Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2314

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

AZ funds tons of civic projects.

Also note Arizona has no toll roads(that I’m aware of). They have a much better government than Oklahoma. Phoenix is also about to expand its light rail system. With Phoenix widening the broadway curve, I-17 being expanded to Black Canyon and reversible lanes, I-10 through the gila reserve expanded, and I-11 most notably around Kingman and onto Nevada border(we will know about that project in 2020), there are scores of projects being undertaken in Arizona and it is quite remarkable.

Tucson is also poised to get 2 new freeways(if the anti freeway sentiment there doesn’t kill it) and Phoenix has several new routes being studied. SR-24 will be extended a few miles(phase one) and I’m sure the 303 will be eyeballed for an extension.

It is a bit unfair to compare OKC to Phoenix though as Phoenix arguably has one of the best freeway networks in the country. Salt Lake City is posed to give them a run for their money once all of their expansion plans come to fruition which is a massive undertaking as well. I can only hope OKC follows in the foot steps of Phoenix in regards to its freeway system.

2. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    AZ funds tons of civic projects.

Also note Arizona has no toll roads(that I’m aware of). They have a much better government than Oklahoma. Phoenix is also about to expand its light rail system. With Phoenix widening the broadway curve, I-17 being expanded to Black Canyon and reversible lanes, I-10 through the gila reserve expanded, and I-11 most notably around Kingman and onto Nevada border(we will know about that project in 2020), there are scores of projects being undertaken in Arizona and it is quite remarkable.

Tucson is also poised to get 2 new freeways(if the anti freeway sentiment there doesn’t kill it) and Phoenix has several new routes being studied. SR-24 will be extended a few miles(phase one) and I’m sure the 303 will be eyeballed for an extension.
    A much better government how?

Of couse they fund civic programs. Everyone does. My point was OKCs decision was to use discretionary tax revenue on MAPS where AZ saw their population about to explode and smartly built highways using tax revenue, not tolls. AZ has twice the population, a bit higher per capita income, far less road milage to maintain, far more tourism dollars of revenue......its really not a valid comparison or something else to hang the OK sucks and everywhere else is better. Really, why do you hang around if you think OK is so bad? I truly don't understand the mentality. I'd move back in a heartbeat if my work allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    A much better government how?

Of couse they fund civic programs. Everyone does. My point was OKCs decision was to use discretionary tax revenue on MAPS where AZ saw their population about to explode and smartly built highways using tax revenue, not tolls. AZ has twice the population, a bit higher per capita income, far less road milage to maintain, far more tourism dollars of revenue......its really not a valid comparison or something else to hang the OK sucks and everywhere else is better. Really, why do you hang around if you think OK is so bad? I truly don't understand the mentality. I'd move back in a heartbeat if my work allowed.
    I’ll respond to your other points if you can tell me where I said Oklahoma was so bad or explain why you think I believe that... best we hash that out before any further conversation because you are wrong. I love Oklahoma and OKC.

4. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Just the statement that AZ has a much better government than OK. Exactly how do you figure that? So many on here really don't understand that every states goverment has it's flaws. Colorado is getting a lot of CA businesses because CA is taxing the majority of their businesses out of existence. As a result, COs state government feels they can affoard to blatently go against what voters turned down 3 times and impose strict fracking bans. Then, the government gripes about why CO voters twice voted down special tax revenue packages for more highway money.

AZ has major immigration problems, schools ranking near the worst in the US, water shortages. Texas has problems, and OK definitely has problems. I'm just constantly amazed at the volume of OK bashing on here. Its really not much better except in a very few places. I've lived in 11 different states in my life and Texas was probably the one state that seemed to have plenty of tax spending on about everything. NY and CT were awful. CO spends tons on environmental issues, as you might expect, but has chronic school funding and highway funding problems.

Oklahoma consistently ranks at the bottom of every good list and the top of every bad one. Sure there are exceptions to that but anecdotally I’ve noticed what I said to be the rule. The bashing of Oklahoma shouldn’t be surprising and doesn’t mean those that do bash it hate the state.

Arizona has a much better active transportation network, road network, better infrastructure, better quality of life with more amenities, more social services, and Arizona places higher emphasis on land preservation. Mass transit is better in Arizona in general too.

These are steps Arizona has taken to improve itself and it is why the state is doing better than Oklahoma.

I am not sure why you are bringing up Colorado. Colorado has a huge freeway network in Denver but yes I agree with you their system leaves much to be desired. Colorado doesn’t strike me as the most freeway friendly state yet isn’t as anti-freeway as Oregon or NYSDOT.

Perhaps I missed your point in your original post but you can find always find ways to invalidate comparisons of Oklahoma to other states. Every state is unique and has its own challenges. Just because someone criticizes Oklahoma doesn’t mean they hate it. You need to grow some thicker skin and stop subscribing to Oklahoma mantra of “if you don’t like it leave” or my personal favorite “don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord spit ya.” Give me a break.

PS, I respect you Mug and I apologize in advance if my post came off harsh but telling me I hate Oklahoma is ridiculous!

