Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Edge @ Midtown

Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

None of it is owned by OCURA and as long as the owners keep their property taxes up to date there is nothing OCURA can do about it.
    Not true.

For example since this thread is about the old Mercy Hospital site, OCURA obtained the property because it was vacant and key to the redevelopment of this area. They first did their best to acquire from the existing owners. When that failed they declared it a blight and had it condemned. Then there is a process for determining fair market value to the owners before paying them for it.

This is how urban renewal works and should work in this area. There are dozens of other properties similar to this Mercy site and OCURA should start targeting them one by one.

After a while the area will reach a point where current owners will want to sell and/or develop. This is exactly how the Deep Deuce area got kicked off and look at it now... Almost all the properties in that area are developed or have proposed projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I hate to say this, but all that green along 10th is why I thought 10th would be a better choice for the streetcar line than an 11th/13th couplet.
    And it is also a reason I like Hudson for the route.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

also remember that between 10th and 9th west of hudson classen will angle down and cut through the middle of that property
    Forgot about that, remind me what the purpose of that is again?

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    And it is also a reason I like Hudson for the route.
    hudson deadends at the devon building .. so it is not an option

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Forgot about that, remind me what the purpose of that is again?
    good question ?.. i have no idea but it will be a cool street ... it will go all the way to robinson ..

Marva Ellard is class act all of the way! She has more than proven herself with her vision and commitment for midtown and Oklahoma City. (I shudder to recall how others were lobbying to have the Sieber torn down.) I would stand by and with this woman any day. I think her proposal far outshines the others.

The extension of Classen Drive was proposed several years ago and supposedly financed by a general obligation bond. Have no idea about the current status.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Not true.

For example since this thread is about the old Mercy Hospital site, OCURA obtained the property because it was vacant and key to the redevelopment of this area. They first did their best to acquire from the existing owners. When that failed they declared it a blight and had it condemned. Then there is a process for determining fair market value to the owners before paying them for it.

This is how urban renewal works and should work in this area. There are dozens of other properties similar to this Mercy site and OCURA should start targeting them one by one.

After a while the area will reach a point where current owners will want to sell and/or develop. This is exactly how the Deep Deuce area got kicked off and look at it now... Almost all the properties in that area are developed or have proposed projects.
    Well, I meant except for the Mercy site (which btw you did not have shaded green which is why I wasn't addressing it). Most of the vacant lots are just that, vacant. The only way OCURA can acquire this land is if the owners don't pay their taxes. A while back someone looked at all the current land owned by OCURA and most of it was residential land outside of Midtown. I think most of the land in Deep Duece was land owned by OCURA who then sold it to developers. I don't remember any Mercy-style development contest in Deep Duece, but maybe there was.

8. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I wish we could shake OCURA, but that's not happening. I agree, this is a beautiful and important piece of property. It's the first real multi-family housing that's been constructed in Midtown for a long time and it's presence will be an important part of the Midtown Renaissance. When you have 5 bidders, you have a key piece of property and it's a seller's market. I just hope OCURA doesn't sell the site short. Marva would probably already have her building up if they'd given it to her last time.
    I agree with that! I like her proposal. As Pete pointed out, the underground parking is an attractive feature.

As for OCURA...you know, if Mick can boot someone off the Board of Adjustment without comment (like he did with David Wanzer); why don't we begin asking Mick why he doesn't shake-up a worn out OCURA? Every single member sits at the pleasure of the Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The extension of Classen Drive was proposed several years ago and supposedly financed by a general obligation bond. Have no idea about the current status.

This extension has been canceled because the land cost (primarily the dry cleaner location) shot thru the roof. It would have been nice.

Kerry, the law says that you don't have to condemn every parcel as blight... That can be done for an entire area.

And that's exactly what was done around the Mercy site. At the time OCURA went through this process they included a wide area surrounding there and St. Anthony. All a part of a massive plan to develop 10th street as a medical corridor connection St. Anthony and the Health Sciences Center.

And there were several OCURA projects put out for proposals in Deep Deuce: Deep Deuce apartments, The Brownstones and surrounding property and The Hill. Not sure about some of the others that came later. And they acquired all these properties just in the manner I'm describing.

