Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Asian District

Default Re: Asian District

Brianna Bailey's update on the Milk Bottle Building.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5297789?embargo=1

A quirky Oklahoma City landmark since 1930, the milk bottle grocery building at NW 23 and N Classen is being restored to its original appearance.
    “The windows have been boarded up for a long time and they are going to completely redo the inside and get it ready for another tenant,” said Catherine Montgomery, preservation architect at Preservation & Design Studio, who has assisted with the renovations.

A flavored milk bar also serving soy and almond milk. Or a bubble tea drive thru.

Milk bar?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	9012

Maybe hometown hero Danny Bowein could convince his good friend David Chang to open a Momofuku Milk Bar: OKC.

Momofuku Milk Bar | we're momofuku milk bar, a bakery in nyc. we make cookies, cakes, pies and more!

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Milk bar?

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	9012
    Not quite like that one.

Classen Coffee opened today at 2515 N. Classen.

I can't wait to visit Classen Coffee. I was in this building a couple years ago when the church to the south used it as storage. It blew me away that such a beautiful building was just sitting tucked away back there sitting empty. From what I've seen on social media they've done an amazing job on all fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by luke911 View Post
    I can't wait to visit Classen Coffee. I was in this building a couple years ago when the church to the south used it as storage. It blew me away that such a beautiful building was just sitting tucked away back there sitting empty. From what I've seen on social media they've done an amazing job on all fronts.
    I stopped in this morning and the building is great. They did a good job keeping the original character. The interior is a bit "rustic" and reminds me of Elemental in that regard, which I like but may not suit everyone's design taste. Sounds like they're working on finishing out the basement as well which will provide a lot more seating. One of the baristas said that when they began the renovations the basement was completely flooded and the stairs had rotted away. I presume they'll do everything they can to limit the risk of future moisture and look forward to seeing it finished out.

More importantly, the coffee was good. First time in a long time that I've been able to drink a true dry cappuccino and not what essentially amounts to a tiny latte (yes - I'm particular about my coffee - is what working at coffee shops through college will do to you). Glad to have this near my house - will become part of the rotation.

Not sure if this deserves its own thread (yet) since it is so early in the process, but a Vietnamese fast-food concept called "Classen F&B" has been proposed for Classen and NW 25th on the empty lot, which is a pretty visible corner and should have some (shielded) outdoor seating. It still needs to go through the Urban Design Commission and City Council, but I'm glad to see something being proposed here on such a small lot. As a resident in the area, I'm appreciate the increasing attention to and development in the Asian district beginning to take place (e.g., this, the apartments on NW 26th, the multi-unit developments west of Classen, etc.).

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.58.57 AM.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	17380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 11.59.11 AM.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	17381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.02.52 PM.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	17382

^

It will be a drive-thru Vietnamese noodle place.

It's yet to be named.

There’s new MILK signage on the front doors and people in the Milk Bottle building on Classen

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    There’s new MILK signage on the front doors and people in the Milk Bottle building on Classen
    yes it will be a nail salon .. its a cute story actually. she has always wanted to have a salon there is why she named her Salon MILK to begin with. and now that dream is coming true for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    yes it will be a nail salon .. its a cute story actually. she has always wanted to have a salon there is why she named her Salon MILK to begin with. and now that dream is coming true for her.
    Very cool, wondering how many nail techs and customers it can have inside at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Very cool, wondering how many nail techs and customers it can have inside at one time?
    I don't know for sure , but I feel like she will be only tech there, maybe another. but yah I wonder how many people will fit.

That was my first thought when I saw the people inside dressed in all black sitting at workstations with ring lights. So cool!

Name:	nails.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	689.3 KB 
ID:	17580

This was her post about it.

Bun bo hue
    Bún bò Huế

Any recommendations for where to try?

I'm not traveling to Vietnam

18. Default Re: Asian District

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Bun bo hue
    Bún bò Huế

Any recommendations for where to try?

I'm not traveling to Vietnam
    Pho Lien Hoa .... take cash... they don't take plastic

19. Default Re: Asian District

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    The new location does on Penn does FYI

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The new location does on Penn does FYI
    That's good to know. Maybe I'll start going there again. It was a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation ��

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post

Name:	nails.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	689.3 KB 
ID:	17580

This was her post about it.
    That's really cool.

Oh nice! Good for Zitta she's a cool gal

24. Default Re: Asian District

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Oh nice! Good for Zitta she's a cool gal
    Agreed. She worked for me years ago. Funny, smart, a little bit saucy, hardworking and full of good ideas. Glad to see someone who cares about that building get a chance to activate it.

