Widgets Magazine
Page 56 of 93 FirstFirst ... 65152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2314

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

People that wait until the last minute to merge are assholes.

It may be the most efficient way, but it is still an asshole thing to do.

I say this, as being one of those assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    People that wait until the last minute to merge are assholes.

It may be the most efficient way, but it is still an asshole thing to do.

I say this, as being one of those assholes.
    Guilty as charged!

As long as it remains legal to do so, I will continue to be an "undefeated" zipper merger.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    A close look at this rendering would suggest that there will be three full thru lanes.
    It merges back to two. There is only 4 lanes past the junction, and each direction of i44 traffic will get a dedicated lane, it may be so the junction can handle later expansion of the roads past it

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Wow, quite a feisty group here they are digging deep on the interwebs to argue a small point lol.

1. The backups happen for about 4 hours per day (2 each morning/afternoon).

2. In the other 20 hours the merging at end works exactly fine because no traffic is backed up.

3. The arguments do not hold water because the thru lanes are never fully backed up for miles. This means there is ample time to merge over beforehand.

4. Those who cannot wait in line an extra minute of their life put many others at risk by speeding (breaking the law) by traffic that is going between stopped to 20)

5. Those having to jump the line are selfish in trying to cut in line.

6. It works perfectly in the southbound merging area south of Hefner because traffic is flowing at speed.

7. I love being undefeated and the road ragers have to get in somewhere behind me - because I am legally entitled to my lane and if they hit me they are at blame for improper lane change.

8. Still undefeated and not selfish as I waited my turn in line

9. Those who are always speeding in the merge lane are the same ones who would outjump a kid trying to catch a homerun baseball and thump their chests at beating a kid to it.

10. When you cause a wreck by speeding and someone is killed or hurt, I hope you finally realize that 1 minute you tried to save wasn’t worth it

To recap, in normal traffic (non rush) it works fine. Its only the 2 hours from 4-6 that has some thinking they are better than others and warrant special treatment by butting in line. I will still be undefeated while you road rage and pay tickets. I just hope you don’t crash into someone who is hitting their brakes hard causing the car behind to move left and you coming at 60-70 hit them from behind moving 0-10. Yes, I have seen some close calls like where an accident was narrowly averted all because someone can’t wait 1 extra minute and speeds in the merge lane.

Signed: Undefeated and staying that way. (Note: I love how you focus on the word undefeated vice the actual safety hazards you are creating lol)
    Remember to go out and vote, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    Guilty as charged!

As long as it remains legal to do so, I will continue to be an "undefeated" zipper merger.
    ::shakes fist at you:: Sometimes I ride both lanes to make your all's lives harder

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    ::shakes fist at you:: Sometimes I ride both lanes to make your all's lives harder
    Seen that several times as well... and I typically drive around those "undefeated" as well.

Shouts to everyone in the last 2-3 pages of this thread for reminding us why traffic jams and road rage occur.

8. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

What exactly do you get for winning at Interstate 235? Do you get a golden traffic cone to put on your mantle? Do the toll booths start to pay you instead? Dying to know.

Looks like by tomorrow morning, both EB and WB I-44 will be shifted away from the middle so that bridge piers can be built.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    What exactly do you get for winning at Interstate 235? Do you get a golden traffic cone to put on your mantle? Do the toll booths start to pay you instead? Dying to know.
    i don't drive this way but my guess is they would say 5 min a day if you are the merger ..... and just satisfaction if you are the blocker

11. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i don't drive this way but my guess is they would say 5 min a day if you are the merger ..... and just satisfaction if you are the blocker
    Not even a T-shirt? This is why we should fund transportation better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Not even a T-shirt? This is why we should fund transportation better.
    While I strongly agree that we should fund transportation better, I don't think people ignorant about zipper-merging and/or willfully uncooperative with zipper-mergers are among the most compelling reasons.

If anyone has not driven through here recently they won’t understand how enormous this project is. Massive work going on end to end and side to side and top to bottom. Above 235, at 235 and below 235 on 44. From 50th to 63rd. Its fascinating to see day to day.

And they’ve kept speed limit to at least 45 all project long. The last project (R/R and 50th) the speed was 35. Kudos to the contractor for keeping traffic flowing as good as can be expected. So many roads impacted too.

^

I'll get some new drone shots this weekend.

It's fun to follow these big projects, especially the ones that change rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

thank you and man it really is

it is cool to go back to the beginning of this thread and see the progression

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Thanks for your pics, love seeing them. I do wish they had a few live cams like last section had.

On this project there must be over 20-30 segment projects going on at same time. Each its own pod working alone yet in harmony with the others. Your pics help because even driving it every day its hard to see everything - have to focus on navigating the narrow lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    thank you and man it really is

it is cool to go back to the beginning of this thread and see the progression
    Also, the first post in this thread was:

12-25-2010

Wow

There have been quite a few more spans hung since the last pictures, so there should be some nicely visible progress.

Just took these (open in new tab for hi-res):

^^^

Great pictures Pete! Thanks

This project is 1 mile long and its quite amazing to see it day by day. That 235n to 44w flyover is up there in the air. The only worry with flyovers is icy winter roads and winds. I wonder if they install those automated deicers? I know they did some others in past and I think they failed so not sure if they do them any longer?

Great pics as always Pete!

One request, could you set up on the northeast and get some shots of what is happening in that quadrant back to Lincoln? Thanks!

Great pics as always Pete!

One request, could you set up on the northeast and get some shots of what is happening in that quadrant back to Lincoln? Thanks!

Thanks Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Also, the first post in this thread was:

12-25-2010

Wow
    I have been bitching about this intersection for over 9 years I guess. I'm glad we are nearing completion. It has been so long that I have moved and no longer deal with this intersection anymore.

Nice pics...thanks for sharing them! I know this is a crazy thought BUT what are the chances ODOT will provide some regional trees to plant in the open areas around the loops. If ODOT had the funds and some creative insight they would really, really make that area look beautiful. I know, I know....beautification of our highways isn't a priority. Dang it.

Thread Information