They did the same for what was to be the Galleria (now where Devon is building along with the library, OK Tower, etc.) Many, many other examples -- both good and bad but all along the lines.

Assembling properties and getting them into the hands of people that want to develop /re-develop is their entire reason for existence.

Quote Originally Posted by city View Post
    This extension has been canceled because the land cost (primarily the dry cleaner location) shot thru the roof. It would have been nice.
    I rest my case. This is the exact same reason why we have demand, willing developers, and vacant lots.

This is exciting to know that there are 5 developers that are ready to jump into Midtown re-development.

Hopefully OCURA will work on brokering land acquisition deals to enable more than one developer to build their project or a similar project that could work elsewhere in Midtown.

what are they going to use the bond money for .. and is the extention canx all the way to robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I hate to say this, but all that green along 10th is why I thought 10th would be a better choice for the streetcar line than an 11th/13th couplet.
    Considering that the streetcar turns on Dewey, there's as much green on 11th as 10th....more really, if you consider parcel size.

The problem with Hudson is that Broadway is more important than Hudson, and you can't see stops on Hudson from Broadway, nor can you even easily get through in some places.

I will stop mentioning Hudson as my preference over Robinson. I understand the one block couplet idea and agree that Broadway is the most important for the route so it makes Robinson the 2nd most important.

When will the next OCURA meeting be to further decide on a project? sometime in 2012 or later?

From Steve's article:

Bullard said the proposals will be reviewed by a panel consisting of Assistant City Manager Cathy O'Connor, Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. President Jane Jenkins, University of Oklahoma architecture professor Bob Goines, Oklahoma City Planning Director Russell Claus, Greater Oklahoma City Chamber economic development Vice President Robin Roberts-Kreiger, former Urban Renewal executive Dave Jones, St. Anthony Hospital President Joe Hodges, and Heritage Hills Association President Steve Jacobi.
    That panel, he said, will advise the Urban Renewal board as to whether they might want to hear all five proposals or just the top three. Those proposals will likely be heard in May.

Read more: http://newsok.com/5-groups-compete-t...#ixzz1GEgyCqQN

And I give OCURA credit, they have assembled a good panel to help evaluate. Let's hope they listen to them.

^^ May of what year? 2012, 2013, 2014 ...j/k

That is a quality panel assembled for the initial review.

My daughter attended Villa Teresa for pre-K and Kindergarten. That area has sooo much potential to be really charming. I'd set aside some land for a small inner city park. Tenants need a place to walk their dogs and chat with the neighbors.

I like the bigger Cornerstone project a lot. Dislike the smaller Cornerstone project tremendously. Wiggin's looks alright, Home Creations is interesting... I wonder if they might be interested in some other blocks? That would be very appropriate for some of the blocks further west in Mid-town.

Then..

A) Why won't they use eminent domain?
    B) What will they spend the money on instead?

I like the bigger Cornerstone project a lot
    That's Mike Henderson who presented something very similar in winning the site for the Legacy, then built what is there today after years of delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I like the bigger Cornerstone project a lot. Dislike the smaller Cornerstone project tremendously. Wiggin's looks alright, Home Creations is interesting... I wonder if they might be interested in some other blocks? That would be very appropriate for some of the blocks further west in Mid-town
    What do you think of Marva Ellard's proposal Spartan? It includes underground parking...

Marva Ellard's original proposal for the site included a hotel; Anyone have ideas as to what would be a good location in Midtown for a small, independent hotel?

23. Default Re: Mercy Hospital Site

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I like the bigger Cornerstone project a lot. Dislike the smaller Cornerstone project tremendously. Wiggin's looks alright, Home Creations is interesting... I wonder if they might be interested in some other blocks? That would be very appropriate for some of the blocks further west in Mid-town.
    Did Marva Ellard put a jihad on your family?

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    Marva Ellard's original proposal for the site included a hotel; Anyone have ideas as to what would be a good location in Midtown for a small, independent hotel?
    Osler?

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    If you are looking to build then the vacant lots on 6th between Hudson and Walker would be a good location. It is across the street from the Federal Building and just one block from the OKC National Memorial. It would also be the nearest hotel to St. Anthony's. Those three entities alone should keep a small hotel full. Just make sure you can make ends meet on US government room rates.

Thread Information