Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Most of the OTA TV stations in OKC broadcast on UHF frequencies, but channels 5 (KOCO) and 13 (OETA) broadcast on VHF frequencies instead. Most modern TV antennas perform best with UHF frequencies and don't work well (or at all) with VHF signals. To reliably receive channels 5 and 13, you must have an antenna capable of receiving both VHF and UHF signals.

Wal-Mart's more expensive indoor bar antenna gets channel 13, too. Unless in a basement, I doubt most metro residents have much trouble getting all channels with most indoor antennas.

I also think KOCO has a directional signal to protect either or both of KWSO in Lawton and a station in Wichita Falls.

I have been very interested in looking at an attic-mount OTA antenna that I could run to a network streaming device, such as a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Connect, that would then let me get local signals on devices without tuners (an increasing trend).

I have both HD Homerun Connect and Plex. They both do a good job letting me watch Over The Air TV on different devices. I do not use the HD Homerun to DVR. Rather, I use the Plex for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I also think KOCO has a directional signal to protect either or both of KWSO in Lawton and a station in Wichita Falls.

I have been very interested in looking at an attic-mount OTA antenna that I could run to a network streaming device, such as a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Connect, that would then let me get local signals on devices without tuners (an increasing trend).
    This used to be correct, but the situation has since changed. I found this post from 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.hdtvok.com/2010/04/05/koco-tv-gets-new-digital-antenna/comment-page-2/
    Eyewitness News 5 has received a new digital antenna to help improve its over-the-air signal.

The state-of-the-art antenna stands nearly 1,500 feet high and uses an omni-directional, multi-polar signal that should help viewers tune in KOCO-TV better.

Construction crews will take the old analog antenna down from the tower and replace it with the new one over the next few weeks.
    This means KOCO is no longer using a directional signal. KSWO (broadcasting out of Grandfield, OK, near the TX-OK border) used to operate on Channel 7 (the actual RF channel that KOCO broadcasts on), but they moved to Channel 11 in 2009, right before KOCO replaced their broadcast antenna. A report from TVFool shows no other transmitters in the state of Oklahoma or in the Wichita Falls area that operate on Channel 7 that would require protection from KOCO's signal.

Ditto on why channel 5 comes in less strong in outlying areas. On the S meter here channel 5 has 2-3 bars out of 10, while channel 4 has 8.

So...I dropped Cox TV back at the middle of summer. I had installed an antenna in the attic a few years ago and then we backed out of using it. But it's working, except for issues bringing in ABC. I can adjust my antenna and get FOX clearly and not ABC, or the other way around. I ordered a booster but haven't installed it yet.

But the reason for resurrecting this thread...DVRs for antenna only. (I don't think we'll be going back to cable anytime soon.) I have a TIVO Premier with a lifetime license that is still working fine and works with the antenna. I want a DVR for another room, or a way to watch recorded programs in another room. Amazon TV Firecast and a fire stick for each TV? Any other recommendations for antenna only DVR?

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Recas...D08NT7SA364490

You can build a perfectly usable media player from a stock Raspberry Pi box running OSMC that has its own version of Kodi. I've got two of them and I don't think I paid more than maybe $25-30 each, along with a FLIRC IR remote receiver. My prices are a little old, but if you just want to stream DVR recordings from a NAS or SMB share, that'll serve such a purpose very well. Connect them to your TV vida HDMI and you can use HDMI-CEC to use your TV remote to control it.

Alternatively, you could consider a Silicon Dust HD Homerun Quattro four-channel network OTA tuner with its own DVR capability, then play back your recordings on any compatible device on your network.

9. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    So...I dropped Cox TV back at the middle of summer. I had installed an antenna in the attic a few years ago and then we backed out of using it. But it's working, except for issues bringing in ABC. I can adjust my antenna and get FOX clearly and not ABC, or the other way around. I ordered a booster but haven't installed it yet.

But the reason for resurrecting this thread...DVRs for antenna only. (I don't think we'll be going back to cable anytime soon.) I have a TIVO Premier with a lifetime license that is still working fine and works with the antenna. I want a DVR for another room, or a way to watch recorded programs in another room. Amazon TV Firecast and a fire stick for each TV? Any other recommendations for antenna only DVR?

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Recas...D08NT7SA364490
    We cut cable a long time ago. We currently have Apple TV's in every room and a Tivo in the living room. The Tivo can send it's signal to our bedroom or my office (via a smaller Tivo add-on box) or our phones/tablets. I can schedule/watch recording remotely and even watch live anything the Tivo can pick up. Works great. I think we paid about $80 each on sale to extend our Tivo to two additional rooms.

