazine
Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 317677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2314

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

1. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    They also have "no merge" on I-44 west/south from I-40, and honestly, I'm avoiding the whole interchange until the bridge work is complete. The visibility from traffic coming over the bridge is terrible
    This. When I travel through I-235 and I-44 I tend to not change highways so that's good. Yesterday morning to took I-40 W to I-44 W because there was no traffic. I had avoided going that way since bridge work had started, but I decided to go that way because traffic on my map was "green". Bad idea. Traffic was going at the speed limit. And there was no way to see. It was incredibly dangerous. I am thankful I was not hit. I will not be going that way the rest of the time they are doing that work. I presume it is the same at I-235 and I-44 in some places? How does that meet interstate standards??

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

On top of all this, for some reason there are on-ramps in OKC where two lanes merge and the lane that can't see the traffic coming up from behind is the one with the yield sign.

Two cases in point: 39th East and West to the Lake Hefner Parkway North. The 39th West lane is the one with the yield sign and it's almost impossible for a driver to see the traffic coming up behind them from 39th East. Why not have East with the yield sign as those drivers clearly can see the other lane merging in front of them?? Every single time I go this way I just pray someone isn't coming up in my left-side blindspot, because stopping to be sure will likely cause a big pile-up from behind.

It's the same merging onto I-44 from both NW Expressway and Belle Isle. Belle is the one with the yield sign while the NW Ex traffic comes up from a curved road making it almost impossible to see cars coming up from behind. Lots of people stop right before the freeway because your only other option is to just proceed and hope. It's ridiculous.

I have had more close calls in my few years back in OKC than I ever had in 25 years of insane Los Angeles freeway traffic, and I drove way, way more out there. I know it's easy to criticize but many of the decisions here make no logical sense and are needlessly dangerous.

3. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

so the ask to be gained are:

People should start sewing the city and state about this crap until they enact better designs, policies that place pedestrians (and cyclists) in higher regard.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

People should start sewing the city and state about this crap until they enact better designs, policies that place pedestrians (and cyclists) in higher regard.
    We’re talking about I44 and I235 here, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

Suing** Unless you have a ton of thread and needles.

This may be a stupid question, but once this phase is completed, is the entire project done?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but once this phase is completed, is the entire project done?
    No, they still have another phase of the project. Replacing the westbound entrance/exit ramps between Lincoln and 235, it is a bit more complex than the current layout since it adds a bridge so traffic exiting from i44 to i235 will no longer merge with the on ramp from Lincoln. I guess it technically also involves changes to the service road near those ramps, but there is so little built up off that service road, I am not sure if it is even much of an inconvenience to the people near it.

9. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    No, they still have another phase of the project. Replacing the westbound entrance/exit ramps between Lincoln and 235, it is a bit more complex than the current layout since it adds a bridge so traffic exiting from i44 to i235 will no longer merge with the on ramp from Lincoln. I guess it technically also involves changes to the service road near those ramps, but there is so little built up off that service road, I am not sure if it is even much of an inconvenience to the people near it.
    Are there any drawings or renderings of this part of the project? Don't think I've ever seen any.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    Are there any drawings or renderings of this part of the project? Don't think I've ever seen any.
    It looks like ODOT has a different version on their page for the project than I remember. Larger / more detailed versions from them tend to be burred in large pdfs, so are a bit harder to search for.

What I remembered is more like a version in this list of images to support an Oklahoman article

Do you think they'll open up the northbound and free up the detour that's in the southbound lines north of bridge before they finish the bridge

They have striped the NB lanes of I-235 just north of the I-44 bridge. Looks like they will be cutting over traffic very soon.

Looks like they will be making the change tonight

I-235/I-44 ramps close Tuesday night; use alternate route
    Drivers can expect the below I-235/I-44 interchange ramp closures from 7 p.m. Tuesday to 6 a.m. Wednesday for a northbound I-235/US-77 lane shift. Motorists should be prepared for northbound lanes to be shifted to the east into their permanent configuration by Wednesday morning, but will remain narrowed to two lanes through 2021.

The eastbound I-44 on-ramp from Western Ave. (mm 126) will be closed;
    Eastbound I-44 off-ramp to southbound I-235/US-77 (mm 127A) will be closed;
    Eastbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77 will be closed;
    Westbound I-44 off-ramp to N. 63rd St. (mm 127) will be closed;
    Westbound I-44 off-ramp to northbound US-77 (mm 127) will be closed; and
    Northbound I-235/US-77 off-ramp to N. 63rd St. will be closed.

Just took these (Wednesday morning):

Great documentation of this entire process Pete. I cannot wait for this to finish!!

16. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChicken View Post
    Great documentation of this entire process Pete. I cannot wait for this to finish!!
    ^^ Second that. As one who uses this interchange daily, this has become one of the most important threads on the site to me. If I hit the "New Posts" button, and this thread pops up, I check it first.

Still wondering if and when they are ever going to restripe the eastbound to northbound flyover to two lanes. A completely unneeded jam every morning that is maddening given that the construction on that part of the interchange has been finished for months.

The new lane configuration on the other end of that flyover is nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Still wondering if and when they are ever going to restripe the eastbound to northbound flyover to two lanes. A completely unneeded jam every morning that is maddening given that the construction on that part of the interchange has been finished for months.

The new lane configuration on the other end of that flyover is nice, though.
    I think left it that way to slow traffic down during construction. That third lane on the new NB lanes could be open now but they left it closed for the time being.

NB left lane looks closed off because they will need to build the barrier wall where the construction traffic crossovers used to be.

They finally restriped the off ramp to the flyover, glory be, hallelujah.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    They finally restriped the off ramp to the flyover, glory be, hallelujah.
    Praise be!!

How many weeks left until finished?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    How many weeks left until finished?
    It has been written, finished at the end of the year. Looks like they're going to take it all the way. Hopefully not more.

Given what is left to do, I don't think they will finish by the end of the year, which is only just over a month away.

My bet is February, and that's if they hustle.

Thread Information