Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Is I-235 not the Broadway Extension?
    Yes and no

Between i35 and 36th is Centennial Expressway, 77 & i235
    Between 36th and i44 is both Broadway Extension, 77 & i235
    Between i44 and Edmond is Broadway Extension & 77

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I love working downtown, and this junction is the sole reason I would not consider living north of I-44.
    This.

Plus, There's always I-35 or Lake Hefner Parkway to 40 or NW 10th. No suicide ramps and generally more free flowing traffic on both routes.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    How can anything with I-235 be 50-60 years old? Was not finally finished back in '89, which would make it closer to 23 years old? The I-240 interchange has been a nightmare a lot longer than that.
    Yes, Broadway Ext. north of 36th has been there at least since the 60's when my mother used to drive it to attend classes at Central State (now UCO).

Just think back not so many years when it was still the original four lane highway all the way to Edmond.

I still remember the old 4 lanes from when I was a kid in the 1980s. I remember how bumpy it was!

It was pretty rough. I think it was the original asphalt from the 60s too!

Exactly, the new interchange at Hwy 75 and Sam Rayburn Tollway (Hwy 121) took a bit over 2 years to completely redo, but it all fairness, the contractors (Sinacola) had a massive army of men and machine on site. That's what it takes, and I suspect enough $$$$ up front to make it worth to a Contractor to 'get after it'.

Here are two pictures I took on my iPhone of the new ramp to I-44 westbound. Doesn't give the full perspective, but it will give an idea at what it'll look like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-235-I-44 photo 1.JPG 
Views:	752 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	1243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-235-I-44 photo 2.JPG 
Views:	741 
Size:	374.1 KB 
ID:	1244

We moved to Edmond in 1963 and the Broadway Extension/I-44 interchange was in place at that time. Broadway Extension south of the interchange was a two lane road that merged into Santa Fe, just north of 50th St. There was no highway south of that interchange. I am not sure when that leg of Broadway Extension was built. Of course Broadway Extension north of Britton Rd was also a two lane highway.

9. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    We moved to Edmond in 1963 and the Broadway Extension/I-44 interchange was in place at that time. Broadway Extension south of the interchange was a two lane road that merged into Santa Fe, just north of 50th St. There was no highway south of that interchange. I am not sure when that leg of Broadway Extension was built. Of course Broadway Extension north of Britton Rd was also a two lane highway.
    That leg of Broadway Extension was completed in 1989 and was signed as I-235, also coined the Centennial Expressway (OKC 1889-1989).
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    That leg of Broadway Extension was completed in 1989 and was signed as I-235, also coined the Centennial Expressway (OKC 1889-1989).
    Ah, that sounds like a fitting way to commemorate a century of OKC...with a new freeway (at that time at least).

Does it seems possible that they might reconsider changing those cloverleafs to flyovers? I know it is as longshot, but that would make this interchange 1000 more times worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does it seems possible that they might reconsider changing those cloverleafs to flyovers? I know it is as longshot, but that would make this interchange 1000 more times worth the wait.
    not enough room .. and the cloverleafs that remain will be 100 times better than the ones now .... they will be bigger (higher speed) .. and they will not merge strait into mainline traffic

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    not enough room .. and the cloverleafs that remain will be 100 times better than the ones now .... they will be bigger (higher speed) .. and they will not merge strait into mainline traffic
    I am pretty sure they said it was considered and there was enough space, the issue was cost and even though this solution does have a lower capacity relative to fly overs it would handle the volume well enough.

14. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Well the cloverleafs they are putting in, are much different in how they integrate. They are larger in their circumfrance for one thing. And because they other direction has a flyover, the traffic shouldn't have to cross. So in theory, even though there is a cloverleaf on two sides, we shouldn't see any of the issues

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Well the cloverleafs they are putting in, are much different in how they integrate. They are larger in their circumfrance for one thing. And because they other direction has a flyover, the traffic shouldn't have to cross. So in theory, even though there is a cloverleaf on two sides, we shouldn't see any of the issues
    It also is only using a cloverleaf on the lowest volume paths and removes all the duel entry/exit zones from the mainlines.

Another video today of the new southbound to westbound ramp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYvMb2hJssU

I recall we are mutual admirers of that particular skyline vantage point.

It still seems strange that parts of the i235/Broadway Extension widening project will be halfway to needing resurfacing by the time they finish the entire length.

I thought this article was pretty interesting.

http://newsok.com/patience-needed-as...rticle/3687152

Interesting indeed. I loved how they talked about, if they could have they would have just shut the thing down completely so they could get it done faster but due to traffic counts, they just couldn't do that. Yet one wonders how all of that traffic made it before Broadway was built. Yes, I understand that before it was built traffic counts were less, but the point is there are alternative routes. They even allude to it as their solution:
    Angier said completion of all seven phases of the project is expected to take 10 years or longer and cost more than $200 million.
    In the meantime, the best thing motorists can do is avoid the intersection, she said.
    “We're going to have to partner with each other, the public and the department, to really go through these next few years,” she said. “We understand it's inconvenient, but we wouldn't be there if the need wasn't there.”
    So, we are supposed to avoid the area for the next 10 years (or more), when if they could have closed it down completely and cut the time down in half or less??? These folks crack me up!

HangryHippo Guest

I understand that the state doesn't allow the use of bond sales to fund road construction, but mother of god, this interchange is going to take 10 years to complete?!?! What a disappointment.

Yeah, I don't think that even if they closed the interchange down, that $200 million could be appropriated in a timely fashion.

I really think thatif they just put alot of effort and devoted themselves to just getting the damn thing done, I bet it could take about 4 years. And heck, if they need to just shut it down when times are neccesary.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It still seems strange that parts of the i235/Broadway Extension widening project will be halfway to needing resurfacing by the time they finish the entire length.
    That is insane.

25. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

We like to complain about length of time to do things, but one thing you can appreciate, is that by waiting for the funding to roll in, we're not putting the state in debt for the projects. Unlike CA or even TX, a project in OK is done and paid for. We don't do it on a loan, and then have to owe interest on the project later....meaning you're always in the hole (pardon the pun). As frustrating as the length of time is, i'd rather not be in debt than get it done quickly.

Thread Information