Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

ive done the 11 dollar package from cox for a on/off for a few years, was always pretty happy with it for the price. they dont mention it on there but you also get some hd channels like food network and a few others although they would sometimes freeze up because of buffer issues.

with the college football season over i called dish and took off the local sports package, i asked what lower packages they had and they mentioned that they just came out with a 14 dollar package that had everything from comedy central, WE, usa, TMC, local channels, and quite a few other noteworthy channels. im going to stick with my 120 package for now, but after the intro goes away i might downgrade to that.

didnt read through the entire thread, only thing i have to say is dont be one of those people who ends up spending 300-400 dollars to build this elaborate system to get around cable, i know a few people who did and the stuff they bought was either blocked or obsolete within a year or so. looking at recent history i almost did that with hulu and came up with a system to have a seamless hook up to my tv and this great antenna to get local channels, 6 months later they are now charging for hulu. 10 bucks for hulu, 12 bucks for netflix, dvr's for 300 something, indoor/outdoor antennas for 70+.......

easier just to pay and have something guaranteed to work for more than a year and the more popular it becomes to sneak around the cable monster the more likely that internet providers are going to start blocking massive data streams for people who dont also have tv service with them.

with all that said and if my wife agreed i could easily go back down to the cox base package or the new dish package. really for under 15 dollars for either of them you get quite a few options and looking back if i wanted to watch tv i could always find something on.

2. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

You can avoid cable for a reasonable rate. We bought $10 antennas at Ross (I know, odd Ross item), EyeTV for our existing computer for $150 and the computer becomes the DVR. We do the cheapest NetFlix and Hulu+ for about $20/month and stream them through either our PS3 or iPad.

LOL CuatrodeMayo

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Oh yea, I forgot about that part. Yet another reason to ditch your cable company, even for internet. I have Clear, but I don't think it is available in OKC yet.
    Do you have the Clear Home + On The Go package? That is what I am looking at and dropping the Time Warner Cable internet. If so, does the Home work well?

Our antenna is an HD one and was only $45, so 4 months worth of the basic cable package. All I need I can get broadcast, or streamed from ESPN or Netflix. We're using our current PC that's 6 years old with no problems. Sometimes ABC gets a little iffy, but that is the only channel we have had problems with.

If cable had an a'la carte option, we'd go for that. There are a few channels I miss, like HGTV, Food Network, and the NHL channel, but it's not worth it to me to spend so much for so few channels.

When will KOCO 5 in OKC get strong enough for everyone to get without complaiint?

I am a Okc Thunder fan.

How would I watch the Thunder play without cable?

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by t3hwookiee View Post
    Our antenna is an HD one and was only $45, so 4 months worth of the basic cable package.
    You do realize that there's no such thing as an HD antenna? Its just a marketing ploy. You can get all of the over the air HD thats available with a simple set of rabbit ears. If the signal is weak where you live, get an amplified antenna.

9. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

I suspect much of the problem for OTA viewers is that all these newfangled not-really-HD antennas are optimized for the UHF band, and KOCO is still on VHF.

Don't have COX but I just got another post card from AT&T stating my Uverse TV package is increasing $5 a month. This is like the 3rd or 4th price increase in the past two years I've had Uverse and I'm fed up with this. I recently downgraded my TV services because it was getting out of control. Might look into digital antenna and watch my shows online a day later.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I am a Okc Thunder fan.

How would I watch the Thunder play without cable?
    www.channelsurfing.net

I watch every game for free. Sometimes the feed leaves something to be desired but you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Do you have the Clear Home + On The Go package? That is what I am looking at and dropping the Time Warner Cable internet. If so, does the Home work well?
    We just have Clear. The On the Go package doesn't seem to be worth it to me. Clear is only available in certain areas so you won't be able to drive down the interstate with it. Also, every place now has free Wi-fi there is no need to even use it around town. Why have on-the-go using a USB adpater when the place you are sitting in has free wi-fi anyhow? If you are on the road that much just use Sprint MiFi.

As for Clear service - we have been pretty happy. When it was 3G it was far better than the DSL we were getting from AT&T. Now that we have 4G it is WAY better. The only problem we have is that the antenna needs to be aimed at the tower. When the switch to 4G happened our tower start over-heating and would shut down. It resulted in a lot of outages (I called and complained and they gave me a free month but I still had to work from a Paners Bread for 3 days). To stop the over-heating they turned down the power on the tower so our service went way down rendering it almost useless to us. However, I found another tower on the other side of house and we get really good reception from it, but it required me to relocate the antenna. The antenna can't get recption through more than about 2 walls and one of those is the wall to your house. I have mine sitting in a second story window on the back of the house. They are also building a new tower just down the street from us we will have maximum coverage then.

