Widgets Magazine
Page 101 of 126 FirstFirst ... 5196979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 3141

Thread: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    It is used about 100 nights a year. Can't force concerts or events to come here. OKC has a guaranteed 41 dates a year, with 18,000 people each night. Guaranteed. But, OKC can't force concert promoters to bring a concert here. So it is used as the market allows. The acoustics being garbage in there don't help OKC's case for more big-name concerts. Notice no rock or metal shows come in (not everyone's cup of team, but more inclined to go to arenas with good acoustics).
    Acoustics, thank you chssooner, one of the many reasons why you want to consider replacing Paycom Center. Are the big concerts skipping over OKC for better concert equipped arenas like AA Dallas, Dixies Forth Worth and BOK Tulsa.

Investing more money into Paycom... These are major concerns about building a new arena going forward; can't have fan friendly amenities if the concert experience is spoiled by bad acoustics.

When it's all said and done, Paycom may be ripe for a 'AA' or 'AAA' ice hockey franchise and rodeos. A 'pause' on MAPS 4 funds targeting Paycom are justified by Mayor Holt and the City Council.

Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

There's will be privately-funded. Kinda nice to have developers in your ownership group, not just oil and gas people used to government handouts.

Doesn't change that OKC needs a new arena, but still kinda sucks.
    1) it’s not just oil and gas people in the group, in fact most of them are not.
    2) What kind of government hand outs do you think we get?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Intangibles aren't numbers, and if we're going to invest a billion dollars I want actual RoI, not warm fuzzy feelings. We can't even get local "splash" judging by the tepid attendance numbers, let alone international splash.
    That is just a stupid take from someone who is completely against doing the same thing every other city has to keep their team. What was OKC known for before the Thunder? If you don’t think the positive publicity is a massive net positive for the city, you’re just blinded by your own bias.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    That is just a stupid take from someone who is completely against doing the same thing every other city has to keep their team. What was OKC known for before the Thunder? If you don’t think the positive publicity is a massive net positive for the city, you’re just blinded by your own bias.
    C’mon Clay, knock it off - he’s going to think we have two accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    If the Thunder *is* a massive net positive worth a billion dollars, then show me the data to back such a statement up. That’s all I’m asking for here.

Edit: \/\/\/ I'm not calling anyone a liar, or stupid. I am merely asking what data they're using when they say that there's been a significant impact. If you say there are scads of studies on this about the Thunder, can you post them?

If the Thunder *is* a massive net positive worth a billion dollars, then show me the data to back such a statement up. That’s all I’m asking for here.
    So, you wanna play the "link or you're a liar" game? I think everyone knows there are scads of studies and position papers arguing both sides of the issue. I would suggest the popularity of these arenas suggest that their forces have put together a better and more compelling argument on a regular basis. And I don't believe it is because "people are stupid".

Blog Entries

Cleveland, OH
    NBA Basketball capacity: 19,432
    60 reimagined suites
    Ice hockey: 9,447 (expandable to 18,926)
    Construction: Broke ground April 27, 1992
    Opened October 17, 1994 Construction cost $100 million
    Renovation: 2019 - $185 million
    Total investment '22 dollars $385 million = $205/$185 million + $183/$100 million

Oklahoma City new arena

Using Cleveland's RM arena blueprint.
    OKC should expect to pay:
    $400 - $425 million (City-owned land)
    18,900 - 19,100 seating capacity
    60 - 65 luxury suites - 16-20 seats per suit
    800,000 square footage

It is used about 100 nights a year. Can't force concerts or events to come here. OKC has a guaranteed 41 dates a year, with 18,000 people each night. Guaranteed. But, OKC can't force concert promoters to bring a concert here. So it is used as the market allows. The acoustics being garbage in there don't help OKC's case for more big-name concerts. Notice no rock or metal shows come in (not everyone's cup of team, but more inclined to go to arenas with good acoustics).
    upcoming:
    Judas Priest / Queensryche 11/20
    Greta Van Fleet 11/04
    Pearl Jam (multiple times) 09/20
    My Chemical Romance 08/20

Some past ones off the top of my head:
    Guns N Roses
    Bob Segar
    Tom Petty
    Foo FIghters
    Motley Crue
    Hinder
    Kid Rock
    Bon Jovi
    Disturbed
    All American Rejects
    Aerosmith
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Tool

If they can fill an arena, most bands aren't going to dodge a venue based on its acoustics. With in ear monitoring and advances in front of house processing, the bands will never know if the sound out front sucks. For all shows of that size and bigger, where you sit makes a huge difference. Nothing can control a room of that size and get direct sound to every seat. I've never seen an arena show that sounded good above the 100s and even down low can be spotty. And walk around any venue bigger than a club and where you are standing makes a huge difference. The best sounding arena show I have ever been to was at Paycom, actually. The Stevie Wonder show had like 30 people on stage with dozens of open mics and it sounded like a theater from the 15th row. But again, at that distance, you're hearing the sound first from the arrays. The father away you get, you're hearing some reflections first.

