Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by shadfar View Post
    oh man, heads would role if people can't watch OU on Saturday night..
    Looks like they came to an agreement KOCO should be back on cox.... pretty quick compared to other times this has happened with other carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by shadfar View Post
    oh man, heads would role if people can't watch OU on Saturday night..
    Roll, but yeah...

Would love to know who caved first.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Roll, but yeah...
    Thanks, totally missed that

Does anyone have experience with directv now streaming service? I have read that it has been difficult for subscribers to view their regional sports networks like Fox sports southwest and Fox sports Oklahoma. Shouldn’t you still be able to log into the Fox sports app/Espn app to watch the sports games if you have ATT or Cox internet?

Has anyone used the Cox "Contour App"? It's supposed to provide some live TV and comes free with certain services. I'm not entirely sure what it is because I still can't figure out what the heck Contour is.

I spent an hour on the phone with Cox retention today trying to get my bill down but their tactics are just downright evil. I swear they used to have tv and internet services that were very "middle of the road" but now everything they offer is either all or none. It's absurd that they have a basic TV package that costs around $50/mo and is mostly just channels you could get free OTA. And their starter internet is laughable. But hey you could pay them $175/mo and get 200+ channels and gigabit internet!

Anyway the rep tried to tell me that I could get rid of my current tv package and pay for the tv app thing to keep my grandfathered internet price.

I'd leave them but my only other option is some crappy ATT dsl with 25/5 speeds.

Hooray for cable monopolies..

Contour is their name for their really bad DVR. One imagines their app is of the same quality.

8. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    Has anyone used the Cox "Contour App"? It's supposed to provide some live TV and comes free with certain services. I'm not entirely sure what it is because I still can't figure out what the heck Contour is.

I spent an hour on the phone with Cox retention today trying to get my bill down but their tactics are just downright evil. I swear they used to have tv and internet services that were very "middle of the road" but now everything they offer is either all or none. It's absurd that they have a basic TV package that costs around $50/mo and is mostly just channels you could get free OTA. And their starter internet is laughable. But hey you could pay them $175/mo and get 200+ channels and gigabit internet!

Anyway the rep tried to tell me that I could get rid of my current tv package and pay for the tv app thing to keep my grandfathered internet price.

I'd leave them but my only other option is some crappy ATT dsl with 25/5 speeds.

Hooray for cable monopolies..
    They also raised prices for people with internet only last month. I called and they lowered it by 10 bucks a month. Just awful.

I had completely dropped Cable and only had internet through them.. then they sent me offers and I now have the high end internet and basic cable for 80 bucks.. every year it drops off and I call back and they put it back. I thought the other day that having Fox SPorts OK would be good again to watch all the Thunder games at home. I usually catch them at bars or with friends or I go to the games.. To go to that tier It would increase my bill from 80.00 a month to 135.00. NOPE! I considered SLing but it gives you FoxSportsSW not OK

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Contour is their name for their really bad DVR. One imagines their app is of the same quality.
    Just curious, what's really bad about the DVR? I have had Dish DVR and currently have Contour DVR and other than a couple of minor differences I'm perfectly happy with the way the Cox DVR performs.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Just curious, what's really bad about the DVR? I have had Dish DVR and currently have Contour DVR and other than a couple of minor differences I'm perfectly happy with the way the Cox DVR performs.
    C. T.
    Their DVR aint that bad, their cost per channel is pretty high but Cox has a better internet connection plan than uverse so they win for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    They also raised prices for people with internet only last month. I called and they lowered it by 10 bucks a month. Just awful.
    What do you say to get the 10 bucks off? $80 for internet is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I had completely dropped Cable and only had internet through them.. then they sent me offers and I now have the high end internet and basic cable for 80 bucks.. every year it drops off and I call back and they put it back. I thought the other day that having Fox SPorts OK would be good again to watch all the Thunder games at home. I usually catch them at bars or with friends or I go to the games.. To go to that tier It would increase my bill from 80.00 a month to 135.00. NOPE! I considered SLing but it gives you FoxSportsSW not OK
    I get thunder games on sling, you get foxsportsok on the alternate channel if you have an okc billing address

Doesn't the blue package offer one, and the orange package offers the other?

"Maybe" Cox has fixed the software on the Contour, but last I knew (admittedly this is hearsay as I don't even have Cox for video, and if I did I would be using my TiVos) one of the most common complaints was recordings randomly deleting themselves (or not being recorded in the first place), random freezes/slow performance, and Cox's typical line is that it should be rebooted every couple of days, otherwise you are going to have problems. Which is ironic, considering random reboots is ALSO on the list.

On top of that, Cox OKC is a Cisco environment. You want some fun reading, Google that (and some of the info is on their very own forums!). Their own techs will tell you how messed up the Cisco stuff is.

16. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    What do you say to get the 10 bucks off? $80 for internet is just stupid.
    I said bump me down a tier or give me 10 bucks off.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    I get thunder games on sling, you get foxsportsok on the alternate channel if you have an okc billing address
    Really?.. when I looked at the site and it had me put in my Zip to see what channels I could get it said Foxsports SW no OK.. are you with blue or orange tier?

Neighbor of mine has Sling and gets the Thunder games. Think he had to upgrade to Blue though.

Cox contract was up yesterday. Wife called and got our total for internet, phone and cable down to $173. We were considering switching to Sling Blue but our internet would run almost $100 with taxes so it didn’t make much sense to cut the cord this time.

20. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Cox contract was up yesterday. Wife called and got our total for internet, phone and cable down to $173. We were considering switching to Sling Blue but our internet would run almost $100 with taxes so it didn’t make much sense to cut the cord this time.
    Which cable tv package and Internet speed did you go with?

We currently (changes slightly every year unfortunately), have their basic TV package and 150mb Internet for just less than $100.

We don't use their DVR - got an excellent deal on a refurbished TIVO on a Black Friday a few years ago. I think that saves maybe $10/month.

We started using Magic Jack for our home phone several years ago too. It's only about $30/yr. and has never failed us.

Just some additional consideration for those looking to lower their bill.

Are you using a tuning adapter with the TiVo? If so, which one did they give you, and what firmware is it using? If not...you're doing what I suspect is possible, but nobody at Cox can/will confirm, the basic TV package is not using SDV and no tuning adapter is even needed. Are there any channels that are listed as being part of your package that you do not get?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Which cable tv package and Internet speed did you go with?

We currently (changes slightly every year unfortunately), have their basic TV package and 150mb Internet for just less than $100.

We don't use their DVR - got an excellent deal on a refurbished TIVO on a Black Friday a few years ago. I think that saves maybe $10/month.

We started using Magic Jack for our home phone several years ago too. It's only about $30/yr. and has never failed us.

Just some additional consideration for those looking to lower their bill.
    Thanks for this info because my contract just expired and now I need to negotiate the best deal for the least amount of service possible.

I also have TiVo and don't need a home phone.

23. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Are you using a tuning adapter with the TiVo? If so, which one did they give you, and what firmware is it using? If not...you're doing what I suspect is possible, but nobody at Cox can/will confirm, the basic TV package is not using SDV and no tuning adapter is even needed. Are there any channels that are listed as being part of your package that you do not get?
    Yes, our TIVO requires Cox's tuning adapter. Honestly I have no idea anything about it. I do know we've had to take the card out twice now and exchange it for a new one at one of the Cox shops.

We seem to get all the channels listed for the basic package. We also pay the $2/month for a mini box in the Master bedroom. Though I'm not sure why we do this. We have those mini TIVO boxes that will receive anything the main TV can watch or has recorded (so, I'd assume we could forego the Cox mini box). Actually, our mini box doesn't get as many channels as the main TV does.

If the cost for Cox gets any higher then I'm going to put an OTA antenna in the attic and simply go with that. Between OTA and Netflix, that's all we ever watch anyway. But we MUST have a DVR - which is why I'll always keep the TIVO.

Sometimes in the winter we use our Apple TV to subscribe to HBO and/or Showtime and we binge watch our favorite series's and then cancel after a couple of months until the next winter.

*We also do not pay for the in-hime service coverage (or whatever they call it). I was advised by them a long time ago to simply wait until I needed a chargeable repair and then sign up for the monthly coverage. Never needed it so far and we've lived here for 5 years (figure in that time we've saved over $300.

24. Default Re: Cutting the COX Cable cord.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks for this info because my contract just expired and now I need to negotiate the best deal for the least amount of service possible.

I also have TiVo and don't need a home phone.
    Yeah, we have no need for a home phone. But, I like it in case cell service is down. It also gives a "home phone number" to give out when companies insist on one and I don't want my cell phone number to get into some database they sell to other people.

I've also learned that once you get a negotiated lower rate, you can call back a few weeks later and lower it even more. They tried to jump us from $85 to $125. I got it lowered to $112 the first time and then down to about $92 the second.

Each agent has their own budget and can lower your rate as much as they want. But, they get kudos for spending as little of that budget per subscriber as they can.

I've pondered the roof solution, or maybe an outside antenna. One of my TiVos is OTA and I have a small indoor antenna, which absolutely refuses to see any of the OETA channels, and the others are iffy. I don't know yet if i will go that way, or try the absolute basic channels with Cox. The reason I dropped them in the first place is their tuning adapter dropped channels every two weeks. After researching the problem, i discovered a firmware update would fix it. At this point I was working with the "executive team" who flatly told me they were aware of the fix, they just didn't think the problem was important enough to bother fixing.

For phone I had MJ for awhile, then their horrible customer service raised its ugly head. Long story there, but the punchline is I got an Ooma and have never been happier.

Thread Information