Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 123456752 ... LastLast

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

What about that Santa Fe Bridge? I thought they were supposed to do it before this other stuff - it is present in that picture but can't tell they've done much on it (besides move some utilities maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Funding is one problem, but funding methods are another. ODOT is forced to be a pay as you go agency because the state is barred constitutionally from borrowing money to fund road construction.
    This isn't a problem with the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority - when they identify a need and have the funds, the pull the trigger and get the job done all at once, not piecemeal like this.

3. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    This isn't a problem with the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority - when they identify a need and have the funds, the pull the trigger and get the job done all at once, not piecemeal like this.
    Right, but the sole function of OTA is to finance construction and maintenance via bonds. They were created for that purpose. They have a revenue source independent from the state which are the tolls collected. Thus, they are exempt from the requirements attached to tax collections. No toll revenue is used to maintain state and federal roads.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

I know this has already been said, but it would've been nice if they could've somehow replaced the cloverleaves on the west side with fly over ramps. I don't think the space is there though due to the Paragon Building being in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    While I certainly have to defer to those of you who have or claim to have expertise about how major interstate intersections might best be constructed, and about which I have no knowledge, I'll simply say that major highway construction is something akin to an art form from my own child-like eyes and I've always enjoyed seeing it and driving it.

From that perspective, the ODOT graphic of the I-235/I-44 exhcange looks pretty darned cool.
    Completely agree Doug - I've been in awe a time or two coming across the huge flyover intersections in Texas - pretty impressive.

6. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I know this has already been said, but it would've been nice if they could've somehow replaced the cloverleaves on the west side with fly over ramps. I don't think the space is there though due to the Paragon Building being in the way.
    I agree. At least one piece of good news in the clover leaf ramps is they will be 50% larger in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Right, but the sole function of OTA is to finance construction and maintenance via bonds. They were created for that purpose. They have a revenue source independent from the state which are the tolls collected. Thus, they are exempt from the requirements attached to tax collections. No toll revenue is used to maintain state and federal roads.
    So none of the money collected on the Turner Turnpike is used to maintain the same? Have wondered and asked this before, but how in the blazes did we manage to put a turnpike (toll road) on a federal funded, taxpayer paid interstate highway? (Turner Turnpike/I-44)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    how in the blazes did we manage to put a turnpike (toll road) on a federal funded, taxpayer paid interstate highway? (Turner Turnpike/I-44)
    The same way all the other states have? Ever been into Kansas on I-35?

9. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

So none of the money collected on the Turner Turnpike is used to maintain the same? Have wondered and asked this before, but how in the blazes did we manage to put a turnpike (toll road) on a federal funded, taxpayer paid interstate highway? (Turner Turnpike/I-44)
    Turner Turnpike was completed in 1953 before the U.S. began nationwide construction of the interstate highway system. It was signed as Interstate 44 in 1958 but still possesses the Turner Turnpike name. The H.E. Bailey Turnpike opened in 1964 but wasn't signed as I-44 from OKC to Lawton until 1982. Will Rogers Turnpike was opened in 1957 but wasn't signed as I-44 until 1958. Thus, they are only signed as an Interstate highway. They were not federally funded nor taxpayer paid, but built with bonds that were repaid with toll revenue.

The turnpike authority doesn't receive federal funds to maintain the interstate. It is a federal insterstate in name only. Upkeep is funded through the turnpike authority.

Originally when it was payed of it was supposed to be a free road, however they were later able to amend that to use the tolls for building other turnpikes, upgrade existing facilities and maintaining the entire system, regardless of where collection was from.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Originally when it was payed of it was supposed to be a free road, however they were later able to amend that to use the tolls for building other turnpikes, upgrade existing facilities and maintaining the entire system, regardless of where collection was from.
    they changed it by a public vote

Okay, so lets get back to the subject of an interchange that has absolutely nothing to do with turnpikes and is nowhere near a turnpike--at least 5 miles or more away.

yea, it is like they have not learned anything from the past failure on that location, get rid of the clover leaves now. If they would have given up on the complexity added by having exits and entrances from 63 it would be in the budget.