TIVO route, I'd have to start completely over, as none of my TVs are Apple TVs. They make a box to put at the TV end but it isn't compatible with my existing TIVO, I'm one series older. When my largest TV needs replacing I'll get an Apple TV. It's getting old but still working well at the moment. TIVO is old as well, so I might be replacing it soon too. It's a lifetime license. They sometimes run sales where you can roll that over to a new box for $100.

Looks like the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Quattro might be the best option for now. Thanks for the recommendations.

I am looking at replacing our cheap TV antenna to a more powerful one. My question is what is the best way to hook up multiple TVs to the one antenna?

12. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I am looking at replacing our cheap TV antenna to a more powerful one. My question is what is the best way to hook up multiple TVs to the one antenna?
    Do you have existing cable to rooms in your house? If so just connect the antenna to the the cable infrastructure and use them.

This is tricky if you are using the cable lines for internet. In that case a HD Homerun is nice.

13. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Do you have existing cable to rooms in your house? If so just connect the antenna to the the cable infrastructure and use them.

This is tricky if you are using the cable lines for internet. In that case a HD Homerun is nice.
    We tried that route. Problem was, there was way too much cable going to to too many outlets and it degraded the signal too much. So we had to do shorter runs and to the specific outlets we wanted to use. We also bought a signal booster.

Like mkjeeves described, I have trouble with my antenna getting a clear signal from all networks at the same time. I’m always having to move it. Also, the subchannels are a big hit and miss for me. I watch MeTV, Justice, CourtTV, and sometimes get some of the others and sometimes not. It’s really tempting to get that Cox $25 package with local channels. It would almost be worth it just for perfect reception of all networks, and all subchannels. Grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Like mkjeeves described, I have trouble with my antenna getting a clear signal from all networks at the same time. I’m always having to move it. Also, the subchannels are a big hit and miss for me. I watch MeTV, Justice, CourtTV, and sometimes get some of the others and sometimes not. It’s really tempting to get that Cox $25 package with local channels. It would almost be worth it just for perfect reception of all networks, and all subchannels. Grrrr
    There is at least one other option to getting cable, you can install a second or even third antenna pointed at other towers and use a combiner to combine the two signals. My attic antenna goes into a four way splitter right off the antenna. I have no idea how my house is wired from there, and there is other wiring under the house where cable comes in, and a powered splitter there too. '50s house, many modifications over the years. I'm going to replace the splitter in the attic with a powered distribution block and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'll probably put an antenna outside higher up and see what that does.

But, I also have LAN cable drops I installed to several places in the house, including media areas, so I might put a new antenna on the outside of the house, connected straight to the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Quattro I just ordered and use my LAN for signal everywhere, which would bypass all the coax, splitters and stuff. Could also use wifi for other new locations. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I think COX doesn't carry all the subchannels. One of the KSBI 52 subchannels is LAFF (52.4?), and I can't find it on COX. I read where KOCB 34 added a subchannel that is not carried on COX. Even worse for me, COX doesn't carry the low power, Edmond based KBZC 42, which broadcasts both GET-TV and Cozi-TV. Not to mention BUZZR. This has me desperate enough to think about putting an Over The Air antenna in my mother in law's house and then getting a PLEX or HD HomeRun (possibly both in tandem) hardware and account set up, so's I can record my Banacek, Sonny & Cher, etc. and watch it at my home and work (Village and Fairgrounds area).

I'm serious about my "GeezerVision".

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think COX doesn't carry all the subchannels. One of the KSBI 52 subchannels is LAFF (52.4?), and I can't find it on COX. I read where KOCB 34 added a subchannel that is not carried on COX. Even worse for me, COX doesn't carry the low power, Edmond based KBZC 42, which broadcasts both GET-TV and Cozi-TV. Not to mention BUZZR. This has me desperate enough to think about putting an Over The Air antenna in my mother in law's house and then getting a PLEX or HD HomeRun (possibly both in tandem) hardware and account set up, so's I can record my Banacek, Sonny & Cher, etc. and watch it at my home and work (Village and Fairgrounds area). I'm serious about my "GeezerVision".
    Thanks for this! I assumed they carried them all. I see now that’s not the case. Here’s the November 2019 channel listing: https://www.cox.com/wcm/cl/Oklahoma-City-Area.pdf Like you, I love many of the old shows and also enjoy BUZZR for classic game shows. I watch it on PlutoTV. Also, all four seasons of Naked City are available on-demand from Pluto (great old before-its-time crime show).I’m a fan of MeTV’s overnight lineup of Quinn Martin shows. But, I just bought the complete Barnaby Jones and Cannon series on DVD. I also have many of the other classic shows on DVD sets. I rip all my DVDs to high quality mp4 files — so much easier to manage. Buying these sets can be a real option when cutting the cord — program your own station.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    There is at least one other option to getting cable, you can install a second or even third antenna pointed at other towers and use a combiner to combine the two signals. My attic antenna goes into a four way splitter right off the antenna. I have no idea how my house is wired from there, and there is other wiring under the house where cable comes in, and a powered splitter there too. '50s house, many modifications over the years. I'm going to replace the splitter in the attic with a powered distribution block and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'll probably put an antenna outside higher up and see what that does. But, I also have LAN cable drops I installed to several places in the house, including media areas, so I might put a new antenna on the outside of the house, connected straight to the Silicon Dust HD Homerun Quattro I just ordered and use my LAN for signal everywhere, which would bypass all the coax, splitters and stuff. Could also use wifi for other new locations. We'll see how it goes.
    A couple of really good ideas there. Thank you!

