Widgets Magazine
Page 47 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2314

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

^

Right, but if you consider the full project, it's been several years of construction.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    About a year and a half for the western segment. The bridge took the longest amount of time. Everything else you can tell wasn't a priority due to the bridge not even being done.

There is still some paver, streetlight, and landscaping work that needs to be done for the central segment, but to be fair a lot of that is tied to park construction.
    Makes me wonder how much faster they could have gotten the overall project done without the stupid bridge.

Slowly but surely making progress on this. The piers are coming along and they got a lot of grading and roadbed work done for southbound lanes. A southbound bridge is being built of the creek. They are building up the grade within the northbound cloverleafs for the approaches for the new northbound bridge.

4. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I just want it done so they can free up funding and get back to finishing the 240/35 junction.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I just want it done so they can free up funding and get back to finishing the 240/35 junction.
    2 more years. So far its not been too impactful they kept posted speeds at 50mph whereas last just completed phase had posted speeds of 35mph.

But once school starts up it will get bad again. Right now lots of people on vacations so less traffic.

One quirk I’ve noticed is Wed seems to be a much bigger traffic load than other days. I wonder if a lot of home office workers report to company offices on Wed? Its a pattern I’ve noticed a lot.

Lets hope they get done early so can claim incentive money. Long ways to go though.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Currently the interchange is scheduled to start in 2021 and everything go up at once. OkDOT shifted focus from phases to an all at once approach. Congress is debating a new freeway spending bill will provide about a 30 percent increase over the last passed several years back. Stitt has continually spoken of making Oklahoma a top ten state so maybe this next season some more money will be allotted for OkDOT. OkDOT should release an update to their 8yr plan in the coming months so stay tuned; maybe you'll be surprised.

I agree with you this interchange should be completed sooner rather than later. Hopefully we are surprised. In the mean time if you haven't seen it, OkDOT has released a new interactive map that has a tracker tool and each project given updates every month in terms of progress measured in percentages broken down by each phase along with letting dates, documentation, and up to date schedules. August update should be any day now. I have my beef with OkDOT but I applaud them for this great tool.

https://biappsrv.odot.ok.gov/apex/f?p=129:2:::NO:2::

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Currently the interchange is scheduled to start in 2021 and everything go up at once. OkDOT shifted focus from phases to an all at once approach. Congress is debating a new freeway spending bill will provide about a 30 percent increase over the last passed several years back. Stitt has continually spoken of making Oklahoma a top ten state so maybe this next season some more money will be allotted for OkDOT. OkDOT should release an update to their 8yr plan in the coming months so stay tuned; maybe you'll be surprised.

I agree with you this interchange should be completed sooner rather than later. Hopefully we are surprised. In the mean time if you haven't seen it, OkDOT has released a new interactive map that has a tracker tool and each project given updates every month in terms of progress measured in percentages broken down by each phase along with letting dates, documentation, and up to date schedules. August update should be any day now. I have my beef with OkDOT but I applaud them for this great tool.

I was skeptical about ODOT keeping up the new Project page but I've been pleasantly surprised. PluPan is right, it's a great tool to keep up with projects, especially when you don't have a call or JP number.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

Aug is updated it shows project as 18% complete.

This is comments looks like big 44 impacts in Sep:

Oklahoma

Project Award Information
    Contractor: Allen Contracting, Inc Construction Start Date: March 25, 2019 Project Duration (Days): 900
    Scheduled Completion Date: Fall 2021
    Traffic Impacts
    Multiple bridges foundations and substructures are under construction. Storm drain and roadway construction are underway project wide. A major traffic switch on I-44 is expected in late September 2019

Those updates call for a major traffic switch in I44 in late Sept 2019.

Any idea what this means?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Those updates call for a major traffic switch in I44 in late Sept 2019.

Any idea what this means?
    No idea. I don't think their touching the main lanes of I-44. My guess its shifting lanes on the westbound side to accommodate work on the northeastern part of the project.

Pete, when you can, could we get some drone aerials of the construction progress? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    Pete, when you can, could we get some drone aerials of the construction progress? Thanks.
    I'll do that this week.

It's been so hot my drone is overheating!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll do that this week.

It's been so hot my drone is overheating!
    When I asked, I wondered if the heat impacted drones. Thanks...look forward to seeing them.

In the first photo, note how the ramp from 63rd southbound to I-235 merges onto the highway... There is just a matter of feet and there is almost no way to see behind you and to the left to see cars coming up fast. It is insanely unsafe.

^^^^

Yes it is, especially in a low sedan. Earlier this week I took it and was in line between five or six cars completely stopped. When it was my turn, I just hit the gas and prayed.

I seriously will not go that way again. Only after I merged did I realize how incredibly dangerous that is.

I can't believe they set it up that way, even as a temporary measure.

Making a lot of progress but so much more to go. Lots of pillars going in.

Yes, in mornings that lane is stopped. Its a compact area but in my view they should have shut that lane off or at least in rush hour. It slows down both lanes of 235 as well because everyone is afraid of a wreck and ripple effect. Traffic flows pretty well overall except that spot messes it up. Due to how long it takes cars to get thru (the on ramp) it would be better time wise for them to go north a mile and over to 235 and get on there.

Still have 1.5 years left but on homestretch. Once done it will highlight another problem I’ve been saying. With no bottleneck at 44 (throttle) all traffic will get to turnpike faster yet the one long flyover ramp can’t handle the flow plus you end up rounding the curve ti TP with sun in eyes. So traffic is going to back up on 235 for a few miles. This in turn creates other hazards with oncoming traffic blending into stopped traffic and a complete mess.

TP and OKC needed to ID this long ago but won’t until its way too late. To get onto TP west you have to exit right which has on ramps and other off ramps backed up. Somehow need it to be left exit from 235 to west TP. But would require pillars and redoing lanes on TP to put you out in left lanes. But the toll plaza is so close then cars can’t get over to right. I say get rid of plazas and go all scanner. Then it would work

Given multiple other on ramps a mile from that on ramp, it almost seems like it would have been better to just close that ramp for a while and be able to build something non temporary there sooner

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Given multiple other on ramps a mile from that on ramp, it almost seems like it would have been better to just close that ramp for a while and be able to build something non temporary there sooner
    Right, and the plans call for NB 63rd ramp to close for up to 1 month so it's not like the end of the world. Hopefully, they will build that section of 235 here soon and merge further south with more merge space

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Making a lot of progress but so much more to go. Lots of pillars going in.

Yes, in mornings that lane is stopped. Its a compact area but in my view they should have shut that lane off or at least in rush hour. It slows down both lanes of 235 as well because everyone is afraid of a wreck and ripple effect. Traffic flows pretty well overall except that spot messes it up. Due to how long it takes cars to get thru (the on ramp) it would be better time wise for them to go north a mile and over to 235 and get on there.

Still have 1.5 years left but on homestretch. Once done it will highlight another problem I’ve been saying. With no bottleneck at 44 (throttle) all traffic will get to turnpike faster yet the one long flyover ramp can’t handle the flow plus you end up rounding the curve ti TP with sun in eyes. So traffic is going to back up on 235 for a few miles. This in turn creates other hazards with oncoming traffic blending into stopped traffic and a complete mess.

TP and OKC needed to ID this long ago but won’t until its way too late. To get onto TP west you have to exit right which has on ramps and other off ramps backed up. Somehow need it to be left exit from 235 to west TP. But would require pillars and redoing lanes on TP to put you out in left lanes. But the toll plaza is so close then cars can’t get over to right. I say get rid of plazas and go all scanner. Then it would work
    Plus 122nd on ramp. I don’t understand why they don’t just close exits that are too close to an interchange. Like 63rd on ramp, like sorry but you’re way to close to an interchange.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Plus 122nd on ramp. I don’t understand why they don’t just close exits that are too close to an interchange. Like 63rd on ramp, like sorry but you’re way to close to an interchange.
    This! That on ramp is way too close and causes ridiculous issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I seriously will not go that way again. Only after I merged did I realize how incredibly dangerous that is.

I can't believe they set it up that way, even as a temporary measure.
    The cloverleaf from NB 235 to WB 44 is horrible right now as well. Major visibility restrictions. Took it a week ago and will probably not be taking it again anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    The final 63rd ramp to SB 235 design wont be bad. It will share the dedicated lanes that the two clovers share.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The final 63rd ramp to SB 235 design wont be bad. It will share the dedicated lanes that the two clovers share.
    Those are called collector/distribution (c/d) lanes. It's a way to get ramps up to speed without interfering with the main lanes. I35 has them at the I240 interchange

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Those are called collector/distribution (c/d) lanes. It's a way to get ramps up to speed without interfering with the main lanes. I35 has them at the I240 interchange

Thanks for the info. Didnt know what the proper terminology was.

Thread Information