Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Which cable tv package and Internet speed did you go with?

We currently (changes slightly every year unfortunately), have their basic TV package and 150mb Internet for just less than $100.

We don't use their DVR - got an excellent deal on a refurbished TIVO on a Black Friday a few years ago. I think that saves maybe $10/month.

We started using Magic Jack for our home phone several years ago too. It's only about $30/yr. and has never failed us.

Just some additional consideration for those looking to lower their bill.
    Looks like we have two Contour receivers and pay $12 for DVR which we should have killed off since we don’t use it. They basically price in the home phone for free with the bundle savings of $20 and we have internet preferred at 50 mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Really?.. when I looked at the site and it had me put in my Zip to see what channels I could get it said Foxsports SW no OK.. are you with blue or orange tier?
    I have sling blue only -@ $25/month - did a promo i on google where i got a free roku i haven't used yet for prepaying 2 months. I'll cancel once NBA season is over and do it again next year as we watch everything else on Kodi/OTA/netfix or amazon

3. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

We just switched to ATT fiber for our internet. I checked and am currently getting 120mps. The cost is 60.00 per month. I have had dish network for 10 years. Pay around 80.00 for 200+ channels and hbo.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    We just switched to ATT fiber for our internet. I checked and am currently getting 120mps. The cost is 60.00 per month. I have had dish network for 10 years. Pay around 80.00 for 200+ channels and hbo.
    You have AT&T Fiber in the OKC metro area? The 60.00 per month charge is that for internet only and does that include all the fees and taxes etc? I currently pay 59.99 per month for Cox internet only at 150 mps speed.

I wish I could get AT&T at my house.

As it is, I have to have Cox for internet and for cable it's not much more, so not much reason to cut cable completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

As it is, I have to have Cox for internet and for cable it's not much more, so not much reason to cut cable completely.
    Same. My apartment building is specifically wired for Cox. Definitely need the internet, and after looking through all of the possible options of streaming it came out to essentially the same price to just get cable through them instead of subscribing to several different streaming services.

Sucks how they have us hostage. I literally only watch a few channels and definitely want Thunder games. I couldn't care less about the rest. I have to buy a bunch of extra stuff just to get that. I really wish A La Carte was available in the cable realm. If I could just subscribe to a few specific channels and stream the rest I would.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Same. My apartment building is specifically wired for Cox. Definitely need the internet, and after looking through all of the possible options of streaming it came out to essentially the same price to just get cable through them instead of subscribing to several different streaming services.

Sucks how they have us hostage. I literally only watch a few channels and definitely want Thunder games. I couldn't care less about the rest. I have to buy a bunch of extra stuff just to get that. I really wish A La Carte was available in the cable realm. If I could just subscribe to a few specific channels and stream the rest I would.
    The ironic thing is that if the cable companies did al a carte channels, they wouldn't be losing business to cord cutters!

I think some less favored channels are basically paid for by other channels when bundled together, which is why we have had no choice but to buy packages.

I live in DFW and use Playstation Vue as my TV provider (unlimited cloud DVR, added HBO) and have a one-step-up from basic internet through ATT and my bill for TV/internet is less than $100.

Is PS Vue available in the OKC market yet?

10. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    I live in DFW and use Playstation Vue as my TV provider (unlimited cloud DVR, added HBO) and have a one-step-up from basic internet through ATT and my bill for TV/internet is less than $100.

Is PS Vue available in the OKC market yet?
    Yep and it works great. No local channels in this market but on demand and an antenna solve that issue.

Channel 9 is local via PS Vue.

12. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Channel 9 is local via PS Vue.
    Ah nice! It must have changed since I did the beta.

Yeah, I don’t remember when it switched. I just noticed one day that instead of “on-demand” it had the News 9 logo. I like having at least one local station for severe weather available, so it was a welcome change.

I got the new Cox bill today and it went from $59.99 to $63.99

15. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Okay, so I've finally completely cut the cord and have only OTA local channels and U-verse internet (24MB service is the best I can get in my area). I'm using Hulu and Netflix. I'm considering Sling, but I'm not seeing an immediate need at this time. It's been two weeks and the only thing I miss is the DVR for the few local channels I watch live. Does anyone use a Tivo or similar and have any recommendations?

Cut the Cox cable TV cord a few months ago but kept the Cox internet cord - already had Netflix & Amazon Prime - for additional offerings, we went with YoutubeTV and Sling (Orange + Blue) and haven't looked back

Have to say, really impressed with YoutubeTV - glad it's here in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Okay, so I've finally completely cut the cord and have only OTA local channels and U-verse internet (24MB service is the best I can get in my area). I'm using Hulu and Netflix. I'm considering Sling, but I'm not seeing an immediate need at this time. It's been two weeks and the only thing I miss is the DVR for the few local channels I watch live. Does anyone use a Tivo or similar and have any recommendations?
    Check out the Tablo DVR. A little more cost upfront, but the monthly fee (if you choose to get guide date) is a fraction of the Tivo cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Cut the Cox cable TV cord a few months ago but kept the Cox internet cord - already had Netflix & Amazon Prime - for additional offerings, we went with YoutubeTV and Sling (Orange + Blue) and haven't looked back

Have to say, really impressed with YoutubeTV - glad it's here in OKC
    I'd like to try YouTube TV, but it's not available yet on FireTV, so I'll keep PSVue for now.

19. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

In the same boat at Pete. It’s frustrating to see it’s “here” in okc but still not available where I live across the Oklahoma River.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I have to wonder about the truth regarding AT&T fibre. It seems their website is ambiguous at best. For instance, Entering Del City, you get a questionable result and then it asks for your zip code. So, you enter a Del City zip code and get an ad for "You deserve super fast internet" and a [Check Availability] icon below. Clicking that, it asks for your address, which finally returns, "We're sorry that AT&T Fiber isn't available, but you can get other AT&T services:" Big suprise. I know I have not seen any copper replacement going on.

But with regards to cord cutting and a digital antenna, I discover that the affiliated sub channels are nothing but an endless morass of religious and home shopping channels. We were better off when channels 25, 34 and 42 were true independents. At least there was a conscious person at the helm doing the programming. Granted, there are the 3 old tier entertainment, (Antenna TV, METV etc.) but even those get really old really fast.

Never thought I would miss Ted Baze and his likes. . .

Not to continue to harp on the advantages of PS Vue...but you don't actually NEED a Playstation console to use PS Vue. It can be accessed through mobile devices, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, etc...

Cox buried fiber in my yard quite a while ago, any idea when they plan to make it available?

23. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

For those interested PCPer is doing a multi-part series about cutting the cord including services, equipment, etc, The first part is here: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editor...es-and-Content

24. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

As luck would have it..... over the weekend my TV started displaying the dreaded "Your COX Cable Tuning Adapter Card Cannot Be Accessed."

This is about a twice a year thing for me and my TIVO. COX swaps it out for free, but it's a pain. I noticed my previous tuning adapter card was dated 2009. The replacement isn't much newer at 2010.

25. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

UPDATE: Got home with my new tuning adapter card from COX. Installed it and 10 minutes later I get the message again that the tuning adapter cannot communicate with COX. Called COX. Guess what? They said it's an issue they've been having for several days and has nothing to do with my card - it's a COX issue and they have no idea when they will get it fixed! Their response; "Whenever we finally get it fixed on our end, we will credit you the days you didn't have cable TV."

Totally ridiculous.

Thread Information