Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    This is awesome. I've never eaten there but that corner of Expressway and May is a huge eye sore. If the other restaurant were to be a Jack In the Box, that would be cool, as the closest one is down on MacArthur & I-40. If it were an IHOP too, that would make sense, since the Denny's was closed, site dozed, and the Chick-Fil-A is almost open.
    May be too close for an IHOP (there is one in the Belle Isle area, just north of NW Expressway/Classen (before you get to Classen Curve)

Finally! Like others have said, I would have liked to see this built closer to downtown. That's alright though, considering that their developments tend to be suburban. This is great in-fill, I'm so glad it isn't being built up on Memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Also, to answer the earlier question, even D&B's suburban stores are often more urban in design or mixed-use development other than this plan. Kansas City D&B comes to mind.
    Kansas City's DB is in an outlet mall on the outskirts of KC. Hardly urban. For the size of available land I think they've done the best they can with two restaurants and a hotel. Let's not rush judgment without seeing the design of the exterior first.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Kansas City's DB is in an outlet mall on the outskirts of KC. Hardly urban. For the size of available land I think they've done the best they can with two restaurants and a hotel. Let's not rush judgment without seeing the design of the exterior first.
    redrunner, that would ruin everyone's fun. You know the posters here can't wait to find some reason to be critical. LOL

WOOHOO! Well, this is very good news indeed. First, I have wanted a D&B just as many others on this site, and am happy that a deal has been worked out. Second, I drive past this location every day and am constantly asking myself, "when is someone going to clean up that horrible Smicklas site?". I think this location is excellent. Someone mentioned that they are "the only thing to do" in the area, but really, the area actually has a lot of bars and night clubs. Juniors is right down NW Exp, the Lighthouse, Cousins, Chesters Pool Hall, Electro Lounge, the Office, and that new sports bar at the new hotel (whatever it is called). I am so happy with the proposed location. I am in full support of any one putting money in to May on this side of the expressway. If they had put it in Bricktown, I would have never gone there at all.

And, it must be said, at least they aren't building out on Memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I dont think the location is odd. Outside of being in bricktown, I think this location is great. However, I do agree that something more midrise and more mixed use would be great there. This would have been a good spot for another specialty grocer (trader joes) along with some other retail and a nice hotel or smaller, nicer apartment complex in the back.

I know this was for sale. Did someone buy it or has the seller decided to develop it themselves?
    pass that way frequently and Trader Joe's has long been on my wish list!! Is there still enough room?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    May be too close for an IHOP (there is one in the Belle Isle area, just north of NW Expressway/Classen (before you get to Classen Curve)
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that one...

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    WOOHOO! Well, this is very good news indeed. First, I have wanted a D&B just as many others on this site, and am happy that a deal has been worked out. Second, I drive past this location every day and am constantly asking myself, "when is someone going to clean up that horrible Smicklas site?". I think this location is excellent. Someone mentioned that they are "the only thing to do" in the area, but really, the area actually has a lot of bars and night clubs. Juniors is right down NW Exp, the Lighthouse, Cousins, Chesters Pool Hall, Electro Lounge, the Office, and that new sports bar at the new hotel (whatever it is called). I am so happy with the proposed location. I am in full support of any one putting money in to May on this side of the expressway. If they had put it in Bricktown, I would have never gone there at all.
    809 Sports Grill. It's a pretty cool venue. Really upscale.

I completely agree with "had it gone in Bricktown", lol. I still haven't even been to Coyote Ugly!

With this going in, they need to do a complete overhaul on the NWE/May Avenue interchange. I know they just did some extensive patch work on May but that bridge is old and dilapidated and needs to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    And, it must be said, at least they aren't building out on Memorial.
    YES! High Five!

Odd location.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Yes, I shouldn't have used the word urban. I've been to the one in Overland Park (KC), it's in the Legends, which is similar to Dallas's Grapevine Mills area, except probably a little more dense. I mentioned mixed-use development, but should have left the words urban in design out. The one in KC is located on the 2nd floor of Legends mall and has a skywalk connected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    With this going in, they need to do a complete overhaul on the NWE/May Avenue interchange. I know they just did some extensive patch work on May but that bridge is old and dilapidated and needs to be replaced.
    As do dozens, if not hundreds of other bridges in the metro area... Yet they keep widening streets way the hell up north instead of fixing broken stuff (which kind of ties in to the sprawl thread elsewhere). OK, hijack over, back to D&Bs, sorry.