PPS, I can talk a lot more sh!t on California than Oklahoma even though I love both of those places.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I wonder how many cars a day were driving on this while it was built.

Otherwise it’s basically the JKT from SH 74 to I 40.
    Well none, obviously, on the 22 new miles of road, but I-10 was full of cars while they built the new interchange on the west side. The SE interchange was built years ago for the San Tan portion of the 202 and anticipation of this South Mountain portion.
    The OTA did a good job widening the Turner and did it quickly but their interchange designs are still a joke and they still end/ add the left lane. The #1 lane should always be the #1 lane. Through traffic is accustomed to staying to the left and transitioning traffic does so to the right (well in other states)

OKC is actually one of the few cities they doesn’t have a plague of left exits and entrances around its downtown.

Oklahoma consistently ranks at the bottom of every good list and the top of every bad one. Sure there are exceptions to that but anecdotally I’ve noticed what I said to be the rule. The bashing of Oklahoma shouldn’t be surprising and doesn’t mean those that do bash it hate the state.

Arizona has a much better active transportation network, road network, better infrastructure, better quality of life with more amenities, more social services, and Arizona places higher emphasis on land preservation. Mass transit is better in Arizona in general too.

These are steps Arizona has taken to improve itself and it is why the state is doing better than Oklahoma.

My son has lived in Scottsdale for 5 years now. I've got other relatives from the Phoenix area that have been there for years. They all say the traffic in their metro sucks terrible. Even though they are building new roads, the population rivals Dallas. They hate driving in Phoenix, say drivers are dangerous, etc. and it takes forever to get anywhere during the rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    My son has lived in Scottsdale for 5 years now. I've got other relatives from the Phoenix area that have been there for years. They all say the traffic in their metro sucks terrible. Even though they are building new roads, the population rivals Dallas. They hate driving in Phoenix, say drivers are dangerous, etc. and it takes forever to get anywhere during the rush.
    This is, honestly, just about anywhere in America. The only reason OKC's traffic isn't worse is because we're only the 40th largest Metro in the country. And even saying that, the traffic here has certainly gotten worse in recent years. If we ever have a Metro population that rivals DFW's, we'll almost certainly have traffic to rival DFW as well.

Oklahoma is not a donor state through the federal gas tax. Currently, Texas is the only state in the entire country who sends more money to the fed via the gas tax than it receives back. The Highway Trust Fund regularly raids other fed revenue sources to bridge the funding gap. Similarly, The majority of ODOTs budget comes from State income taxes not from the state gas tax. The system is broken because the combined state and federal gas taxes don’t come close to paying for any of these projects. No large state is blackmailing any other states. In fact, the Highway Trust Fund formula for distributing the fed gas tax dollars overly benefits rural areas and low population states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Phoenix nowhere near rivals Dallas in population. Dallas has some 3 million more people in their metro area than Phoenix.

12. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I am not sure why you are bringing up Colorado. Colorado has a huge freeway network in Denver but yes I agree with you their system leaves much to be desired. Colorado doesn’t strike me as the most freeway friendly state yet isn’t as anti-freeway as Oregon or NYSDOT.

Perhaps I missed your point in your original post but you can find always find ways to invalidate comparisons of Oklahoma to other states. Every state is unique and has its own challenges. Just because someone criticizes Oklahoma doesn’t mean they hate it. You need to grow some thicker skin and stop subscribing to Oklahoma mantra of “if you don’t like it leave” or my personal favorite “don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord spit ya.” Give me a break.

PS, I respect you Mug and I apologize in advance if my post came off harsh but telling me I hate Oklahoma is ridiculous!

PPS, I can talk a lot more sh!t on California than Oklahoma even though I love both of those places.
    In the spirit of the Season, my appologies. Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    In the spirit of the Season, my appologies. Merry Christmas!
    Merry Christmas to you and a great New Years for you and your family!

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Phoenix nowhere near rivals Dallas in population. Dallas has some 3 million more people in their metro area than Phoenix.
    You must not realize the California invasion of the Arizona desert in the last couple of years - 5 million people is not much different than Dallas - Yes it's less than the DFW metroplex but not Dallas.

The Phoenix Metropolitan Area – often referred to as the Valley of the Sun, the Salt River Valley, or Metro Phoenix – is a metropolitan area, centered on the city of Phoenix, that includes much of the central part of the U.S. State of Arizona. The United States Office of Management and Budget designates the area as the Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), defining it as Maricopa and Pinal counties. As of the Census Bureau's 2017 population estimates, Metro Phoenix had 4,737,270 residents, making it the 11th largest Metropolitan Area in the nation by population.

Almost 5 million 2 years ago...... I'm sure 2019 is much more.

