Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

1. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    ESPN 3 is not on tv, it's on your computer.
    It's easily put on your TV by use of third-party boxes that will stream other Internet content.

Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    We love RadioTime, too; complete with pre-sets. Have you checked out RadioTime on the Roku? Also, don't forget about Roku "private channels." You won't find them in the Channel Store, you need a code. YouTube, for example, is currently a private channel.
    How do I add my private channels? Where do you get the codes?

Well Cox has lured me back. I'm trying out the Flex Watch package. It's the TV starter package with HBO and Starz. $20 a month.

Is anyone else excited about HBO's announcement to move to being a stand alone service? While I'm hoping that this is the tipping point to ala carte service coming, I think that ESPN is still a big factor in when the momentum really shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Is anyone else excited about HBO's announcement to move to being a stand alone service? While I'm hoping that this is the tipping point to ala carte service coming, I think that ESPN is still a big factor in when the momentum really shifts.
    Yes, that could be the start of a big shift.

ESPN is really the only thing that keeps me tied to cable (actually FIOS).

I recently took a hard look at chucking cable but because it's bundled with my high-speed Internet access, it would only save me about $25 a month for a pretty comprehensive HD package. At that price, it's worth it.

I have pretty much cut the cord except during football season, when it's over it will be back to the the bare minimum and my Roku.

Yup. The day that ESPN decides it doesnt' need the cable cos to get into people's homes will be the death knell for cable as we know it.

We enjoy sports - mostly football - around my house, so that keeps us with ESPN, hence cable.

We cut the cord 10 years ago, and have had various solutions for DVR over the years. Current DVR is a Home Theater PC setup. HD cable w/DVR is about $100/mo now once all fees/taxes are included?

9. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

10. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Wondering if anyone is using anything 'new' to cut the Cable cord since I started this thread in 2010? We went without Cable for awhile, then Cox offered us this great promotion to get us back. We got it extended a couple of times but now they won't budge. We were paying about $130 for basic HD cable with DVR, 2 premium channels (HBO/Showtime), high speed internet, their modem/router and land line. However, without the promotion the monthly fee is over $200.

I'm back to, "it's just not worth it."

I used EyeTV in the past, but its no longer available in the US.

I looked over some DVR/PVR's on Amazon, but the reviews are all over the place.

I was possibly considering Tivo but they have a subscription fee too (though not nearly as high).

Thinking maybe a whole home antennae in the attic with a Tivo in the living room with the ability to send the recorded shows to my office or bedroom.

Anybody using anything new on the market or something tried and tested?

Also looked at the HBO Now service since I have a lot of Apple products. But I honestly don't think I care to pay $15/month for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Wondering if anyone is using anything 'new' to cut the Cable cord since I started this thread in 2010? We went without Cable for awhile, then Cox offered us this great promotion to get us back. We got it extended a couple of times but now they won't budge. We were paying about $130 for basic HD cable with DVR, 2 premium channels (HBO/Showtime), high speed internet, their modem/router and land line. However, without the promotion the monthly fee is over $200.

I used EyeTV in the past, but its no longer avoidable in the US.

I was possibly considering Tivo but they have a subscription fee too (though not nearly as high).

Thinking maybe a whole home antennae in the attic with a Tivo in the living room with the ability to send the recorded shows to my office or bedroom.

Also looked at the HBO Now service since I have a lot of Apple products. But I honestly don't think I care to pay $15/month for it.
    It's still a lot of cobbling services together and making due at this point. I run a Roku with Sling TV (love it), Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I wouldn't pay for the Prime if it weren't for the obvious 2 day shipping benefit. The Sling has really made it much better, now I have ESPN, CNN, Food, HGTV and AMC, along with a couple other channels. I am interested in the HBO service once they offer it off the Apple platforms.

It's pretty obvious that content delivery is moving away from big cable, and it seems to be accelerating, but it's still very much a work in progress.

12. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    It's still a lot of cobbling services together and making due at this point. I run a Roku with Sling TV (love it), Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I wouldn't pay for the Prime if it weren't for the obvious 2 day shipping benefit. The Sling has really made it much better, now I have ESPN, CNN, Food, HGTV and AMC, along with a couple other channels. I am interested in the HBO service once they offer it off the Apple platforms.

It's pretty obvious that content delivery is moving away from big cable, and it seems to be accelerating, but it's still very much a work in progress.
    I received Amazon Prime free for a year with an Amex card I just got. I really like it so far - 2 day shipping, movies, music streaming , etc.

We are also back on Netflix with a promotion.

I hate that some of my local media apps (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) require you to verify a cable account to use them. Isn't the point to get away from cable!??!

I've had Dish network from about the start. I'm extremely happy with the service. I own my own system so I'm not tied to a contract or such. I pay month to month and have free HD for life since its billed to my credit card. I think I'm paying like $78 a month for the top200 (their middle package) I'm also paying for free repair at $5 amonth. If my system goes down, I just call. I've had seem bring me a new system before at now cost. I don't get charged a month equipment fee. No special offers to expire. I think I could upgrade to premium movie package of $10 for each service I'm not a movie watcher so my zillion channels are fine. I rarely have any signal outages. Just plug along and no stress over tv service, the way I like it. For phone and internet I use att just standard phone and dsl internet.

I used EyeTV in the past, but its no longer available in the US.