Question, at what point do all the streaming services equal a Cox/AT&T service? There’s like 10 different streaming services plus the cost of each device. i. e. Roku, Apple TV, Sling, etc. I haven’t done the research but at some point we will be right back where we started with bundled services but with streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    Question, at what point do all the streaming services equal a Cox/AT&T service? There’s like 10 different streaming services plus the cost of each device. i. e. Roku, Apple TV, Sling, etc. I haven’t done the research but at some point we will be right back where we started with bundled services but with streaming.
    Solid point. I held onto Cox basic for longer than I should have. Price just kept climbing and taxes and fees were easily 40%. Now Netflix keeps raising monthly rate and I am sure to be sucked into Hulu soon so I can watch Sunny in Philadelphia. But even if you pick and choose, you still have to pay someone to give you internet access. And as an aside, rural access to internet in Oklahoma continues to be a real issue.
    For me, the cost of cutting the cord was a wash, but for sports fans I could actually see it being less expensive to just keep cable or satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    Question, at what point do all the streaming services equal a Cox/AT&T service? ThereÂ’s like 10 different streaming services plus the cost of each device. i. e. Roku, Apple TV, Sling, etc. I havenÂ’t done the research but at some point we will be right back where we started with bundled services but with streaming.
    If you use what Cox provides, you might be better off using Cox than buying a bunch of equipment and subscribing to a lot of services. We found there was only one or two shows we cared about in the Cox line up that we could not get over the air. They were not worth what they cost, paying Cox for monthly service. We did not add on Sling, Hulu, etc. Already had Prime and Netflix accounts when we had Cox. Already had a Roku to stream Netflix, Amazon and other services. Already had a TIVO to record and watch shows when we wanted. We have watched a couple of shows we paid by the episode at VUDU or Amazon after cutting the cable. Not much money compared to Cox monthly bill.

^^^ Plus just the simplicity of an all-in-one solution by using Cox. We don't have kids and have a decent amount of disposable income, so Cox is just easier to have it all in one, despite their monopoly (we were looking forward to Google Fiber).

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Solid point. I held onto Cox basic for longer than I should have. Price just kept climbing and taxes and fees were easily 40%. Now Netflix keeps raising monthly rate and I am sure to be sucked into Hulu soon so I can watch Sunny in Philadelphia. But even if you pick and choose, you still have to pay someone to give you internet access. And as an aside, rural access to internet in Oklahoma continues to be a real issue.
    For me, the cost of cutting the cord was a wash, but for sports fans I could actually see it being less expensive to just keep cable or satellite.
    I have planned out a migration to an "end state" of using Cox purely for broadband, plus either YouTube TV or Sling for streaming, and an attic antenna for OTA with a SiliconDust network tuner appliance to distribute the signal anywhere in the house.

There would be an initial outlay expense of equipment (tuner plus antenna, about $150), and time in setup of my own home DVR (but free). But it would reduce my cable bill from right at $200 to just over $100. The Sling subscription would be $40/month, so my net saving would be about $60/month.

That means the setup pays for itself in about three months. I save $540 the first year, and $720 annually thereafter.

Now, in fairness, I might have to adjust the startup cost a bit in that I would likely run the setups in parallel for a month to ensure I am satisfied with the new arrangement. That might increase my startup cost by $60 for the first month.

YouTube TV offers some (but not all) local channels l and cloud DVR, but it's $50/month whereas Sling Orange+Blue is $40...ironically, I've found most of what I would be likely to record is local (OTA)..which I could capture with a Homebrew DVR running on a virtual machine on my network.

Blog Entries

A friend just went to YouTube TV and loves it. Easy interface, DVR, etc. He had tried several other options and so far feels this one is best (for them).

When you say OTA, are you talking about local PBS station OETA? If so, it streams for free. And if you donate $5 a month (tax-free) you get Passport which allows you to stream all the old stuff.
    I'm curious what is on "local" TV that is so appealing to persons? Weather? Honestly, Twitter will update you faster than local news. Traffic? Waze or Google. Old reruns of MASH? I love Frank Burns too, but not enough to watch local commericals.

Thread Information