Widgets Magazine
Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1480
  1. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Looks like their planning the next nightmare of dangerous merges. This time involving I-44 ramps.
    Those who think it's too dangerous don't have to go that route... which is something ODOT has been encouraging drivers to do... use alternate routes. I drive through there every day and it's treacherous, but drivable... with the exception of that on ramp from 63rd, which I now no longer use because it's too treacherous than I'm comfortable with. I'm actually grateful that it's not presently as disruptive as it potentially could be. It's not fun, but growing pains are rarely fun.

  2. #1202

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'm a bit curious about why the NB to WB flyover piers are all single but the EB to NB ones that are starting to go up are double, Differences in height requirements, maybe?
    Width requirements. EB to NB has two lanes because one of those lanes exits directly to 63rd

  3. #1203

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    Those who think it's too dangerous don't have to go that route... which is something ODOT has been encouraging drivers to do... use alternate routes. I drive through there every day and it's treacherous, but drivable... with the exception of that on ramp from 63rd, which I now no longer use because it's too treacherous than I'm comfortable with. I'm actually grateful that it's not presently as disruptive as it potentially could be. It's not fun, but growing pains are rarely fun.
    Then they should close it and advertised using alternate route.

  4. #1204

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Then they should close it and advertised using alternate route.
    Seems logical. Unless its written in contract lanes must stay open with limited closings. Thats my guess. I don’t blame buildersI blame state and whoever wrote this contract.

  5. #1205

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Seems logical. Unless its written in contract lanes must stay open with limited closings. Thats my guess. I don’t blame buildersI blame state and whoever wrote this contract.
    Sure, it is ultimately the states fault. The state is giving them a bonus for early completion, but the contractor cuts corners on safety to get this bonus. The SB lanes were not supposed to even start until NB flyover ramps and main bridge was done according to the suggested construction sequencing. I get it: this is in everyone's interest, but its also in everyone's interest in just go ahead and close 63rd on ramp. The state should know by now how contractors operate.

  6. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Then they should close it and advertised using alternate route.
    Or they should keep doing what they are doing now and let drivers decide whether they feel comfortable enough to drive through that area... people can choose on their own to avoid the area altogether without penalizing the tens of thousands of drivers that seem to be able to competently navigate this area.

  7. #1207

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    Or they should keep doing what they are doing now and let drivers decide whether they feel comfortable enough to drive through that area... people can choose on their own to avoid the area altogether without penalizing the tens of thousands of drivers that seem to be able to competently navigate this area.
    I think you misinterpreted his comments. By shutting off a trickle of traffic (63rd) you enhance safety of all drivers. In other words by keeping the 63rd on ramp open compromises every driver using 235 South.

    It really is a coin flip if the car from 63rd will accelerate fast enough and if the 235 south traffic can jack on brakes fast enough to avoid a crash. Traffic is 45mph on 235 south there. The ramp has a yield sign but 63rd ramp traffic is actually stopped. 63rd traffic has to look over a concrete wall coming from a bend in road to know if they have enough room to enter. Most 63rd drivers just goose it and go and pray 235s slows down enough to not hit them. But you end up with lots of rubber band braking since cars behind on 235s react to brakes. And then the left 235 lane also reacts.

    Its stupid to keep it open for the limited traffic. But that limited traffic endangers all if 235s traffic.

  8. #1208

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I think you misinterpreted his comments. By shutting off a trickle of traffic (63rd) you enhance safety of all drivers. In other words by keeping the 63rd on ramp open compromises every driver using 235 South.

    It really is a coin flip if the car from 63rd will accelerate fast enough and if the 235 south traffic can jack on brakes fast enough to avoid a crash. Traffic is 45mph on 235 south there. The ramp has a yield sign but 63rd ramp traffic is actually stopped. 63rd traffic has to look over a concrete wall coming from a bend in road to know if they have enough room to enter. Most 63rd drivers just goose it and go and pray 235s slows down enough to not hit them. But you end up with lots of rubber band braking since cars behind on 235s react to brakes. And then the left 235 lane also reacts.

    Its stupid to keep it open for the limited traffic. But that limited traffic endangers all if 235s traffic.
    Just for clarification, I'm talking about 63rd only. Obviously they shouldn't shut down I-44 or I-235.
    They are shutting down 63rd off ramp for over a month in the future. So its not like its a crazy idea or anything.