Have you thought about switching to the economy package? You get most of the popular channels and that is about 40 to 50 dollars a month. You still have access to a DVR.

i'm down to just cox internet... cox converted my landline to a voip setup but was still charging landline prices. the final straw was around a month ago, when I came home to 27 messages on my answering machine and received a robocall about once every three minutes for a couple hours before i just unplugged my phone. the voip service i subscribed to is a fraction of the cost that cox was charging me monthly and provides features to block known spam callers. i haven't gotten a spam call once since i've switched. -M

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm down to just cox internet... cox converted my landline to a voip setup but was still charging landline prices. the final straw was around a month ago, when I came home to 27 messages on my answering machine and received a robocall about once every three minutes for a couple hours before i just unplugged my phone. the voip service i subscribed to is a fraction of the cost that cox was charging me monthly and provides features to block known spam callers. i haven't gotten a spam call once since i've switched. -M
    Martin, can you share what voip service you're using?

It looks like HBO Now was just the beginning for Apple. $30-40/month estimate plus internet would put it in the $70-80 range.

Report: Apple planning streaming TV service

18. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Have you thought about switching to the economy package? You get most of the popular channels and that is about 40 to 50 dollars a month. You still have access to a DVR.
    We are on their most basic HD cable package with a DVR. We are always gonna have to have high speed internet 50MBS or higher.

Their lowest end packages with acceptable internet, HD cable and after DVR add-on, etc. still hit $100 or just over every time we add them up.

We'll probably drop the landline, premium channels we were getting free and go from 100mbs to 50mbs and see where that its us. I think it was still only a $50 savings.

I'd like an over the air option with a DVR and the ability to stream the DVR to 1-3 other TV's. I'd either want to pay for the equipment upfront ($100-$300). Then a high speed internet service for about $60/month or less. Add in some services like Netflix and keep the whole thing to say $100 month or less.

19. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    It looks like HBO Now was just the beginning for Apple. $30-40/month estimate plus internet would put it in the $70-80 range.

Report: Apple planning streaming TV service

I would certainly consider that. Apple TV's dropped in price fairly significantly the other day (below what people are selling them used for). I purchased additional ones for my other TV's outside and in guest rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    Martin, can you share what voip service you're using?
    sure... i went with a device/service called ooma. the device costs around $120 on amazon (i've seen it on sale for $110) and if you want to keep your existing phone number there is a $40 charge to port it. the basic service costs around $4 per month in taxes and fees (e.g. 911 service). the "premier" service, which adds additional call blocking and other convenience features, costs another $10 per month. domestic long distance is included in both plans. i can't tell any difference in sound quality between ooma and cox.

i was spending around $40 per month on service and fees at cox. with ooma, i'm spending $14 per month. at that rate it will take less than a year to make up for the up front costs for the device and number porting.

-M

21. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

We don't have cable, just internet but have any of you tried out Sling TV? I had a trial and it worked pretty well. We ended up not keeping it since we really don't ever sit down to watch shows.

$20 bucks a month with no contract. Comes with Espn 1 and 2, amc, food, travel, hgtv, ifc, tnt, tbs, travel, disney, CN, CNN, abc family. They are adding history and lifetime next month I believe. They have add ons if you want extra channels as well.

We still enjoy Amazon Prime and Netflix. Keeps us pretty busy. I might try HBO Now when it comes out in April (or July after the Apple exclusive deal is up).

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I've had Dish network from about the start. I'm extremely happy with the service. I own my own system so I'm not tied to a contract or such. I pay month to month and have free HD for life since its billed to my credit card. I think I'm paying like $78 a month for the top200 (their middle package) I'm also paying for free repair at $5 amonth. If my system goes down, I just call. I've had seem bring me a new system before at now cost. I don't get charged a month equipment fee. No special offers to expire. I think I could upgrade to premium movie package of $10 for each service I'm not a movie watcher so my zillion channels are fine. I rarely have any signal outages. Just plug along and no stress over tv service, the way I like it. For phone and internet I use att just standard phone and dsl internet.
    Oklip,
    I have everything you mentioned including free HD and I have the and I pay a little more, but I don't own the equipment. And I'm not on a contract. What is the advantages to owning your own equipment? By the way, I pay $8 for the free repair service and they don't hesitate when there's a problem. Not long ago, they replaced my receiver and It was a later model with somethings that were new/improved. I also am not a movie watcher so I don't take any premium channels. I receive free pay for view offers once in a while and I never use them. And once in a while they give a premium channel to everybody for a weekend and I have never watched them either.
    C. T.

MY CURRENT SERVICES
    America's Top 200$ 74.99
    Protection Plan$ 8.00
    DVR Service$ 7.00
    HD Free For Life (reg $10)$ 0.00
    Monthly Charges$ 89.99

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    We don't have cable, just internet but have any of you tried out Sling TV? I had a trial and it worked pretty well. We ended up not keeping it since we really don't ever sit down to watch shows.

$20 bucks a month with no contract. Comes with Espn 1 and 2, amc, food, travel, hgtv, ifc, tnt, tbs, travel, disney, CN, CNN, abc family. They are adding history and lifetime next month I believe. They have add ons if you want extra channels as well.

We still enjoy Amazon Prime and Netflix. Keeps us pretty busy. I might try HBO Now when it comes out in April (or July after the Apple exclusive deal is up).
    I wasn't aware that Sling TV had added AMC...that may be enough to get me to try it.

24. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    ...have any of you tried out Sling TV? ...
    I don't see where you get any of the big 3 (ABC, NBC, CBS). That's mostly all we watch, plus some AMC.

25. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

I don't see where you get any of the big 3 (ABC, NBC, CBS). That's mostly all we watch, plus some AMC.
    We have a 10 dollar antenna. HD OTA is nice for weather events. Hid behind the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    I wasn't aware that Sling TV had added AMC...that may be enough to get me to try it.
    They added it about a month after they sent out Beta invites. People are pretty happy. I believe they added a 3 day replay for certain channels as well.

Thread Information