2007 City Bond Election included the streets bordered by May, Portland, 50th and 63rd (#5):

http://www.okc.gov/bonds2007/BondInf...xt=Resurfacing

Although the bridge over May is not included in the bridge plan from the same bond issue:

http://www.okc.gov/bonds2007/BondInf...itate%20Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    Seems like an odd location from a traffic standpoint. It's hard by the exit ramp from EB NW Highway to SB May, but there won't be any access to the site from there. Looks like traffic will have to go north on Brookline, or take the service road that parallels EB NW Highway, that curves into Brookline. Kind of a roundabout traffic pattern. I would think they would want direct access from May.
    No, the current entrance into the old Smicklas Chevrolet, i.e., NW 52nd St., will remain open off May Avenue.

I think the larger restaurant building (not Dave and Busters) is going to be a new Denny's. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that somewhere.

whoop de doo.

17. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    No, the current entrance into the old Smicklas Chevrolet, i.e., NW 52nd St., will remain open off May Avenue.
    That's exactly right. There is a northbound turn-lane to go west into the property. I think it's a great location.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Are there any D&B in urban locations? I'm not that familiar with the chain and have only been to the one in Denver which is in a similar location (I-25 & Colorado area). I think they had a parking garage though, and there was a United Artists theater in the same development.
    Yes, they are in a number of urban locations. I was at the Wash DC on awhile back.

I guess this is a good get for the city. Just don't expect the food to be very special...it isn't. It is very ordinary, but the place is like a more adult (barely) arcade that serves food.

I got this response from Dave and Busters tonight.

OKC will be sized around 23,000 sf, so larger than Tulsa.

If everything goes as planned, we should be open in twelve months.
    to OKC!

20. Default Re: Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

My experience at D & B's has not been good. Yes, you can take your kids and play games but when the night is over and its time to cash in your tickets, I have never seen anything even remotely desireable to trade your tickets for. I would have been satisfied if they had a can of Coke or a Pack of Topps Baseball cards. My 10 year old couldn't find one thing he wanted in their entire store. That being said, I am glad they are coming to OKC to redevelop a deteriorating piece of property. Hopefully, people will give them an earful if there isn't anything for your tickets and they will try to improve things.

Quote Originally Posted by dclokc View Post
    I got this response from Dave and Busters tonight.

OKC will be sized around 23,000 sf, so larger than Tulsa.

If everything goes as planned, we should be open in twelve months.
    to OKC!
    Yeah, we already established the size relative to Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    My experience at D & B's has not been good. Yes, you can take your kids and play games but when the night is over and its time to cash in your tickets, I have never seen anything even remotely desireable to trade your tickets for. I would have been satisfied if they had a can of Coke or a Pack of Topps Baseball cards. My 10 year old couldn't find one thing he wanted in their entire store. That being said, I am glad they are coming to OKC to redevelop a deteriorating piece of property. Hopefully, people will give them an earful if there isn't anything for your tickets and they will try to improve things.
    My last visit to D&B I redeemed my tickets for a set of beer glasses with a D&B logo and thick glass ashtray for guests to use outside during parties. I thought that was pretty cool.

Man alive, this ticket thing is just an enormous issue for you, isn't it?

...I've taken my son and relatives to D & B's in Denver, won a boatload of tickets, took them to the exchange shop and found nothing but garbage. Even my son, 8 years old at the time, was irritated that there was absolutely nothing there he wanted. Even candy bars or Hot Wheels or plastic soldiers or a comic book or something any kid would want to play with would have been OK, but there was literally nothing of value or worth in that shop.

We sent a very nicely worded email to the corporate office (just in case that particular location was poorly stocked) and got no response whatsoever.

D & B's is a total waste of money and a lousy company.
    Dave & Busters might be a worthwhile place to go if they offered something of value for all those tickets you win. Even my 9 year old found absolutely nothing in their store he wanted. It was all garbage. I sent the company a very polite email to their feedback address stating this fact and got no response. When people realize what a ripoff the place is, they will stop going there. GIve your money to a local venue, instead.
    I don't know and it doesn't really effect me. I've just had 2 straight really irritating experiences at D & B's so I will choose not to go there again. Perhaps there's a business opportunity for someone. With Wii and cable and movies, I just don't see the point to it. I just have a real problem when they aren't going to offer anything remotely decent to trade your tickets in for. Hell, offer bags of chips or a Coke or Hot Wheels or something of value.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Man alive, this ticket thing is just an enormous issue for you, isn't it?
    LOL. Good catch Matt.

One is left to wonder why he apparently keeps taking his son back there year after year, when the poor boy was irritated with the place on his first visit. ;-)

Hard to get a handle on what kids value anyway...they go bananas over anything plastic that may look cool diving off the kitchen table

If you are an adult playing for tickets and wanting valuable prizes then you might want to take a step back and reevaluate the situation

Thread Information