We typically get in the 4mbs range on downloads but it will paek to the upper 7mbs speeds at times. When we watch NetFlix throught the PS3 or Wii the movie starts playing almost instantly and it never stops to buffer like it did with DSL. We have run 2 computers on the interent, watched NetFlix, and played PS3 online at the same time and nothing slowed down. I did buy a new 300mbs router to handle the load here at the house. I run the following devices through Clear and never have a problem other than the tower problem mentioned above:

1 PS3
    1 Wii
    1 DirecTV HD DVR
    1 networked printer
    2 PS2
    4 Laptops

13. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

The new Verizon (data-only) plans rolled out the other day. Right now, it's only available for data plans with use with their USB stick (Netflix is an official partner). The reviews have been drooling....the speeds are incredible. Can't be used for phones yet, but the stick for data is providing super speeds. Oklahoma City is one of the roll-out markets.

http://www.slashgear.com/lg-vl600-lt...view-12119033/

Check this one out:
    "Lightning In A Box" A personal review by a journalist at the Las Vegas Review-Journal:
    http://www.lvrj.com/blogs/onlineguy/..._superfast.htm

Official Site: http://www.verizonwireless.com/4Glte

Industry observers expect data rates will fall dramatically over the next year or two. This is a huge leap.

Times are changing....we'll be explaining to our kids and grandkids what "cable" was.

I have the built-in WiMax on my new laptop, one of the reasons why I was looking at Clear, BestBuy had a $100 off the laptop for signing up but that expired yesterday. One thing holding me back was no 3G through them without the USB modem which which they only have the combo 4G/3G USB modem so that would mean disabling my internal 4G modem and the Sony laptops don't have many USB ports (2 USB, 1 USB/eSATA combo). The 3G is a necessity with them since Clear doesn't have 4G service in OKC or Monahans. I know their antenna is located on a water tower within the view of my front yard, I also have a bedroom window facing that direction so I am not that worried about the signal.

I have looked into the new Verizon 4G service but for some reason Austin is not on the initial roll out, San Antonio is. So I may just wait to move the cell service and internet over to them when it is rolled out here, then the service should work here, in OKC (4G) and Monahans (3G). When that happens we will drop AT&T (home telephone and cell) and Time Warner Cable (internet).

15. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    When will KOCO 5 in OKC get strong enough for everyone to get without complaiint?
    Should be now, for quite some time already. They removed the old antenna and installed the new one. We watched the action LIVE thru the LiveWire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    You do realize that there's no such thing as an HD antenna? Its just a marketing ploy. You can get all of the over the air HD thats available with a simple set of rabbit ears. If the signal is weak where you live, get an amplified antenna.
    Yes I do realize that. I also know that this was the only antenna we tried that actually picked up more than 2 channels. Good ol' rabbit ears gave us barely anything. I cared less about the "HD" part of the antenna that works, and more that is was amplified. Should have been more careful with my wording, but I'm lazy and there are 7 fewer letters in HD.

Anyone know of any bars or restaurants in OKC with the NFL Sunday Ticket package? I knew louies on campus corner in norman had it but was curious what places in OKC carry it?

18. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Anyone know of any bars or restaurants in OKC with the NFL Sunday Ticket package? I knew louies on campus corner in norman had it but was curious what places in OKC carry it?
    I'm not positive - but call Republic at Classen Curve.

What about Brix?

Yeah thanks, we ended up at Brix and it worked out fine. I won't mention their food in this thread...

Lord Helmet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Pretty sure that Buffalo Wild Wings has it

Long story short i ended up picking up an antenna for our guest room tv; im not going to pay 5 bucks a month to dish for another box for a room that is rarely used. It works great, im actually really impressed with the great picture and large amount of channels considering it cost 9 dollars and is extremely small.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Slim-P...tenna/14554619

for some reason it says outdoor but the box and the description both say indoor, i have it hidden (well more like just hanging there) between the back of the dresser and the wall and it works great.

Got a roku for Christmas, it's worth pulling the cord if you get a Netflix and Huluplus subscription for less than $20 month total

24. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Got a roku for Christmas, it's worth pulling the cord if you get a Netflix and Huluplus subscription for less than $20 month total
    We love RadioTime, too; complete with pre-sets. Have you checked out RadioTime on the Roku? Also, don't forget about Roku "private channels." You won't find them in the Channel Store, you need a code. YouTube, for example, is currently a private channel.

25. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

ESPN 3 is not on tv, it's on your computer.

Thread Information