Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    KODI is great. Big fan here. What "Google Box" do you have? I have KODI set up on a PC as well as a custom KODI OS callled OSMC for a Raspberry PI 2, all with a MythServer backend and a HDHomeRun network tuner, made essentially useless by Cox DRM crappage.
    In an ethical sense, Kodi (formerly XBMC) is complicated.

It's kind of like BitTorrent. In and of itself, BitTorrent is not illegal. It's what people do with the client. Most download movies, music, and TV shows from KAT, Demonoid, etc. That's what makes using BitTorrent "illegal."

Do you see people use Kodi without illegal plug-ins? Price aside, what makes it better than a Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc. if you choose to not use the illegal plug-ins that can basically replace your cable service?

In the end, stealing from writers, actors, singers, bands, etc. will lead to LESS content.

Illegal Plug-ins for Kodi?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    In an ethical sense, Kodi (formerly XBMC) is complicated.

It's kind of like BitTorrent. In and of itself, BitTorrent is not illegal. It's what people do with the client. Most download movies, music, and TV shows from KAT, Demonoid, etc. That's what makes using BitTorrent "illegal."

Do you see people use Kodi without illegal plug-ins? Price aside, what makes it better than a Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc. if you choose to not use the illegal plug-ins that can basically replace your cable service?

In the end, stealing from writers, actors, singers, bands, etc. will lead to LESS content.
    There's no ethical issue for me and Kodi. I only want it to work with what I'm already paying for, eg my HD Homerun device that uses a paid-for Cox cablecard in conjunction with my paid-for Cox subscription in conjunction with my MythTV recorder back-end (and I don't even have any premium movie channels). That's exactly how I use my DVR with Cox, and exactly how I should be able to use it myself without paying for Cox equipment. Not interested in grabbing illegal torrents or illegal plug ins or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post
    Illegal Plug-ins for Kodi?
    I'm thinking of the plugins I mentioned earlier (sports ones). While not technically legal, sketchy at best.

KODI is great. Big fan here. What "Google Box" do you have? I have KODI set up on a PC as well as a custom KODI OS callled OSMC for a Raspberry PI 2, all with a MythServer backend and a HDHomeRun network tuner, made essentially useless by Cox DRM crappage.
    You are way more Techie than I my friend.. I had to have a friend set mine up.. I bought a X2 smart android box and a keyboard controller off gearbest.com..

There are many plug-ins for Kodi that replace Cable for me that aren't illegal and are from the source. such as Redbull TV which we enjoy. I am not really interested in watching a first run movie that someone went into a theater and filmed with a pocket cam.

Blog Entries

So what is Cox's point? Everyone wants a DVR? IN other news, water is wet, the sky is high, and dirt is dirty.

OF COURSE everyone wants a DVR. That's what spurred the entire DIGITAL CONTENT ADVENT in the last thirty years. Anyone remember VCR's? The Format Wars?

Why were studios and content providers behind the original push to digital content away from analog? Because they were incensed that SCOTUS granted legitimate home users the ability to create libraries of recorded material for which they were paying on their old, clunky VCR's without shelling out the equivalent of per-view fees every time the credits rolled. Right now, Cox and their ilk are the prime beneficiaries of this scheme, with a practical impossibility of enjoying recorded content without being forced to rent *their* equipment at *absurd* prices.

Of COURSE people want to watch what they want to watch when they want to watch it, and that should be (and, legally, is) part-and-parcel of paying for the content.

But what's happened in the interim is that the media industry has constructed this abhorrent scheme to prevent or at least complicate the legitimate creation of personally recorded content. The industry realized early on that technologies based on analog TV could never be altered to prevent the practice of creating home recording libraries of over-the-air or over-the-wire content. As a result, only control of the content delivery system could afford the technology necessary to frustrate this legitimate use. The incredible waste is seen in the artificial creation of a layer of technology (called "Digital Rights Management") that provides *zero* end-user benefit, drastically complicates the means of content delivery from a technical perspective, yet costs that same end-user more and more. We should be seeing an even *greater* explosion and expansion of digital content and consumer options for enjoying it, yet the spectre of DRM hovers a cancerous shadow over the entire universe of digital media delivery - all to the detriment of the legitimate, paying consumer. But what's getting ready to happen? The industry is getting ready to refocus home digital media delivery through consoles like PS4's and XBox Ones - provided they are "DTCP certified," which means paying certification fees in the tens of thousands of dollars, and "allowing" you to record local content provided your network is as fast as they think it should be - or the inference will be that you're a pirate.

