Widgets Magazine

Thread: Does "Happy Holidays" Bother You?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Does "Happy Holidays" Bother You?

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    You do realize that this whole "War on Christmas" BS was invented by the right, don't you? If there is a war on any holiday, there is a war on Thanksgiving. We don't even have the decency to take one freakin' extra day to reflect before we start the Christmas rush.
    I won't dispute that there is a lot of angst from the right about the war on Christmas. And candidly, until the anti christians started getting ridiculous about it (and yes, I have had several family members sniff at using Merry Christmas) I was in favor of the Happy Holiday usage just to cover the bases. If I am going to get slammed by both sides, I'll go with Merry Christmas since that is the reason we take time off and most people celebrate. This used to be a quarrel about religious beliefs. The Christians felt the holiday was being hijacked for commercial reasons. But it has become about political correctness, so I'm done with it. Merry Christmas, all you heathens! (And Happy Hanukuh to the practicing jews and Blessed Yule to the practicing Pagans).

This "Happy Holidays" debate is brought to you by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart's new slogan: "We'll say whatever you want to hear. Just buy from us."

I another life, I used to create promos for one of the local tv stations. For us, using "Happy Holidays" was just a way to make the spots last an extra week past Christmas. There really wasn't any more thought that went into it than that. Oh...and before I forget..."Merry Christmas, Penny! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday."

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    I another life, I used to create promos for one of the local tv stations. For us, using "Happy Holidays" was just a way to make the spots last an extra week past Christmas. There really wasn't any more thought that went into it than that. Oh...and before I forget..."Merry Christmas, Penny! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday."
    Merry Christmas to you too, Tao. I hope it is one of the best. And for that matter, Happy Holidays for the days after and HAPPY NEW YEAR for 2011! 2010 was good to me but I know a number of weary people hoping next year will be better.

Just say Happy Christmas to everyone and see how they respond

I'm gonna go with Merry Holidays, lol

Thread Information