Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 124 12345651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Far North Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

address=100 W. Reno Ave.
    cost=$87,800,000 originally, current renovations total $105,000,000
    architect=Benham Companies
    start=Spring 1999
    finish=Summer 2002
    contractor=Flintco
    sq. feet=586,000 sf

Description

Enter description here.
    Latest News

Enter latest news here.
    Milestones

Links

Gallery

[category=]Civic Buildings[/category]
    Last edited by Pete; 07-22-2011 at 09:23 AM.

2. Default Re: Ford Center renovations. Phase 3.

No, they said they would do that AFTER the season was over because it would cause that whole side to be closed down.

Default Re: Ford Center renovations. Phase 3.

what do your visions tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    what do your visions tell you?
    Nothing... I guess that means they cancelled it, huh?

No it actually probably certifies that it's still on, y' know..

The new Thunder Shop opened up today inside the OKC Arena this morning, which is part of the renovations. Not sure if the new Iron Starr is going in the space where the old Thunder Shop was? tuck?

The old shop will be a Thunder pro shop where u can personalize ur own jersey and what not

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The new Thunder Shop opened up today inside the OKC Arena this morning, which is part of the renovations. Not sure if the new Iron Starr is going in the space where the old Thunder Shop was? tuck?
    We will be in the new main entrance on the SW side...near Jack Daniels place, which will go away.

Iron Starr? If it is the same place that was near the Gazette, it was one of the worst "BBQ" places...shocked they are still in business

Seriously Larry? I love Iron Star. It's not traditional barbecue, to be sure, but I think the food is delicious.

Iron Star is going in? AWESOME! Great local restaurant!

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Seriously Larry? I love Iron Star. It's not traditional barbecue, to be sure, but I think the food is delicious.
    Seriously. The food was horrible. From the meats to the sides (worst mac & cheese I have ever had) But to each their own.

I am definitely "old school" when it comes to things like BBQ and ethnic places. If you are going to call yourself a BBQ joint, it needs to be along the traditional lines. If you are Mexican (or TexMex) the food and decor needs to be along those lines. Italian, Indian, German etc etc. Don't make the mistake Taco Bueno did a few years ago (when owned by Carl's Jr) and the decidedly non-mexican building exteriors and generic hospital cafeteria interiors. Doesn't fit.

Not that the new Bueno re-built just north of 63rd & May is much better. They are trying a casual concept with same food but sit down table service. That part is fine but the building is a hodge podge of styles. There are some Mexican/SW elements but part of the building looks like it was a Red Lobster/Long John Silvers and the towers are transplanted ones from IHOP. They don't know what they want to be. Haven't seen the inside yet so can't comment there.

Similar to some of the combo places where Taco Bell/Long Johns/KFC/A&W share space in the same building and they incorporate elements from each chain in the exterior. Its confused.

Somehow Iron Starr (or a concept like it) is what I fear will be put into the "upscale" Myriad Garden place.

Interesting Larry, I've never given chain fast food so much thought with the architecture and decor.

I can see why you don't like Iron Starr.

btw, I love Iron Starr, may eat there today. Miss the COOP happy hour, wish they would bring that back.

Where can I find more info on the Ford Center interior renovations?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    I am definitely "old school" when it comes to things like BBQ and ethnic places. If you are going to call yourself a BBQ joint, it needs to be along the traditional lines. If you are Mexican (or TexMex) the food and decor needs to be along those lines. Italian, Indian, German etc etc. Don't make the mistake Taco Bueno did a few years ago (when owned by Carl's Jr) and the decidedly non-mexican building exteriors and generic hospital cafeteria interiors. Doesn't fit.

Not that the new Bueno re-built just north of 63rd & May is much better. They are trying a casual concept with same food but sit down table service. That part is fine but the building is a hodge podge of styles. There are some Mexican/SW elements but part of the building looks like it was a Red Lobster/Long John Silvers and the towers are transplanted ones from IHOP. They don't know what they want to be. Haven't seen the inside yet so can't comment there.

Similar to some of the combo places where Taco Bell/Long Johns/KFC/A&W share space in the same building and they incorporate elements from each chain in the exterior. Its confused.

Somehow Iron Starr (or a concept like it) is what I fear will be put into the "upscale" Myriad Garden place.
    Larry...sorry you're not a fan. I must correct you on 2 points: 1) We never called ourselves a BBQ Joint. 2) You're way off on the Myriad Garden restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by megax11 View Post
    Nothing... I guess that means they cancelled it, huh?
    I know they didn't cancel it. My Devon pic was courtesy of the new smoking area this year--outside. There used to be an interior room on the SW side of the arena that is now unavailable because that whole facade will be renovated.