Are they going to do anything about that area under the railroad tracks that floods so badly?

Regarding flooding, probably not. This will only be to make the interchange able to handle higher amounts of traffic and not create a bottleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    Are they going to do anything about that area under the railroad tracks that floods so badly?
    They are planing to eventually widen i235 from 36th to the interchange if that is the part under the railroad you are talking about but no idea of time on that. Since they will have to replace (at least part of) the bridges for the santa fe exit, 50th and the rail road due to them all being to narrow to do that it will be surprising if it does actually happens in the 8 year plan time frame since it looks like they want to do the interchange first.

They are planing to eventually widen i235 from 36th to the interchange if that is the part under the railroad you are talking about but no idea of time on that. Since they will have to replace (at least part of) the bridges for the santa fe exit, 50th and the rail road due to them all being to narrow to do that it will be surprising if it does actually happens in the 8 year plan time frame since it looks like they want to do the interchange first.
    the plan is to do do the southboud 235 to west 44 ramp this year then do the 36st to the interchange bridges and road starting in 2017 then start the rest of the interchange in 2018 .... not on this list is the North 235 to east 44 ramp that i guess will come in 2019 outside of the 8 year plan

GRADE,DRAINING,BRIDGE & SURFACE
    I-235: SOUTHBOUND TO WESTBOUND OFF RAMPS AT THE I-235/I-44
    09033(40) FFY 2011 INTERCHANGE (PHASE 2A) REMAINING DIV 4 CIP FUND MATCH
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS235 0.050 Mi. Let 01/2011 $24,771,508

UTILITIES
    I-235: NW 50TH AND BNSF BRIDGES AND APPROACHES (SEGMENT 4A) UT FOR
    09033(12) FFY 2012 09033(16)
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS235 0.200 Mi. Let 11/2011 $257,500

I-235: NW 50TH AND BNSF BRIDGES AND APPROACHES (SEGMENT 4A)(100%
    09033(16) FFY 2017 IM)
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS235 0.200 Mi. $7,760,267

I-235: MAINLINE FROM NW 36TH STREET INTERCHANGE TO NORTH OF NW 50TH
    09033(25) FFY 2017 (SEGMENT 7) (S-48)(H-88,89)
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS235 0.500 Mi. $15,450,000

I-235: NBOUND TO WBOUND FLYOVER BRIDGE I-235/I-44 INTERCHANGE
    09033(11) FFY 2018 (SEGMENT 2B)
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS235 0.500 Mi. $17,000,000

I-44: EAST BOUND TO SOUTH BOUND RAMPS AT I-235/I-44 INTERCHANGE.
    09033(13) FFY 2018 (PHASE 3B)
    OKLAHOMA Div. 4 IS044 0.100 Mi. $7,229,493

yea, it is like they have not learned anything from the past failure on that location, get rid of the clover leaves now. If they would have given up on the complexity added by having exits and entrances from 63 it would be in the budget.
    I think the main problem is they're limited on space on the west side, with the creek in the way, and the Paragon building.

20. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

I don't know if it means anything, but Ive seen some construction signs starting to be placed around the interchange. even saw one that uses digital messages

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I don't know if it means anything, but Ive seen some construction signs starting to be placed around the interchange. even saw one that uses digital messages
    Guess it's time to turn over the decade long hourglass and play the ODOT waiting game.

22. Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

digital signs all around the interchange that construction to start June 20th

Yeah, I saw some going westbound on 44 right before the Lincoln bridge. I was wondering it they were for that south to west ramp. That's the only thing they're going to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think the main problem is they're limited on space on the west side, with the creek in the way, and the Paragon building.
    They said the reason it is still has clover leafs is money, they would have preferred fly overs all four ways.

Lots of tree clearing already happening.
    Man this is going to be a mess.. I already can't wait for it to be done!

Thread Information