Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Seems unlikely but according to the manager at the May location, they are keeping it open. That may change once the new one opens and their business shifts north.
    No kidding? That would only be one mile apart. On the other hand, maybe they're hoping they can both be viable since the 36th street store is literally the last chain burger store on May southbound until the southside. Also very dense neighborhoods surrounding it. I hadn't even thought of them trying to operate both as a possibility. Interesting.

Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    So, we have - at least - two of the dozen original A-frames left. I've seen a lot of the newer stores throughout the southeast and they are all very nice looking. The upgrade to NWX and May from 36th will be an improvement (with the new building and much better location). Those older stores though have been there forever - will be another change in the landscape to get used to. It's funny how something like a chain burger shop can become part of the fabric of a neighborhood, especially when they have out of the ordinary shapes, colors, logos, etc.
    I think the OKC locations were their first expansion outside of the state of Texas and the A-frame was still their base building at the time. I can't think of one of them left in the Austin area, there might be one or two on the northside but most of the ones that I can think of (and frequent) are pretty recent builds. I know the one in Port Aransas is a modified A-frame, it has the peaked roof but shed roofs to each side. I don't think it is one of the original A-frames like in OKC, the peak just doesn't seem as tall.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    No kidding? That would only be one mile apart. On the other hand, maybe they're hoping they can both be viable since the 36th street store is literally the last chain burger store on May southbound until the southside. Also very dense neighborhoods surrounding it. I hadn't even thought of them trying to operate both as a possibility. Interesting.
    I am skeptical too. The manager told me they were told at first that it was a "relocation" of the existing store but then decided that the existing one was too profitable (long since paid for). But there are ongoing maint issues with older buildings. All of that may change once the new one opens and their existing customers shift to the newer location. Time will tell.

As far as having locations very close by, it doesn't seem to bother places like McDonalds. Seems you have one at nearly every exit along I-40 once you get past the Fairgrounds (with 2 locations in some spots, a stand alone and one inside the Wal-Mart). Same along NW Expressway. I realize that the 2 aren't in the same category but the concept can work out.

I think it's pretty funny how a tall and fat clothing store is one of the main anchors of this shopping center. According to their website: http://www.destinationxl.com/ they sell size 38-64 in waist size and big sizes XL-7XL.

If you eat so much you split your pants at Dave & Busters, Whataburger or Jack n' The Box you can go head on up to DXL for new pants. I noticed they are part of the Casual Male family of stores. I wonder if that means they will close their store by Gold's on NW Expressway and Portland.

Good observations...although they might keep the one next to Gold's Gym and just carry more stuff for big guys due to muscle instead of fat...LOL

I miss the old style I-HOPs that were in the A frame buildings too (the buildings are still all over town, most seem to be pawn shops), IHOP abandoned the Metro decades ago and then came back. Am sure it is because we have an NBA team now (I kid)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I miss the old style I-HOPs that were in the A frame buildings too (the buildings are still all over town, most seem to be pawn shops), IHOP abandoned the Metro decades ago and then came back. Am sure it is because we have an NBA team now (I kid)
    Another business that used A Frame construction frequently was Howard Johnson's.

true, I miss HoJos as well

Drove by the site on my way to work and it looks like they are putting up the west wall. Do we know if there is a construction cam for this site?

No, but we have lots of whataburger pics

noticedlast week, thought somebody would have posted by now but there is a wall that has gone up on the area I beleive the plans show for D&B. Anybody know if this is one of D&B's walls?

Dave & Busters will be on the far north end, closest to NW Expressway. If that is where the wall is going up, it's gotta be for D&B's.

Also, there is a strip center going up south of there as part of the same development, so it could be for that instead.

it is the far northwest side

Here is a recent photo. The wall is certainly for D&B's:

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    noticedlast week, thought somebody would have posted by now but there is a wall that has gone up on the area I beleive the plans show for D&B. Anybody know if this is one of D&B's walls?
    Look two posts up...

Photo from today... They are moving right along:

That's crazy. It's seems like it took forever to grade that lot and I go out of town for a week and half of the walls are up. I will have to get a closer look when I go to Target tomorrow.

18. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

I wonder how long it's going to take to put in electrical in this place. Don't you know that guy is going to have a LOT of work cut out for him with all those games!

Photo from today:

20. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

The pace has really picked up at the construction site. Construction of the new Target entrance has begun and has northbound traffic is narrowed to one lane. The Target entrance is being moved just a tad north to meet up with the "new" 52nd street which will have a light at 52nd & May to enter/exit Target or enter/exit the new retail complex.

They really need to replace the May Ave. Bridge. It's old, bad design and really deteriorating. I love the look of it, but with this new light, traffic on that stretch of May is going to be a bigger pain. On the northbound lanes on May at the light on 50th, is probably the worst paved road in OKC, worse than 10th and Portland area. May really needs to be widened through there with flyovers off of NWE.

IMO, May & Expressway needs to be totally redone. A new bridgedeck, yes, but the space is not large enough for flyovers. So if anything, it needs to be a fully functional street level intersection. Right now, its worse than the clover leafs at 235/44!

Didn't they just redo it a few years ago?

No, that was landscaping and widening the creek that goes right there under May Avenue. The bridge is still decrepit.

I would hate to see them put in an actual intersection at NW Expressway and May. I drive through there everyday on my way to work, the traffic backup would pretty bad. That one stretch from Independence to Villa is really the only part of the NW Expressway that truly makes it into an expressway. The rest of the it is riddled with stop lights that are horribly timed. Space would be really cramped if they did fly overs, but it may work. But yes, something does need to be done with that bridge, it's like a mini crosstown bridge.

Thread Information