    Not sure how they came up with the requirement of having to shutdown 63rd off-ramp for over a month. I guess they draw the line somewhere.
    I just think there is a disconnect with what ODOT deems as safe and what the contractor deems safe. ODOT never looks back into it after the fact. Like I mentioned before, the suggested sequencing is completely different from what their doing now.

  9. #1209

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Width requirements. EB to NB has two lanes because one of those lanes exits directly to 63rd
    That makes sense.

  10. #1210

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    I know this isn't related to the interchange. I noticed 122nd on and off ramps are finally getting stoplights.

  11. #1211

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Oklahoma Department of Transportation
    @OKDOT
    OKC: The SB I-235 on-ramp from N. 63rd St. was switched to new pavement this afternoon providing a longer merge area. However, motorists are advised to be vigilant as they enter the work zone. The ramp will remain in this configuration through the end of the year. #OffBroadway
    5:04 PM Nov 1, 2019

  12. #1212

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Oklahoma Department of Transportation
    @OKDOT
    OKC: The SB I-235 on-ramp from N. 63rd St. was switched to new pavement this afternoon providing a longer merge area. However, motorists are advised to be vigilant as they enter the work zone. The ramp will remain in this configuration through the end of the year. #OffBroadway
    5:04 PM Nov 1, 2019
    I drove it at 630pm via the I-44 offramp which merges into the 63rd ramp. Asphalt lovely, safety of the merge still @#&!!

  13. #1213

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I drove it at 630pm via the I-44 offramp which merges into the 63rd ramp. Asphalt lovely, safety of the merge still @#&!!
    You have to love how both ramps have a yield sign. Might as well put up a stop sign at that point. It is better still than previous setup.

  14. #1214

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Lots of pillars up now we need a new pic.

    Also the new way they have 63rd get to 235 South is much better. They have them merging with the 44w to 235s lanes and that works much better.

    Why do cars slow way down when they see the cop car sitting there every day? He never moves its just something they do to get peoples attention. I would argue it distracts them from road and workers as cars already going posted speed slow way down below limit when they see it. Every day, same thing.

  15. #1215

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Lots of pillars up now we need a new pic.

    Also the new way they have 63rd get to 235 South is much better. They have them merging with the 44w to 235s lanes and that works much better.

    Why do cars slow way down when they see the cop car sitting there every day? He never moves its just something they do to get peoples attention. I would argue it distracts them from road and workers as cars already going posted speed slow way down below limit when they see it. Every day, same thing.
    You answered your own question. It's to get people to slow down so they don't keep going 65 through a construction zone.

  16. #1216

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    You answered your own question. It's to get people to slow down so they don't keep going 65 through a construction zone.
    Problem is they over-slow down and cause accidents and panic. As you enter its 45 and just past 44 overpass it goes to 50. No need to slow down to 30 entering with no one ahead of you just because you see blue lights on the other side of barriers. It creates more harm than good imo. These drivers now focus on police instead of looking at work area. And with panicked drivers in the work zone one has to watch the car ahead closely because they slam on brakes for no reason. This means there is less focus on workers. Some should take side roads and all of us would have a better drive

  17. #1217

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Problem is they over-slow down and cause accidents and panic. As you enter its 45 and just past 44 overpass it goes to 50. No need to slow down to 30 entering with no one ahead of you just because you see blue lights on the other side of barriers. It creates more harm than good imo. These drivers now focus on police instead of looking at work area. And with panicked drivers in the work zone one has to watch the car ahead closely because they slam on brakes for no reason. This means there is less focus on workers. Some should take side roads and all of us would have a better drive
    People fly up to the point of no return, then have to slam on their breaks. I have seen it multiple times. Rather than obey the posted limits, everyone flies, then has to come to a screeching halt.

  18. #1218

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    People fly up to the point of no return, then have to slam on their breaks. I have seen it multiple times. Rather than obey the posted limits, everyone flies, then has to come to a screeching halt.
    I totally agree. But imo the cop needs to be parked 1/2 mile upstream vs parked in the actual work zone. He never leaves and has too many barriers. Parked 1/2 mile before work zone would get drivers to slow down before the work zone.

    My point is I want drivers focused on workers and hazards in zone vs cops and speed. If you get them to 45 prior to zone then it will be smoother as they enter/traverse. At least then if anyone does the go fast and brake it will be outside the workzone.