All that being said, a new arena should definitely care about acoustics. It's just that, with good equipment and some time, a good engineer can take the room out of the equation for a lot of the audience, but can never do it for all of the audience especially in any room the size of your typical arena bowl. I have heard good shows and bad shows at Paycom. Just depended on my seats and the engineer,

9. Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    upcoming:
    Judas Priest / Queensryche 11/20
    Greta Van Fleet 11/04
    Pearl Jam (multiple times) 09/20
    My Chemical Romance 08/20

Some past ones off the top of my head:
    Guns N Roses
    Bob Segar
    Tom Petty
    Foo FIghters
    Motley Crue
    Hinder
    Kid Rock
    Bon Jovi
    Disturbed
    All American Rejects
    Aerosmith
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Tool

If they can fill an arena, most bands aren't going to dodge a venue based on its acoustics. With in ear monitoring and advances in front of house processing, the bands will never know if the sound out front sucks. For all shows of that size and bigger, where you sit makes a huge difference. Nothing can control a room of that size and get direct sound to every seat. I've never seen an arena show that sounded good above the 100s and even down low can be spotty. And walk around any venue bigger than a club and where you are standing makes a huge difference. The best sounding arena show I have ever been to was at Paycom, actually. The Stevie Wonder show had like 30 people on stage with dozens of open mics and it sounded like a theater from the 15th row. But again, at that distance, you're hearing the sound first from the arrays. The father away you get, you're hearing some reflections first.

All that being said, a new arena should definitely care about acoustics. It's just that, with good equipment and some time, a good engineer can take the room out of the equation for a lot of the audience, but can never do it for all of the audience especially in any room the size of your typical arena bowl. I have heard good shows and bad shows at Paycom. Just depended on my seats and the engineer,
    Your past list is easily many times longer than that. Lots of older bands, county and Christian pop/rock bands have played there over the years. I would bet the wife and I have been to at least twice the number of concerts listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Your past list is easily many times longer than that. Lots of older bands, county and Christian pop/rock bands have played there over the years. I would bet the wife and I have been to at least twice the number of concerts listed.
    Yeah, especially if you include those genres and go back to the Ford Center days (some of those may have been from that era) and it def sounded worse back then, both the room and technology that was used.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    ...The best sounding arena show I have ever been to was at Paycom, actually. The Stevie Wonder show had like 30 people on stage with dozens of open mics and it sounded like a theater from the 15th row. But again, at that distance, you're hearing the sound first from the arrays. The father away you get, you're hearing some reflections first....
    We were one level up from the floor for Stevie, can't remember which row and too lazy to get my ticket stubs out, and I was impressed with how it sounded (and I've been to hundreds of shows in dozens of all different sized spaces all over the country, so I know how things should sound).

I know we saw The Rolling Stones; Kiss; and Shania Twain

Blog Entries

July 2, 2008, NBA - Oklahoma City
    Appreciation Month

The Professional Basketball Club, LLC
    The PBC owns NBA Oklahoma City Thunder & NBADL Oklahoma City Blue.

Clayton I. Bennett, Chairman, - George Kaizer, BOK Financial

G. Jeffrey Records, Jr., MidFirst Bank - William M. Cameron, American Fidelity Assurance Company

Robert E. Howard II, Howard Investments - Jay Scaramucci, Balon Corporation

Everett R. Dobson, Dobson Partnerships

July 14, 1959 - March 2, 2016

Thank you, for bringing the NBA to OKC

Blog Entries

LOL what? What on earth makes you think this ownership group won’t be back in another 30 years demanding a new stadium?
    Then you build an icon, a building with architectural value. Something that would make it very hard to tear down and replace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Then you build an icon, a building with architectural value. Something that would make it very hard to tear down and replace.
    Agree, Swake...

Andplusalso, 30 years for arenas is about right, nowadays.

17. Default Re: Paycom Center (formerly Chesapeake Arena)

The BOK has an interesting facade and all, but it's basically the Ford/Peak/Pay on more like the original scale (before the additions). They didn't create some innovative new design. They, like OKC, used a standard bowl and entrance concept. I'm not downing it or anything because I do think they gave themselves a nice facility. But is it one that someone is going to come back in 40 years and not want to tear down for the next thing? No, i dont think that will be the case. It's not something historic, it's pretty cookie cutter market entry.

There are some far more interesting ones in the NBA right now. The Fiserv/State Farm/Rocket Mortage/AA(Miami). But even these are just arneas that will get dozed at some point. Madison Square Garden is one of the few examples of something that's got real sticking power, but because of its history. Nothing anyone else is building (or has in the last 30 years) is in that category.

