Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sneak Previews

1. Default Sneak Previews

We had free passes to the Harkin Theater last night to see True Grit. We were excited to see the movie, got there over an hour early, and guess what, it was already full and we didn't get in to see the show. They said people showed up at 2:00pm to stand in line to get in to the movie.I can't imagine going to a movie that early. We thought going an hour early would be early enough. We went to see Love and Other Drugs instead,and it was really good too. When they tell you to get there early, guess they know what they are talking about.

Default Re: Sneak Previews

What happens in these situations, if you didn't know already or if someone else is curious, is that the marketing agency (who actually runs the screening; the theatre only "hosts" it by giving the studio the auditorium) gives out more tickets than the theatre actually has seats for. The studio wants to ensure that they have as many as people in these screenings as possible both for word of mouth, but also for feedback and demographic purposes.

Unfortunately you can never tell exactly how the seating will turn out. Sometimes an hour is early enough, sometimes a theatre won't even be filled, but sometimes you have to wait all afternoon.

Sorry you missed out if you wanted to be there. As for me, not even if I had free passes, free munchies and and not even if there was late arrival reserved seating.

Some movies just should not be remade. True Grit is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Sorry you missed out if you wanted to be there. As for me, not even if I had free passes, free munchies and and not even if there was late arrival reserved seating.

But, but... it's Joel & Ethan Coen! The only filmmakers that matter in the 21st century!

I've got to admit though, I doubt even the Dude himself will be a match for the Duke when he says, "Fill yore hand you sonofabitch!"

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I've got to admit though, I doubt even the Dude himself will be a match for the Duke when he says, "Fill yore hand you sonofabitch!"
    LOL One of my favorite exchanges in the history of movies! To this day, when my friends say that they're going to do something, I often say, "I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." As much as I liked the original, it was still a Pollyanna version of the book. The Duke's version of Rooster Cogburn was still loveable, whereas the written version of the character wasn't. Alcoholics rarely are. He was simply the only thing a 14 yr. old girl could afford. While there may be some movies that shouldn't be remade, I don't think this is going to be one of them.

I know two people who have seen True Grit. Both gave it glowing reviews. One of these folks is a local actor (was recently in August, Osage County), and is a film producer and editor himself, so he knows of what he speaks. He said the Cohen brothers dropped their self-reverential sense of inside joke-making and stuck to a really tight, well-written script that was based off of the original source material and NOT the John Wayne film. He said this one was BETTER than the original, and that the acting was superb all around. The little girl really shoulders the film and does so brilliantly. It's gritty, ugly, tough and you can just smell the characters off the screen. Said in some ways it reminded him in terms of tone and atmosphere of the HBO series "Deadwood," which to me, was one of the most brilliantly-written TV shows out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I know two people who have seen True Grit. Both gave it glowing reviews. One of these folks is a local actor (was recently in August, Osage County)
    I saw this when it came to Dallas and loved it! Was he in that version of the play? What was his role?

I saw this when it came to Dallas and loved it! Was he in that version of the play? What was his role?
    He was in the version that played here in OKC in October. It was produced locally by CityRep theatre. He played pretty much the least dysfunctional of the bunch - the matriarch's brother-in-law, and "father" of the boy who was a real loser.

He was in the version that played here in OKC in October. It was produced locally by CityRep theatre. He played pretty much the least dysfunctional of the bunch - the matriarch's brother-in-law, and "father" of the boy who was a real loser.
    Good, I was hoping he didn't play the creepy fiance.

Good, I was hoping he didn't play the creepy fiance.
    Ahhh... you are talking about another local actor, Jonathan Beck Reed, who is one of the founding parnters of CityRep theatre, the group that put August, Osage County, on here in OKC. In fact, this is the only Oklahoma production of the show. They got special permission from Terrry Letts, the playwright, as well as the publishing house, to produce the play. It was a GREAT production. JBR in person is a VERY nice guy. He's been in a lot of shows locally, as well as national touring Broadway productions and shows off- and on Broadway. He and his wife also run a local dance and acting academy. He's a great Oklahoma talent, and did make an uber-creepy pedofile. Ick!

Ahhh... you are talking about another local actor, Jonathan Beck Reed, who is one of the founding parnters of CityRep theatre, the group that put August, Osage County, on here in OKC. In fact, this is the only Oklahoma production of the show. They got special permission from Terrry Letts, the playwright, as well as the publishing house, to produce the play. It was a GREAT production. JBR in person is a VERY nice guy. He's been in a lot of shows locally, as well as national touring Broadway productions and shows off- and on Broadway. He and his wife also run a local dance and acting academy. He's a great Oklahoma talent, and did make an uber-creepy pedofile. Ick!
    I don't know if I'd call him a pedophile, but certainly a lech.

12. Default Re: Sneak Previews

We didn't get to see True Grit. The theater was full before we got there. But we did see Little Fockers Thursday night. It was pretty funny and worth going to see, it was a short movie though. The cast was great, but the kids stole the picture.

Sorry you didn't get to see it. It looks like a really great movie! The family and I are going to see it Christmas Day!

14. Default Re: Sneak Previews

We are going to see The Green Hornet Tuesday night. I'm hoping I like it.

15. Default Re: Sneak Previews

Deadwood had one of my fav actors Gale Harold in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    Deadwood had one of my fav actors Gale Harold in it.
    I'm guessing you must have been a fan of "Queer as Folk" then.

17. Default Re: Sneak Previews

I have to admit that I have seen each episode of Queer as Folk several times. The show was very well done. Gale Harold was amazing as Brian Kinney, but Sharon Gless has always been a fav of mine.

18. Default Re: Sneak Previews

BTW, The Green Hornet was really good. I think you all would like it.

Gotta agree as to Gless. Never saw the QaF series, but I canna recall ever not adoring her in any role I have seen.

20. Default Re: Sneak Previews

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post

Gotta disagree on this one. I was actually apprehensive to see it since it was a remake. We finally gave in and first rented the 1969 original at Red Box, then went and saw the remake. It was fantastic and actually better than the original in several ways in our opinion. But, the original will always be a John Wayne classic.

Thread Information