Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asian District

Asian District Sun Moon Plaza finally breaks ground in Asian District

Well I noticed about two weeks ago ground finally broke for Sun Moon Plaza in the Asian District. Several concrete form walls have already gone up. I'll try and take some pics soon. For more information read this old thread and here is a pic as well.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...updates-2.html

2. Default Re: Sun Moon Plaza finally breaks ground in Asian District

I noticed this also but took no pics as they seem to be moving at a snail's pace. Maybe it will pick up soon.

Default Re: Sun Moon Plaza finally breaks ground in Asian District

The couple days I saw them out there, they were working pretty fast and put walls up overnight. Pretty large crew from what I've seen. I guess time will tell, hopefully Laredo's construction crew is not working on this project.

This thing is garbage.

5. Default Re: Sun Moon Plaza finally breaks ground in Asian District

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    This thing is garbage.
    Why do you say that? The plan, at least, looks pretty good. But you may have other info ...

This thing is garbage.
    yeah, why do you say that, and it's way better than what was there before, and it is at least adding more to the "Asian look" of the district. I'd much rather see that than Rent-A-Center or a Taco Mayo.

It's a tilt-up strip mall with a pagoda.

8. Default Re: Sun Moon Plaza finally breaks ground in Asian District

It's a tilt-up strip mall with a pagoda.
    Sooo ... what? BTW, it looks like the Rent-A-Center is not going to be included ... at least I've not seen any signs of destruction of that facility.

Yeah, that was my observation too Doug, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Sooo ... what?
    I don't know, Doug. Just not too excited about it I guess. Maybe it will turn out better than it's shaping up.

I agree with wsu. Seems like the Asian district has had too many of these slightly dressed up concrete tilt up shopping centers built recently. None of which, up to this point, look all that Asian or have any real character to speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Sooo ... what? BTW, it looks like the Rent-A-Center is not going to be included ... at least I've not seen any signs of destruction of that facility.
    It will be part of the new buildings, but they want to stay in operation as long as possible before moving.

13. Default Re: Sun Moon Plaza finally breaks ground in Asian District

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    It will be part of the new buildings, but they want to stay in operation as long as possible before moving.
    Good. Please tell what else you know?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I agree with wsu. Seems like the Asian district has had too many of these slightly dressed up concrete tilt up shopping centers built recently. None of which, up to this point, look all that Asian or have any real character to speak of.
    They at least have Asian elements... look a modern Asia... they aren't build recreations of Himeji Castle or the Forbidden City... we can't expect the same.

All I would ask is that they build up to the sidewalk so you can go to multiple stores and restaurants. Some have, most haven't...not sure about this one.

Seems to be coming along now. I am afraid it is probably going to look like a very cheap strip mall. They modified the design quite a bit from what I can tell and they attached the Asian Pagoda thingy to the SE corner of the building instead of having it free standing in the middle of the shopping center.

Steve, do you have any inside scoop on this one yet?

There was poster/sign in front of what I thought was going to be Sun Moon Plaza along 23rd and Western with two views of the photo above... then the same sign was moved to the strip mall being built at Classen and 26th. Now that sign is missing from Classen and 26th (Maybe because it's open now?) So I wonder if there will be two similar projects?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Well I wouldn't say that, I mean, SURELY there's crappy strip mall architecture in Asia as well..what about Haikou, China..that would be where I would go first to find crappy strip mall architecture in Asia because that is OKC's sister city in Asia. And yes, I just looked that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well I wouldn't say that, I mean, SURELY there's crappy strip mall architecture in Asia as well..what about Haikou, China..that would be where I would go first to find crappy strip mall architecture in Asia because that is OKC's sister city in Asia. And yes, I just looked that up.
    Apparently "sister cities" aren't determined by similarity.

It's in the northside, so by definition it's world-class, right?

WOW, If only Okc Urban Renewal could get their hands on that.

Just think of the possiblities, Plazas, Parks, Pastures, Parking Lots....etc.

Blog Entries

If we could only get a hold of their 1.3 BILLION people there wouldn't be any room for parks and plazas.

I've traveled and done business in China. I hope people here don't want to use their Communist planned cities as urbanization examples. Outside of some areas architecture and city planning is definitely not exciting.

I've traveled and done business in China. I hope people here don't want to use their Communist planned cities as urbanization examples.
    Yes, they love their empty plazas ... look at how lively Olympic plaza is in Beijing these days ... this pic is less than a year old.

But ... I see another one in our future too, maybe not with the Sun Moon Plaza per se, just sayin':

Hey, don't pick on SandRidge. They did put the cheap-looking, cheesy Thunder banner atop their building, so everything's cool.

You can please some of the people, some of the time---but you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Thread Information