I'm going to stop. This pressed a button for me.

I'm sorry for the rant, which I realize is slightly orthogonal to cord-cutting, but this is a *serious* sore spot with me. Yes, I know piracy is a thing and I have no desire whatsoever to advocate it; stealing is stealing. My rant is focused on what has already been established as the legitimate use of content for which I am already paying. Studios have broadly oversold the piracy argument to defeat the legitimate purposes of paying consumers. But this idea that it is acceptable for DVR technology to seem this closed, reserved, balled up secret necessarily costing hundreds of dollars every year is an egregious lie perpetrated by an industry who could not care less about the legitimate consumer public.

Rant mode off.

I don't want a DVR it requires too much thinking. I want what I want when I want it without having to know ahead of time that I ever wanted it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I don't want a DVR it requires too much thinking. I want what I want when I want it without having to know ahead of time that I ever wanted it.
    Same. I've never owned a DVR and don't want one. Yes I used to have a VCR that I programmed, but even then I rarely used it that way.

Blog Entries

water is wet, the sky is blue, and women have secrets.
    Fixed it for you

12. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

We dropped cable back in February, and I've found that I miss the DVR more than the channels we no longer get. We had several shows that were set to auto-record when a new episode aired. We just had to find some time in the evening and/or weekend to sit down and watch them. On the rare occasion that we could devote an entire Saturday to watching the DVR, I called it a DVR Clearance Sale - "Everything Must Go!"

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    We dropped cable back in February, and I've found that I miss the DVR more than the channels we no longer get. We had several shows that were set to auto-record when a new episode aired. We just had to find some time in the evening and/or weekend to sit down and watch them. On the rare occasion that we could devote an entire Saturday to watching the DVR, I called it a DVR Clearance Sale - "Everything Must Go!"
    Get an Amazon firestick.

I've watched the whole bowl season on ESPN on my Roku through Sling TV. It's been great!

If you hurry, you can get a Sling two MONTH trial at:
    https://www.google.com/chromecast/get-offers/sling/
    (No, you don't really need a Chromecast to get the 2 month trial)

Sling has a Roku app that is really nice, you can also watch on your laptop if you're not at home.

Devices supported:

WATCH ON YOUR TV

Amazon Fire TV

Roku Player

Xbox One

Chromecast

Nexus Player

WATCH ON DEVICES

iOS

Android™

Mac

PC

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I agree. That's why I like cougars.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of pricing Giggablast from Cox will be , it supposed to be 100 times faster than their fast current offering... I'm guessing this is in answer to google fiber announcing they were coming to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Get an Amazon firestick.
    I just got an Amazon firestick, and haven't set it up. I've had a Roku for 2 years but didn't really get in-depth with it. What would you suggest I look into as far as setting up my fire stick?

Does anyone have any idea what kind of pricing Giggablast from Cox will be , it supposed to be 100 times faster than their fast current offering... I'm guessing this is in answer to google fiber announcing they were coming to town.
    $99.95. Actually, it's been in the works for quite some time. Expect promotional pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    I just got an Amazon firestick, and haven't set it up. I've had a Roku for 2 years but didn't really get in-depth with it. What would you suggest I look into as far as setting up my fire stick?

Add Kodi to it. You can google how. It's fairly simple and adds a lot value to the fire stick. Also, if you have any iOS devices you can add AirPlay capability to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post

Add the Kodi app if not already loaded, then the possibilities are endless.... Phoenix and 1Channel are a few of my favorite add-ones

$99.95. Actually, it's been in the works for quite some time. Expect promotional pricing.
    I wonder how that will compare to google fiber, I just checked and Giggablast isn't available in my neck of the woods yet.....

I wonder how that will compare to google fiber, I just checked and Giggablast isn't available in my neck of the woods yet.....
    Here's the latest pricing for Google Fiber in Kansas City:
    https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/

Here's the latest pricing for Google Fiber in Kansas City:
    https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/
    Google Fiber, consider this my official order. The day you come to Mustang, sign me up for Gigabit + TV. Three additional TV boxes please. (Adds $15/month).

25. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Honestly I was surprised by gigablast. They actually offer 1gig down and up. I figured they would have lower upload speed as they usually do.

Wonder if it still has the cap...

Thread Information