Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    We like to complain about length of time to do things, but one thing you can appreciate, is that by waiting for the funding to roll in, we're not putting the state in debt for the projects. Unlike CA or even TX, a project in OK is done and paid for. We don't do it on a loan, and then have to owe interest on the project later....meaning you're always in the hole (pardon the pun). As frustrating as the length of time is, i'd rather not be in debt than get it done quickly.
    that is a solid point ..

Part of it too is where is the funding coming from? Isn't most of it coming from the Feds? If so, IIRC that was the reason given for the 10+ years to redo the Ft. Smith Junction. Because of Federal funding it got split up into different phases. Then some of it had to be re-done or altered to keep the semis from tipping over. Seems like there was one every week on the news...

On the other hand it might be cheaper to go ahead and borrow the money now and pay interest on it rather than wait 10 years when prices have doubled or tripled.

3. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Thats a good point. I would love to see the difference in money to get a loan now + interest, then pay as you go as prices flux. I just don't understand how they can stare 10 years of construction of rising accidents in the face

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Thats a good point. I would love to see the difference in money to get a loan now + interest, then pay as you go as prices flux. I just don't understand how they can stare 10 years of construction of rising accidents in the face
    against state law to borrow

Explain please, the State borrows money all of the time through bond issues etc

I thought it was the city that did bonds...like the one voted on in 2007. Not aware that the state does them.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I thought it was the city that did bonds...like the one voted on in 2007. Not aware that the state does them.
    Too bad we wasted so much money on that Indian Museum that will be unfinished instead of spending it on this road project to speed it up...

Seriously...just tax a roll of toilet paper eight cents and we'll have this thing paid for in no time.

9. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

You mention tax, but remember we didn't get that passed the last time one came around. There was a 5 cent gas tax proposal around 2006 or so. Gas was cheaper then, so everyone was all, "Oh no that's so pricey". Now it goes up 5 cents and we hardly notice. However, that 5 cents could have meant the world to transportation projects. And what better way to get a use tax than to directly link the usage to the user...the more you drive = the more you tear up the road = the more gas you get = the more you pay = the most desctructive vehicles, ie semi trucks, pay the most.

Thing are a lot of the "transportation" taxes that get diverted to other entities. If they kept all of the transportation taxes for transportation related things, they wouldn't need any increases. Of course those entities that are receiving them would need another source of funding. The problem with the tax increase the last time around was although they claimed it would be used exclusively for road needs, we have seen how well other "lockboxes" have worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Then some of it had to be re-done or altered to keep the semis from tipping over. Seems like there was one every week on the news...
    I remember that too, having to wait in traffic to go around them a few times. Seriously though, why couldn't the drivers just slow down a little? There were more than enough warning signs.

true, but why couldn't it be designed correctly so they wouldn't have to slow down or tip over? They went back and changed the grade to mitigate the problem. it can be done as there are ramps around where you dont have to slow down at all 9even though it is posted to do so)...at least in a F150 pickup or car...in fully loaded semi might be different. then there are others where they really mean it when they say slow down to 20 mph (even in a car/pickup)

First Ramp in I-235/I-44 Interchange Opens Friday Morning

Efforts to reduce congestion and improve the I-235/I-44 interchange will take a big step forward early Friday as the project to reconstruct the southbound I-235 ramp to westbound I-44 opens to traffic prior to Friday morning rush hour. This Oklahoma Department of Transportation project was the next phase in the overall Broadway Extension (US-77)/I-235/I-44 corridor reconstruction and the first major project on the I-235/I-44 interchange itself.

I wonder what is next and when it will start.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I wonder what is next and when it will start.
    the next series of ramps won't start until 2017 ..

well that's re-DONK-ulous. I'm sure it's been hashed and rehashed, but so much for the 8 year plan on this interchange. I know they have to wait for that federal funding but come on!