Attachment 17583

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    The BOK has an interesting facade and all, but it's basically the Ford/Peak/Pay on more like the original scale (before the additions). They didn't create some innovative new design. They, like OKC, used a standard bowl and entrance concept. I'm not downing it or anything because I do think they gave themselves a nice facility. But is it one that someone is going to come back in 40 years and not want to tear down for the next thing? No, i dont think that will be the case. It's not something historic, it's pretty cookie cutter market entry.

There are some far more interesting ones in the NBA right now. The Fiserv/State Farm/Rocket Mortage/AA(Miami). But even these are just arneas that will get dozed at some point. Madison Square Garden is one of the few examples of something that's got real sticking power, but because of its history. Nothing anyone else is building (or has in the last 30 years) is in that category.

Attachment 17583
    MSG will be getting replaced soon, as well.

MSG will be getting replaced soon, as well.
    in the next 20 years it just recently completed a renovation .. which cost over 1 billion dollars ..

You guys wanting a 20,000+ seats in the new arena are just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

This isn't 1985, and # of seats isn't how they measure quality anymore. There is no chance the new arena has 20k or above. Zip, Zero, Nada. Not to mention 22,500 would be 10% bigger than the largest arena in the NBA. That's not happening in one of the smallest markets.

LCA in Detroit came out larger because of the Red Wings, not the Pistons. (Who then ripped out all the red seats because it looked bad on camera when the arena was never full)

Last 12 years of new arenas

Chase Center Golden State Warriors 18,064 2019
    Fiserv Forum Milwaukee Bucks 17,500 2018
    Little Caesars Arena Detroit Pistons 20,332 2017
    Golden 1 Center Sacramento Kings 17,583 2016
    Barclays Center Brooklyn Nets 17,732 2012
    Amway Center Orlando Magic 18,846 2010

Most like is 17,500 to 18,500.

Personally I hope they do something like the Intuit Center. https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...631363/photo/4

The 4th picture shows how it's going to be built a little old school, with the 100 level rising to the ceiling. Would be an absolute mad house in there and have a college basketball type feel.

The Clippers are building theirs to be basketball specific with concert ability, but very basketball centric. Something OKC should consider given the NHL is likely done at 32 teams.

https://www.nba.com/clippers/#renderings

Large arenas are a thing of the past. No longer the need to pack as many faces in there as possible when most people in the nosebleeds would rather watch from the HDTV anyway. A 17k capacity arena with comfortable, spacious seating, cup holders, more fan amenities, better sight lines, and world class design would satisfy me

Intuit has my favorite aesthetic and potential to be an example for new arena’s moving forward. I mentioned Chase Center and surrounding parts of Mission Bay in San Francisco being a great example to follow in connecting a new arena to the city around it but as far as individual arena’s go, I think Intuit has the best potential of being a standard for future arena designs. We’ll see but it’s stood out to me since the renderings were first released.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    You guys wanting a 20,000+ seats in the new arena are just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

This isn't 1985, and # of seats isn't how they measure quality anymore. There is no chance the new arena has 20k or above. Zip, Zero, Nada. Not to mention 22,500 would be 10% bigger than the largest arena in the NBA. That's not happening in one of the smallest markets.

LCA in Detroit came out larger because of the Red Wings, not the Pistons. (Who then ripped out all the red seats because it looked bad on camera when the arena was never full)

Last 12 years of new arenas

Chase Center Golden State Warriors 18,064 2019
    Fiserv Forum Milwaukee Bucks 17,500 2018
    Little Caesars Arena Detroit Pistons 20,332 2017
    Golden 1 Center Sacramento Kings 17,583 2016
    Barclays Center Brooklyn Nets 17,732 2012
    Amway Center Orlando Magic 18,846 2010

Most like is 17,500 to 18,500.
    Just food for discussion on the new arena... Don't think anyone will be disappointed with an 18,000 + or - arena. Just want the amenities to work seamlessly together. Any exterior improvements over the Paycom Center will be a welcome sight.

If you're going to demolish an existing structure to make room for the new arena, begin with the Cox Convention Center site (Prairie Surf Media Studios). Will save millions on City-owned land. New arena will cost approximately $500 million +/- on city owned land.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Personally I hope they do something like the Intuit Center. https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...631363/photo/4

The 4th picture shows how it's going to be built a little old school, with the 100 level rising to the ceiling. Would be an absolute mad house in there and have a college basketball type feel.

The Clippers are building theirs to be basketball specific with concert ability, but very basketball centric. Something OKC should consider given the NHL is likely done at 32 teams.

https://www.nba.com/clippers/#renderings
    oh man! Something with that seating arrangement would be awesome

Thread Information