    Its all about cop placement is what I am suggesting and as stands it creates a hazard within the zone. For some reason people panic when they see blue lights. The speed is posted as 45 and is a safe speed. 30 to 35 with no one ahead is more dangerous as it stacks cars.

    They are making great progress and lots of pillars up.

  19. #1219

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    They must read OKC Talk lol. Today the cop was parked about 1/4 mile before the work zone and cars slowed down ahead and the flow was awesome and no brake slamming either. Hope they keep this up!

  20. #1220

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    The flow was probably better today because it is Thanksgiving week and more people are off work than a normal work week. I feel like I see the same thing on Fridays, less traffic and better time through the construction.

  21. #1221

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The flow was probably better today because it is Thanksgiving week and more people are off work than a normal work week. I feel like I see the same thing on Fridays, less traffic and better time through the construction.
    I agree about less commuters but Mon was same volume and had more problems due to cop location imo. Getting them to slow earlier before the zone hells as there is no zone workers/barriers to worry about. So their focus is solely on slowing down before they enter and now that speeds are less yet no 30 or 35 drivers it seems to flow better plus can focus on worker safety vice cops.

  22. #1222

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Any idea when theyll hang beams? Will they have a bunch done before they close the area for a weekend?

  23. #1223

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Quote Originally Posted by JDSooners View Post
    Any idea when theyll hang beams? Will they have a bunch done before they close the area for a weekend?
    It will probably be shortly after the pier in the median of I44 is completed. They are shifting lanes again tonight and tomorrow night. I think they are planning on giving them more room to get a crawer crane in there to lift rebar cage and formwork. That same crane can then be used to lift beams over I444.

  24. #1224

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

    Saw this:

    I-44 lanes shift at Western Ave. beginning Monday night

    Drivers should expect the following closures for east and westbound I-44 beginning Monday for temporary striping as part of an ongoing interchange project.

    Eastbound I-44 will be significantly shifted between Western Ave. (mm 126) and Lincoln Blvd. (mm 128A) from 7 p.m. Monday to 6 a.m. Tuesday and again from 7 p.m. Tuesday to 6 a.m. Wednesday.
    Westbound I-44 will be significantly shifted between Lincoln Blvd. (mm 128A) and Western Ave. (mm 126) from 7 p.m. Wednesday to 6 a.m. Thursday and again from 7 p.m. Thursday to 6 a.m. Friday.
    Motorists should expect delays and congestion in this area and consider using their Off Broadway alternate routes such as I-35, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, I-40 and Martin Luther King Ave.

    I-235/I-44 interchange work continues through 2021; expect lane and ramp shifts

    Drivers should be alert to the following traffic impacts in the I-235/US-77 construction zone at I-44 for ongoing reconstruction and widening that continues through 2021:

    Motorists should be alert to changing conditions including lane shifts, narrowed lanes and workers along I-235 between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St.
    Northbound and southbound I-235 will remain open to two lanes in each direction during peak commute hours, but may narrow to one lane some nights and weekends.
    Two lanes of I-235/US-77 in each direction are significantly shifted through fall. Motorists should be vigilant for new traffic patterns and movements and shorter merge distances at the on- and off-ramps.
    East and westbound I-44 is narrowed between Lincoln Blvd. (mm 128A) and Western Ave. (mm 126) through fall 2019, speed limit is reduced.
    The northbound I-235 off-ramp to N. 50th St. (mm 4A) is narrowed to one lane and Santa Fe Ave. is closed between N.E. 50th St. and N.E. 51st St. through early winter 2019 for intersection modification as part of an ongoing project. Motorists are advised to use an alternate route.
    The southbound I-235 on-ramp from N. 63rd St. is shifted onto the new pavement. Use caution when merging into the work zone.
    Motorists also should expect intermittent ramp closures throughout the project.
    Motorists are reminded to use their Off Broadway alternate routes such as I-40, I-44, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway and Martin Luther King Ave. More information: https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-235_I-44_interchange.html

  25. #1225

    Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange





Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Weekend Ramp Closure @ NE.23 at I-235
    By Keith in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
  2. I-240 / I-35 Interchange
    By oudirtypop in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 02:23 PM
  3. I-240 Interchange Plans Have Major Flaws
    By JOHNINSOKC in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 03:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO