Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    Lots of tree clearing already happening.
    Man this is going to be a mess.. I already can't wait for it to be done!
    If they had the money to do it in bigger stages it seems like it might just be better to widen everything that is still 2 lane south of the bridge first; then close the ramps, make the bridge over i44 3 dedicated lanes and just do all the other work reconnecting the two.

2. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    While I certainly have to defer to those of you who have or claim to have expertise about how major interstate intersections might best be constructed, and about which I have no knowledge, I'll simply say that major highway construction is something akin to an art form from my own child-like eyes and I've always enjoyed seeing it and driving it.

The major problem I'd have from this would be gawking and being inattentive to driving as I drove through the elements of this to-me gorgeous structure.
    i lived in dallas and drove through the high five project as it was being constructed. i had more than a couple close calls due to rubbernecking.

I noticed that last week ODOT had the State Troopers post a cruiser with lights flashing at the merge. This was very helpful. This week there was no cruiser and it has now become very dangerous. Lunatics are still flying down I-44 doing 70mph in the right lane of a construction zone. The merge distance for the drivers coming off of 235 is approximately 100yds. I would plead with the public to avoid this area. This is a perfect recipe for a deadly accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I noticed that last week ODOT had the State Troopers post a cruiser with lights flashing at the merge. This was very helpful. This week there was no cruiser and it has now become very dangerous. Lunatics are still flying down I-44 doing 70mph in the right lane of a construction zone. The merge distance for the drivers coming off of 235 is approximately 100yds. I would plead with the public to avoid this area. This is a perfect recipe for a deadly accident.
    Police?!?!?!?!

5. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Yeah the way they set up the Boradway Extension traffic merging onto 44 west is STUPID!!!!!! They had converted the outside lane to a merging traffic lane only for a reason, and now it's not and all you have is a concrete wall in front of you and no warning that you merge....there is a "limited merging area" sign, but no actual avatar of merging. I took the donut the other day and just about got ran into twice in 30 seconds from all sides.

They need to find a way to re-stripe the area for sure. If it means that each part gets 1 lane and 44 is reduced, then sobeit. Otherwise you're going to see a lot of wrecks and the situation will be even worse.

It's a big fail on ODOT's part for setting the construction zone up. Much like how when they repaved 35, they put the inside lane as an exit only lane to 44 west, and then magically made the outside lane appear out of no where instead of the intelligent way they used to where the exit lane apppeard out of no where and regular flowing traffic wasn't affected by exiting people and flow traffic didn't have to squeeze into 1 lane. Sounds similar to 235 between I-40 and 10th.....i see a pattern of bad striping here.

Can confirm that this is one scary intersection now. I take 50th, or 36th street to get to work at 50 Penn and avoid this mess entirely.

Yes.... A couple weeks ago, I was on 235, heading 44 westbound. Wasnt really aware how short of a merging distance I had and almost slammed straight into the concrete barrier things. But it was a Saturday morning with light traffic, so i was able to get to the lane. Ever since then, i've avoided using that interchange

I-235 / I-44 interchange is fully funded in the proposed eight year plan, 2017-2019.

I-40 and mostly boulevard, 2012-2015

I-240 / I-35, 2018.
    http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsm...n_approved.pdf

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/cwp-8..._metro-map.pdf

It appears that they are working on drainage issues in this area. I know the south side of I-44 is in a flood plain due to that creek, but they are also moving a LOT of dirt.

From the renderings it looks like they are going to keep it all a lot of the same but with flyovers.
    I was hoping they would get rid of the clover style merges and straighten out some of the double dog leg from 50th to 63rd.

Yep Nick, only two flyovers (south to west & east to north). I've probably said this before but after the interchange is complete, the most interesting aspect of the Broadway Extension project will be where BNSF trains will go (obviously a temp flyover but WHERE?) when they are widening out that part between the interchange and north of NW 36th St.

Are there any pictures of what it should look like?

12. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I've been wondering how exactlly they are going to do this. I just sort of assumed they would build a temporary bridge next to the current and rebuild on that site (for the sake of not aquiring even more land for it). But perhaps that isn't the case. You can't build much in the way of a temporary bridge, and especially not for trains. With that amount of weight going over my head, I want that thing to be very well constructed...like the 23rd st. one.

If the railroad companies would play nice, the cheapest way and with the shortest construction time would be to route trains through Enid & El Reno until the new bridge is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    If the railroad companies would play nice, the cheapest way and with the shortest construction time would be to route trains through Enid & El Reno until the new bridge is complete.
    If this were a fairytale world I would expect that. Railroad companies, especially BNSF and Union Pacific although BNSF is about 1,000x's easier to work with than UP, can be some of the most stubborn S.O.B's on earth. They only care about themselves and their schedule, which is expectable out of any large(HUGE) corporation so that's not a bash that's just the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    If this were a fairytale world I would expect that. Railroad companies, especially BNSF and Union Pacific although BNSF is about 1,000x's easier to work with than UP, can be some of the most stubborn S.O.B's on earth. They only care about themselves and their schedule, which is expectable out of any large(HUGE) corporation so that's not a bash that's just the truth.
    I had no expectation that would actually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I had no expectation that would actually happen.
    I know; no one with a little common sense would expect it.

I'm sure they will have to shoefly it like they did over the new I-40, build a temp first then replace the old bridge with a new one.

Bellaboo, there's no room in the area for a shoe fly. That's what I was talking about in my previous post (6 above your post).

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Bellaboo, there's no room in the area for a shoe fly. That's what I was talking about in my previous post (6 above your post).
    I'm not sure how much room they have, but if they replace the RR bridge there around 50th over I-235, it seems to me there is too much train traffic to re-route, that's kind of why I believe they would do some kind of parallel shoe fly like they did next to Shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I'm not sure how much room they have, but if they replace the RR bridge there around 50th over I-235, it seems to me there is too much train traffic to re-route, that's kind of why I believe they would do some kind of parallel shoe fly like they did next to Shields.
    I clearly understood what you were saying the first time around. I think you're missing my point. Unlike the new I-40/Shields area, there is not a ton of room at the NW 50th St./I-235 area. There's no wide open areas on either side of BNSF's right of way for them to put a shofly.

Quote Originally Posted by okcray View Post
    Are there any pictures of what it should look like?
    looking South

22. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I didnt realize they were getting rid of the 50th st on/off ramps. unless they got pushed farther south

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I didnt realize they were getting rid of the 50th st on/off ramps. unless they got pushed farther south
    I missed something, why do you think they are getting rid of the 50th street on/off ramps?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I clearly understood what you were saying the first time around. I think you're missing my point. Unlike the new I-40/Shields area, there is not a ton of room at the NW 50th St./I-235 area. There's no wide open areas on either side of BNSF's right of way for them to put a shofly.
    I'm not trying to be confrontational, but you are saying they don't have at least a 30 foot or so easment next to the current track ?

I know on this map they have a flyover bridge for Santa Fe. Ave, but is this still on the plans?
    That sure would be nice for traffic flow.

I also noticed that they tore down the "star" style building/housing next to the Paradigm Building in the lower right part off this pic.

Thread Information