Press release:

Business Leaders Launch the New Greater Oklahoma City Asian Chamber of Commerce

OKLAHOMA CITY (January 25, 2023) - The Greater Oklahoma City Asian Chamber of Commerce board of directors announced today the official kick off for the new organization and its inaugural year during Lunar New Year. Oklahoma City Mayor David Holt joined the celebration by serving as the guest speaker at a media event at the Grand House Asian Bistro in Oklahoma City.

With a growing Asian population and an increasing number of Asian-owned businesses in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area, a group of community leaders and entrepreneurs created the new Asian Chamber with a mission to support the economic growth of the Asian community in the Greater Oklahoma City area.

In addition to Mayor Holt, Gov. Kevin Stitt and Congresswoman Stephanie Bice’s staff shared remarks honoring the contributions of the Asian American and Pacific Islander members who have made Oklahoma and the United States their home.

“Asian American and Pacific Islander residents have made a tremendous impact in the State of Oklahoma and across the nation, serving in vital leadership roles at the local, state, and national level, leading businesses, making breakthroughs in science and technology, building businesses, serving in our military, serving in public office, excelling in sports, arts, education and more,” said Governor Stitt.

“The Asian American and Pacific Islander community is rapidly expanding and has already had positive effects throughout Oklahoma City. The Greater Oklahoma City Asian Chamber of Commerce will empower businesses and allow new growth opportunities throughout Oklahoma’s Fifth Congressional District,” said Congresswoman Stephanie Bice.

ECONOMIC IMPACT
    The Asian community is one of the fastest growing populations in the nation, state and city. Locally, the meaningful contributions to the economy have also increased. The 2020 Census data shows that nearly 50,000 Asian residents live in the greater OKC metropolitan area. Surveys show there are more than 5,300 businesses resulting in $203 million in payroll and $1.25 billion in sales.

“We started out with a small group of entrepreneurs from different businesses and backgrounds in early 2022 and quickly grew into a strong and passionate team of prominent business leaders serving as board of directors and committee members,” said Scarlet Le-Cao, the inaugural president of the Greater Oklahoma City Asian Chamber of Commerce. “The Asian population is incredibly diverse, and we want to preserve our cultural heritage and support economic development for Asian communities in the greater Oklahoma City metropolitan area. It is critically important to advocate, represent and provide our communities with valuable tools for their businesses and professions.”

The Asian Chamber will work closely in partnership with other chambers of commerce, the city and state to strengthen the minority business enterprise and workforce. The goal is to establish long-term relationships to build foundational growth for Oklahoma City’s economy.

“For decades, Oklahoma City has been the proud home of a vibrant Vietnamese American community. The Asian community has grown significantly and made a remarkable impact on our neighborhoods and local economy,” said Mayor David Holt of the City of Oklahoma City. “This special Lunar New Year celebration not only marks a new beginning for the chamber and for our city but also promotes unity, spurs innovation and fosters economic growth.”

FOUNDING BOARD OF DIRECTORS
    A group of prominent business leaders and professionals make up the founding board of directors including officers Scarlet Le-Cao, president; Mary Nhin, vice president; Victoria Tran, vice president; Chante Sourignavong, treasurer; and Ernest Abrogar, Secretary.

Other board of directors include Cassandra Kalancha, education programs committee chair; Mydazjah Petties, events committee chair; Thao Nguyen-Pham, membership committee chair; Thuan Hieu Nguyen, advocacy committee chair; Valorie J Filippo, board member; Tasneem Ahmad Al-Michael, board member; Mike Hoang, board member; Jacqueline Sit, marketing committee chair; Justin Le, board member; and Victor Flores, fundraising committee chair.

The advisory board includes Roy Williams, Meg Salyer, Ban Nguyen, Nathan Cao and Robert Palmer.

“Our values treasure diversity, innovation, integrity, teamwork and communication, and we are excited as an organization to grow, serve and support our Asian community,” Le-Cao said.

The chamber’s vision statements are:
    o To connect, strengthen and advocate for Asian businesses and professionals in the greater Oklahoma City metro by supporting pro-business policies.
    o To recruit Asian-owned businesses and Asian talents to areas we serve.
    o To facilitate fair and equitable access to opportunities for Asian businesses and professionals.
    o To pursue educational and cultural initiatives for the greater Oklahoma City Asian communities.

The chamber’s founding sponsors were officially announced at the event. The sponsors include: Paycom, Chesapeake, Jimmy’s Egg, OKC Thunder, Super Cao Nguyen Market, OG&E, First National Bank, Gooden Group, Full Sail Capital, Nhinja Sushi & Wok, Ninja Life Hacks, True Sky Federal Credit Union, Tinker Federal Credit Union, Stride Bank, Practical Preparedness, THN Insurance, CMM Financial, Navaid Health, and Neuroradiology & Pain Solutions of Oklahoma.

To join The Greater Oklahoma City Asian Chamber of Commerce, to become a sponsor or to learn more, visit asianchamberokc.com.

Thread Information