Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

1. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Fully agreed. I got a Smart TV as a gift a few years ago and the apps are basically unusable now. I've tried updating and even did a factory reset and it's not any better. I've got a nice dumb TV and Chromecast in the bedroom and it's a 10x more enjoyable experience.
    What apps are unusable? I'm pretty happy with mine, but all I'm really interested in are the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps (maybe Hulu too). On my TV, there seems to be a tie-in with a bunch of Yahoo apps, but I couldn't care less about those.

Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Yeah. I am curious about this too. Which TV's have been troublesome? As a rule, we tend to use Samsung. In part because of this issue. I have abandoned Sony. They make great hardware, but their apps have left a great deal to be desired. The apps by Sony have been heavy on promoting ads and less about actually letting you control your TV.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    What apps are unusable? I'm pretty happy with mine, but all I'm really interested in are the Netflix and Amazon Prime apps (maybe Hulu too). On my TV, there seems to be a tie-in with a bunch of Yahoo apps, but I couldn't care less about those.
    You must have a Vizio. I have a 32" Vizio smart tv and all I use (app wise) is Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I don't see those apps being unsupported anytime soon. For weather and stock apps -- who cares that's why I have my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Yeah. I am curious about this too. Which TV's have been troublesome? As a rule, we tend to use Samsung. In part because of this issue. I have abandoned Sony. They make great hardware, but their apps have left a great deal to be desired. The apps by Sony have been heavy on promoting ads and less about actually letting you control your TV.
    Well, in all fairness, as a software guy myself, I understand what he's saying. Some of the apps aren't exceptionally well tested, some work well, some don't. As an example, the Amazon streaming app in one of my BluRay players has been nearly flawless, but the DLNA client in my other BluRay player has interesting "glitches" I've had to learn to live with.

I think Samsung is one of the manufacturers trying to "up the ante" on quality control for their embedded apps, as they've released a baseline DLNA client (don't remember what it's called) for their most-recent TV's, and I've heard/read good, but not perfect, feedback on its operations.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Well, in all fairness, as a software guy myself, I understand what he's saying. Some of the apps aren't exceptionally well tested, some work well, some don't. As an example, the Amazon streaming app in one of my BluRay players has been nearly flawless, but the DLNA client in my other BluRay player has interesting "glitches" I've had to learn to live with.

I think Samsung is one of the manufacturers trying to "up the ante" on quality control for their embedded apps, as they've released a baseline DLNA client (don't remember what it's called) for their most-recent TV's, and I've heard/read good, but not perfect, feedback on its operations.
    Hi SoonerDave, With more cordcutters this is becoming a bigger problem. It makes me wish for standards across devices. For example, the Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, WD TV Live, all use different software. Then you look at the different built-in apps in the TV's themselves for those that want to stay away from set-top boxes. I know that Reed Hastings has pointed to this as a real problem. For one thing, the user interfaces are all different. Netflix on Roku looks completely different than the Netflix UI on Chromecast, which looks different than....on and on. I have many friends with problems of lack of firmware updates with proprietary apps from TV manufacturers. One in particular complains that they can't access Netflix "Profiles" using their built-in TV app. I think the "Roku inside" HDTV's are the best, or a Roku box itself, because their entire mission is to offer content, stay on top of all the changes, and update them on-the-fly. Where TV manufacturers, using their own apps, are only ok in my opinion, I realize that's NOT their primary mission. There will be a shake-out with all of this, but I don't think the HDTV manufacturer apps are going to be the best solution in the end. Roku built-in to HDTV is very good and perfectly maintained. I know that their pitch to manufacturers is that they can offer licenses to their service, with all updates, and customer support, and it be a better deal financially than companies rolling their own and then having to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I have a Samsung Smart TV, and I'll admit, "unusable" is probably an overstatement. But my netflix and hulu apps are super slow. I have to restart my TV all the time to get them to actually play something, sometimes even having to unplug the power for a full reset. Even after applying all of the updates, compared to my other TV and Chromecast, it's definitely a more frustrating experience. Now that I have SlingTV, I've invested in a Roku 3 which should be here in a few days. I'm interested to see the difference.

7. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

I have a Samsung Smart TV, and I'll admit, "unusable" is probably an overstatement. But my netflix and hulu apps are super slow. I have to restart my TV all the time to get them to actually play something, sometimes even having to unplug the power for a full reset. Even after applying all of the updates, compared to my other TV and Chromecast, it's definitely a more frustrating experience. Now that I have SlingTV, I've invested in a Roku 3 which should be here in a few days. I'm interested to see the difference.
    Didn't go for the Roku 4?

8. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Yeah, that would be frustrating. I've used Netflix and Amazon Prime on my TV, an XBox360 a PS3 as well as the Kindle Fire stick and haven't had any issues (yet). *Knocks on wood*

I recently purchased a jail broken Amazon fire stick , it litter all is the greatest 100 dollar investment I've ever made, if it continues to work as well as it has been so far , I'll be turning off my cable, Netflix , and Hulu accounts. Anyone else have any thing to add about these little jewels ?

Did it happen to be from something called fire stick guy? I had a paper stuck in my for advertising for him. Looked into it and I'm fairly certain he's on shaky legal ground. Maybe there's a loophole for what he specifically is doing, but ultimately he's providing easy access to pirated television and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Did it happen to be from something called fire stick guy? I had a paper stuck in my for advertising for him. Looked into it and I'm fairly certain he's on shaky legal ground. Maybe there's a loophole for what he specifically is doing, but ultimately he's providing easy access to pirated television and movies.
    My friend bought them from a lady online garage sale Facebook page. There's an app called kodi, that streams everything for free live tv , movies, ppv, it's pretty badass , I've seen where some say it's illegal and others say that since your not downloading anything it's legal. Not sure but so far I love it.

12. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I recently purchased a jail broken Amazon fire stick , it litter all is the greatest 100 dollar investment I've ever made, if it continues to work as well as it has been so far , I'll be turning off my cable, Netflix , and Hulu accounts. Anyone else have any thing to add about these little jewels ?
    I hope you didn't pay a lot extra. I can show you how to add Kodi to the fire tv or stick. Takes a total of 10 minutes.

For Kodi users.. are you able to see Thunder Games Live?.. I am considering either a Andoid box with Codi or a Firestick and am wanting access to Thunder games

[QUOTE=FighttheGoodFight;918719]I hope you didn't pay a lot extra. I can show you how to add Kodi to the fire tv or stick. Takes a total of 10 minutes.[/QUOTe. It was $100 bucks total, including the stick looks like they sell for around $50 bucks without the kodi app.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    For Kodi users.. are you able to see Thunder Games Live?.. I am considering either a Andoid box with Codi or a Firestick and am wanting access to Thunder games
    it has every single team and sport you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    it has every single team and sport you can imagine.
    Watch your mouth talking dirty like that!

17. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Does Kodi work on Apple TV?

18. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Does Kodi work on Apple TV?
    No. They are working on it for the new one though.

Best Kodi boxes are the Shield TV and Fire TV right now.

Blog Entries

What if you have the Amazon Fire TV box thing (no idea the name but it's not the stick) sorry but you guys are talking a little greek and I'm trying to interpret ! ha

20. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    What if you have the Amazon Fire TV box thing (no idea the name but it's not the stick) sorry but you guys are talking a little greek and I'm trying to interpret ! ha
    Yes you can install Kodi on any FireTV product,

Here is a basic guide: How to sideload apps like Kodi onto the Fire TV ? Using nothing but the Fire TV | AFTVnews

How to launch after install: How to launch Kodi, XBMC, SPMC and other sideloaded apps from the Fire TV homescreen | AFTVnews

Maybe I can charge 50 bucks like the one dude re-selling them with Kodi on it. 10 minutes of time for 50 bucks is nice.

Amazon Fire box you could use Kodi. I am not geeky enough to tell you how however.
    my Geeky friend is wanting to set me up. said I can just get a 2x box and that works to and is only about 35.00.
    but I might just do the Fire box..

22. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    It makes me wish for standards across devices. For example, the Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, WD TV Live, all use different software. Then you look at the different built-in apps in the TV's themselves for those that want to stay away from set-top boxes. I know that Reed Hastings has pointed to this as a real problem. For one thing, the user interfaces are all different. Netflix on Roku looks completely different than the Netflix UI on Chromecast, which looks different than....on and on. I have many friends with problems of lack of firmware updates with proprietary apps from TV manufacturers. One in particular complains that they can't access Netflix "Profiles" using their built-in TV app. I think the "Roku inside" HDTV's are the best, or a Roku box itself, because their entire mission is to offer content, stay on top of all the changes, and update them on-the-fly. Where TV manufacturers, using their own apps, are only ok in my opinion, I realize that's NOT their primary mission. There will be a shake-out with all of this, but I don't think the HDTV manufacturer apps are going to be the best solution in the end. Roku built-in to HDTV is very good and perfectly maintained. I know that their pitch to manufacturers is that they can offer licenses to their service, with all updates, and customer support, and it be a better deal financially than companies rolling their own and then having to support it.
    As a content creator who wants to port their videos onto these boxes and TVs it can be a nightmare trying to write and maintain apps for all these devices. I looked into it about 9 months ago, and finally decided on a solution that was a no brainer for me. I use a company who after I upload my video to dailymotion, they then download the video from there, figure out the captions and metadata and then put it in their apps/channels that are on just about every device/tv. And on top of it all, they pay me for it. I get half the revenue from the ads they serve. Right now they are my primary source of income with my little side project. I get maybe $10 in donations from my website and I haven't seen anything from dailymotion, I have made around $50 so far in 4 months of payments from this company, anyway long story short, if I would have done it all on my own I probably would have just done Roku and hoped for the best.

Ok. got my Google box and kodi rigged up.. MAN!!!. I love this thing!
    I called to cancel my cox.. I only had basic with HBO, ENCOR, STARZ and Cinemax with a box plus my internet. it was a special deal they offered after I cut them years ago.. well my total bill was usually 115.00 and 78.00 of that was Internet.. they kept my internet speed as it was.. and I turned in the box and they left me with just basic cable and my bill is now 68.00.. I will take that.. and with Kodi and Netflix I am plenty entertained and get Thunder games.. SCORE!

As for sports packages. I've read about ballstreams, nfl2go, and I'm currently beta testing reborn4hdlive. Any other services that should be noted? It doesn't have to be sports related, but I am considering looking into doing this next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Ok. got my Google box and kodi rigged up.. MAN!!!. I love this thing!
    I called to cancel my cox.. I only had basic with HBO, ENCOR, STARZ and Cinemax with a box plus my internet. it was a special deal they offered after I cut them years ago.. well my total bill was usually 115.00 and 78.00 of that was Internet.. they kept my internet speed as it was.. and I turned in the box and they left me with just basic cable and my bill is now 68.00.. I will take that.. and with Kodi and Netflix I am plenty entertained and get Thunder games.. SCORE!
    KODI is great. Big fan here. What "Google Box" do you have? I have KODI set up on a PC as well as a custom KODI OS callled OSMC for a Raspberry PI 2, all with a MythServer backend and a HDHomeRun network tuner, made essentially useless by Cox DRM crappage.

Thread Information