I tried to go northbound on 235 and loop around to head westbound but it's blocked off, so I had to loop around and go back southbound and get off on NW 50th to get to my destination. Don't go that way tonight, lol.

This thing is going to be under construction for how long?? I think ODOT should go hire whomever has the contract for the Kilpatrick work. They are really moving on that despite being of questionable necessity.....yet a long overdue reconfiguration of a heavily trafficked interchange is going to be a work zone for years.

I know ODOT is constrained by the federal funding process on this one, but I think there must to be a way to get this done sooner. As a frequent critic of ODOT, it looks like this project will be a huge benefit for thousands of people every day and is designed very well - but this is what they do best, highway construction. The only thing I would have added is building the necessary supports for future construction of additional rail bridges in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    This thing is going to be under construction for how long?? I think ODOT should go hire whomever has the contact for the Kilpatrick work. They are really moving on that despite being of questionable necessity.....yet a long overdue reconfiguration of a heavily trafficked interchange is going to be a work zone for years.

I know ODOT is constrained by the federal funding process on this one, but I think there must to be a way to get this done sooner. As a frequent critic of ODOT, it looks like this project will be a huge benefit for thousands of people every day and is designed very well - but this is what they do best, highway construction. The only thing I would have added is building the necessary supports for future construction of additional rail bridges in the area.
    The 8 year plan has money allocated through 2019. Probably the same companies bid on ODOT & OTA projects. It is more an issue of funding options allowed by the state, if ODOT could borrow money to do projects like OTA does then a similar construction time frame for projects might be possible.

HangryHippo Guest

The next series of ramps starts in 2017? The fact that this interchange might be done right about the time they need to start repair work on the first ramps completed is an outrage. This, coupled with the knowledge that several of our highway interchanges are among the worst I've seen anywhere, is an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    The next series of ramps starts in 2017? The fact that this interchange might be done right about the time they need to start repair work on the first ramps completed is an outrage. This, coupled with the knowledge that several of our highway interchanges are among the worst I've seen anywhere, is an embarrassment.
    but a lot of the reasoning for the delay from one section to the next is when the Federal Money would be allocated for this project... these are Federal roads we are talking about, and so the state isn't going to take the whole monetary burden upon themselves unless there is absolutely no alternative

ODOT did a good job on the southbound I-235 ramp to westbound I-44. The exit is now a smooth curve compared to the old chicane. Drivers need to prepare to exit earlier when deciding to take the route and also to remember to merge to the left onto I-44 or you will be forced to exit on Western. I hope the "Broadway Bottleneck" gets addressed in the next round of construction.

I agree that the ramp looks nice (haven't driven on it yet); however, the 63rd street on ramp (yes, I know it is "temporary") is a mess - I foresee that ramp causing a lot of accidents - it practically needs a stop sign in stead of a yield at the end.

A sign suggestion for those driving south from 63rd Street:

|------------------------------------------------------|
    | <<== SOUTHBOUND I-235 | WESTBOUND I-44 ==>> |

(Yes, people are always telling me that I should be a graphic artist.)

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I agree that the ramp looks nice (haven't driven on it yet); however, the 63rd street on ramp (yes, I know it is "temporary") is a mess - I foresee that ramp causing a lot of accidents - it practically needs a stop sign in stead of a yield at the end.
    Luckily, the only traffic they'll have to merge with in the future is southbound to eastbound traffic and then they'll be in line to dodge westbound to southbound traffic. Also, by the end of the project, those clover leaves will be much larger since the flyover ramps will be constructed. Just gonna have to be careful for the next 20 years (joking, joking!) until the project is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    A sign suggestion for those driving south from 63rd Street:

| <<== SOUTHBOUND I-235 | WESTBOUND I-44 ==>> |

(Yes, people are always telling me that I should be a graphic artist.)
    It'd also help if they put signs up on NE and NW 63rd showing a left lane I-235, right lane I-44 indicator.

Thread Information