For this weekend:

I-234, I-44 ramps close, I-44 narrows at Lincoln Blvd. Saturday
    Drivers can expect the following closures from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday for barrier wall movement
    The northbound I-235 ramp to westbound I-44 will be closed
    The westbound I-44 on-ramp from Lincoln Blvd. will be closed
    Westbound I-44 will be narrowed to one lane between Lincoln Blvd. (mm 128A) and Western Ave. (mm 126)
    I-235/I-44 interchange work continues through 2021; expect lane and ramp shifts
    Drivers should be alert to the following traffic impacts in the I-235/US-77 construction zone at I-44 for ongoing reconstruction and widening that continues through 2021:
    Motorists should be alert to changing conditions including lane shifts, narrowed lanes and workers along I-235 between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St.
    Northbound and southbound I-235 will remain open to two lanes in each direction during peak commute hours, but may narrow to one lane some nights and weekends.
    Drivers are advised to use extra caution when merging onto southbound I-235/US-77 from N. 63rd St. as this on-ramp is shifted and the merge area will be shorter into early 2020.
    East and westbound I-44 is narrowed and lanes shifted significantly between Lincoln Blvd. (mm 128A) and Western Ave. (mm 126) through 2020, speed limit is reduced.
    The northbound I-235 off-ramp to N. 50th St. (mm 4A) is narrowed to one lane and Santa Fe Ave. is closed between N.E. 50th St. and N.E. 51st St. through winter 2019 for intersection modification. Motorists are advised to use an alternate route.
    Motorists also should expect intermittent ramp closures throughout the project.
    Motorists are reminded to use their Off Broadway alternate routes such as I-40, I-44, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Martin Luther King Ave. More information: https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-235_I-44_interchange.html

good thing it is I-234 so not impacting my route

There is a shiny new high capacity crawler crane that was assembled this past week on the southwest side of the interchange. Its a lot bigger than what has been out there in the past. They must be getting ready to start placing beams for the flyovers.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    There is a shiny new high capacity crawler crane that was assembled this past week on the southwest side of the interchange. Its a lot bigger than what has been out there in the past. They must be getting ready to start placing beams for the flyovers.
    Can’t wait. Plus once they open flyovers it will reduce traffic counts on the 235/44 bridge which will help as project gets to nitty gritty stages

From ODOT

The I-235/I-44 Off Broadway project in Oklahoma City is ready for an encore of full weekend closures starting Jan. 24 to allow the contractor to safely hang new bridge beams over the interstate. This will be the first of up to five full interstate closures this year for the up to $105 million interchange reconstruction.

Northbound and southbound I-235 will be closed between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St.. The closure will begin at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24, after the evening rush-hour and the interstate is expected to reopen no later than 6 a.m. Monday, Jan. 27, weather permitting but with the possibility of opening earlier if work completes.

Motorists also can expect the following ramp closures during this period:

Eastbound I-44 to southbound I-235;
    Eastbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77;
    Westbound I-44 to southbound I-235;
    Westbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77; and
    Northbound I-235 off-ramp to N. 63rd St.
    I-235/US-77 will reopen to two lanes of travel in each direction, but the corridor remains narrow with little room to maneuver. Additional lane closures and traffic shifts will continue to occur throughout 2020 as lanes are added and the construction contract allows up to four additional complete interstate closures for a weekend each time. Those closures will be announced as information becomes available.

Motorists are reminded to stay Off Broadway for the duration of the project, if possible, and use alternate routes such as I-35, I-40, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, Lincoln Blvd. and Martin Luther King Ave.

They started hanging EB to NB beams today. Doesnt seem like it will take them to hang three beams over I235 next weekend. I wonder if their doing NB to WB beams that same weekend.

One thing I can say (so far) this project has kept traffic flowing smoother than last one. The lowest speed is 45 whereas last one had it 35. Granted, can’t do 45 during rush but when 35 you had drivers slowing down to 30 even before needed and it stacked traffic up backwards bigtime. Now people drive safe yet can pace higher as allowed compared to before.

Can’t wait to see these go in and get cars moved to them.

Wish they would have a live cam of hanging the flyover pieces like they did with RR trusses. Anyone know of one?

It appears the northbound lanes will be moved west next to southbound lanes this weekend. Also noticed they hung beans on some of the flyover pillars. Not all but some.

Oklahoma Department of Transportation
    @OKDOT
    OKC: NB and SB I-235/US-77 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St. from 7 p.m. Friday to 6 p.m. Saturday for ongoing paving work. Motorists should expect new traffic patterns when lanes reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    It appears the northbound lanes will be moved west next to southbound lanes this weekend. Also noticed they hung beans on some of the flyover pillars. Not all but some.

Oklahoma Department of Transportation
    @OKDOT
    OKC: NB and SB I-235/US-77 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St. from 7 p.m. Friday to 6 p.m. Saturday for ongoing paving work. Motorists should expect new traffic patterns when lanes reopen.
    They got a significant amount hung in a couple of days. They closed interstate for a brief period of time yesterday for the crane to cross to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    They got a significant amount hung in a couple of days. They closed interstate for a brief period of time yesterday for the crane to cross to the other side.
    Looks cool can’t wait for this project to be done though. They seem to be making great progress.

One note I wish they used taller cement barriers when driving at night its blinding with not much road markings and headlights facing you from opposing side.

Thread Information