Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 93 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Default Re: I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    The graphic accompanying in this morning's DO story shows that work won't be finished on this exchange until 2019. That will be a decade of disruption for this interchange. Is this SOP for DOT?
    Yes, but its not continuous work and disruption. They will finish this ramp project and it will be two years before they start the next one which is the the reconstruction of the NW 50th St bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yes, but its not continuous work and disruption. They will finish this ramp project and it will be two years before they start the next one which is the the reconstruction of the NW 50th St bridge.
    ...and widening out between I-44 and 36th St. to 6 lanes across with a new railroad bridge. I'd be staying away from that hell hole when that project is let and construction begins. Talk about a nightmare!

The graphic accompanying in this morning's DO story shows that work won't be finished on this exchange until 2019. That will be a decade of disruption for this interchange. Is this SOP for DOT?
    Pretty much, which gives the larger project as a whole to widen/upgrade i235/Broadway Extension from aproximatly OKC's 36th to Edmond's 33rd a disruption of something like 30 years

The first phase was do to start in 2017. And they are starting phase 2 on Monday. As it finishes the following phases should move up as well

Here are all the specifics of phase 2.
    http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contr...ULL%20FILE.pdf

So this phase of construction is only for the SW corner of the intersection (eastbound I-44 to southbound 235)?
    It looks like they are moving a tremendous amount of work on the NE corner too.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    So this phase of construction is only for the SW corner of the intersection (eastbound I-44 to southbound 235)?
    It looks like they are moving a tremendous amount of work on the NE corner too.
    I'm speculating, but it looks to me like temporary road work to prepare to shift traffic to the east by a lane or two to accommodate the construction for that southwest quadrant.

They are working on 3 ramps right now:

NE Corner
    Westbound I-44 ramp to northbound I-235
    The northbound I-235 ramp to westbound I-44

SW Corner
    Eastbound I-44 ramps to north and southbound I-235 close nightly from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. through Saturday morning, July 27, for installation of temporary barrier walls.
    The right lane of eastbound I-44 will be closed between Western Ave. and I-235 throughout the project
    (this part also includes removal of the SantaFe bridge.)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I made a visual cause sometimes it can get confusing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    They are working on 3 ramps right now:

NE Corner
    Westbound I-44 ramp to northbound I-235
    The northbound I-235 ramp to westbound I-44

SW Corner
    Eastbound I-44 ramps to north and southbound I-235 close nightly from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. through Saturday morning, July 27, for installation of temporary barrier walls.
    The right lane of eastbound I-44 will be closed between Western Ave. and I-235 throughout the project
    (this part also includes removal of the SantaFe bridge.)
    Since it was on Page 12, here's a visual I made.

Thanks for the info... my speculation was spot off.

HangryHippo Guest

Are they actually redoing the WB I-44 to NB I-235 ramp like what they already completed on the other side? I thought that was another phase...

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Are they actually redoing the WB I-44 to NB I-235 ramp like what they already completed on the other side? I thought that was another phase...
    Its just temporary relief until the final phase on that section starts. Making the ramp longer in that area to make things flow a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Since it was on Page 12, here's a visual I made.

No idea how I missed this graphic. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Its just temporary relief until the final phase on that section starts. Making the ramp longer in that area to make things flow a little better.
    From what I understand, that segment is to also be two lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    No idea how I missed this graphic. Good job!
    I've gotten a lot better at playing around with Google Earth :-)

Good progress on the north side of this project, and the clearing to the SW for the ramp over the creek - especially considering they are working mainly nights and around rush hours.

I'm surprised they didn't add an extra lane all the way to 63rd st, but I guess that would involve having to build the retaining wall right now.

The relief lane added to north end of the northbound I235 is a huge help during rush hour.

Southbound is still a nightmare, but they are making good progress on getting the ramp going from EB I44 to SB I235.

Bases for the concrete columns that will support the ramp from EB 44 to SB 235 and 63rd st look to be coming up quick. Saw a ton of reebar.

So I just saw this on their website
    ''5 I-44/I-235/Broadway Extension Oklahoma Co. Interchange reconstruction on the eastbound I-44 ramp to southbound I-235. Winter ’13. Sherwood Const. $8 million. Southbound I-235 ramp to NW 50th closed, night lane closures''

Does that mean they are anticipating a 2013 Winter completion date on this?

ps I also sent them an email asking about whether or not they might build flyovers on the western side. I know this has been discussed here, I just wanted to see what they are going to say. I'll post the email when/if I get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    So I just saw this on their website
    ''5 I-44/I-235/Broadway Extension Oklahoma Co. Interchange reconstruction on the eastbound I-44 ramp to southbound I-235. Winter ’13. Sherwood Const. $8 million. Southbound I-235 ramp to NW 50th closed, night lane closures''

Does that mean they are anticipating a 2013 Winter completion date on this?
    According to the ODOT website, Sherwood Construction "bid" 180 days for the project. This would put them at a late
    January completion date, earlier for bonus, later for penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post

I just noticed while looking at this that the cloverleaf portion will be completely different than the 235 through traffic. Obviously this will make the going WB on I-44 to SB 235 or SB 235 to EB 44 a little bit slower, but the pace of 235 will be a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I just noticed while looking at this that the cloverleaf portion will be completely different than the 235 through traffic. Obviously this will make the going WB on I-44 to SB 235 or SB 235 to EB 44 a little bit slower, but the pace of 235 will be a little better.
    yep it is a very reasonable solution

This is kind of a weird article, but here it is.

''Foxx likes Oklahoma's vision for roads
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

OKLA. CITY — U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx came to Oklahoma City Friday to meet with officials from the Oklahoma Department of Transportation about progress being made at a new interchange being built at I-44/I-235, west of the Broadway Extension. Gov. Mary Fallin joined Foxx along with U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe at the site.

“It is the beginning of the elimination of a functionally obsolete interchange,” said ODOT Director Mike Patterson.

The current project is the second of seven at the Interstate 44/Interstate 235 Broadway Extension interchange and is estimated at $9 million. Construction began in July and is expected to complete in the spring of next year, according to ODOT''

- See more at: Foxx likes Oklahoma's vision for roads » Local News » The Edmond Sun

From ODOT:

I-235 closes at N.W. 50th St. for ramp/bridge removal this weekend, drivers urged to locate alternate route North and southbound I-235 will be completely closed south of I-44, near N.W. 50th St. beginning 9 p.m. Saturday through 5 a.m. Monday for removal of the old southbound I-235 ramp to N.W. 50th St. over I-235. Northbound I-235 traffic will be detoured at N.W. 36th St. and southbound I-235 traffic will be detoured onto I-44.

I guess this is OKC's Carmaggedon (Carnado?) I would avoid Western this weekend as well.

Glad to see they are making such quick progress of this.

Thread Information