I love Iron Starr. That's all.

All I have to say is really Larry.????????

18. Default Re: Ford Center renovations. Phase 3.

I think having Iron Starr going in the arena symbolizes much more than a restaurant in an arena. It symbolizes the Good Egg Group, and the Starr, as something that is wholly and completely Oklahoma City. Something unique to HERE. Not prefab BS menus like at every concession stand in the arena from Ben E. Keith or Sygma. But a sit-down place with excellent food, service, concept, OKC born and raised in our OKC Arena with our Thunder. It says: we have original, exceptional, unique concepts that wonderfully complement our big new arena with our new team. It's our collective cultural voice. We're HERE.

OKC ever since I was born and can remember (1980) has been, largely, an inelegant city with big box retailers, chain restaurants HQed God-knows-where, and strip malls. Local gems have always been undersung, except for maybe local tex mex. Everyone shopped at Walmart. The fam goes to Chilis on a Friday night. Our dollars go out of state while our civic pride stagnated. No local culinary culture. NOW look at us. Ludivine. Table One. Iguana. West. Each and every GEG establishment. Picasso's on Paseo. We got something going on here! And it's something that is not just internally pleasing to OKC, but something we can outwardly boast! I love taking out-of-towners to Cheever's or RePUBlic. I love watching their opinion of OKC be redefined.

I think it's a huge huge deal that it's going in...the kind of thing where an out-of-towner walking through the arena for a Thunder game or concert would be like, "What the hell is an 'Iron Starr'?" And an OKCian could proudly say, "You don't know? I gotta show ya." Wander in, have a seat, drink a Native Amber and enjoy some IS UrbBBQ pulled pork and sides while the Thunder put away yet another "big market" team.

I can't wait.

Totally agree with Mallen. And another big reason why this is good is because concessions at the OKC Arena has severly lacked so far. So has the bar options. Bringing in an Iron Starr and having a new bar (that Jack Daniels bar is pathetic) will bring the arenas entertainment offerings to a whole new level. Really looking forward to the completion of Phase 3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Seriously. The food was horrible. From the meats to the sides (worst mac & cheese I have ever had) But to each their own.

Iron Starr is very good and is highly thought of by most people. Sorry you have a mad on for them. Maybe it is too clean or something.

Why not make half the concessions local? Then there could be a variety of options with the generic stuff too. Maybe Iguana, Ted's, Hideaway, Sushi Neko... I know they'd have to have limited options, but it still seems like it would be good exposure and profitable...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    I think having Iron Starr going in the arena symbolizes much more than a restaurant in an arena. It symbolizes the Good Egg Group, and the Starr, as something that is wholly and completely Oklahoma City. Something unique to HERE. Not prefab BS menus like at every concession stand in the arena from Ben E. Keith or Sygma. But a sit-down place with excellent food, service, concept, OKC born and raised in our OKC Arena with our Thunder. It says: we have original, exceptional, unique concepts that wonderfully complement our big new arena with our new team. It's our collective cultural voice. We're HERE.

OKC ever since I was born and can remember (1980) has been, largely, an inelegant city with big box retailers, chain restaurants HQed God-knows-where, and strip malls. Local gems have always been undersung, except for maybe local tex mex. Everyone shopped at Walmart. The fam goes to Chilis on a Friday night. Our dollars go out of state while our civic pride stagnated. No local culinary culture. NOW look at us. Ludivine. Table One. Iguana. West. Each and every GEG establishment. Picasso's on Paseo. We got something going on here! And it's something that is not just internally pleasing to OKC, but something we can outwardly boast! I love taking out-of-towners to Cheever's or RePUBlic. I love watching their opinion of OKC be redefined.

I think it's a huge huge deal that it's going in...the kind of thing where an out-of-towner walking through the arena for a Thunder game or concert would be like, "What the hell is an 'Iron Starr'?" And an OKCian could proudly say, "You don't know? I gotta show ya." Wander in, have a seat, drink a Native Amber and enjoy some IS UrbBBQ pulled pork and sides while the Thunder put away yet another "big market" team.

I can't wait.
    Thank You Very Much!!

Local food at the ford center is a very very good thing. The concession choices are terrible at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Iron Starr is very good and is highly thought of by most people. Sorry you have a mad on for them. Maybe it is too clean or something.
    If you are a fan, great. Like I said, to each their own.

I agree the food choices are very lacking. I know that was one of the things they touted when the second round of renovations were completed, I see very little change in choices or quality. The BOK Center in Tulsa offers five different local options, anything from pizza to sushi.

Thread Information