Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

Default Re: Cox Covention Center

Obviously demolition should not occur before the new convention center is complete. Were the plan to remove the superblock, I would be in favor of demolition at that point in time. Were the Barons still here and the Chesapeake Arena available as an option for them, I wouldn't mind demolition, but only if there is a plan for new construction and/or recreation of Broadway on that block.

Rover, why do you think OKC and NYC are so congruous?

I guarantee the Thunder wouldn't let the Barons use the Chesapeake Arena. They want to hog the place all to themselves during the season. God forbid they share!!

The arena is owned by the City, not the Thunder. There are already many non-Thunder events held in the arena, even during basketball season. One of the primary rules of business is that your most expensive assets should be used as much possible before they become obsolete.

Is kwhey from Seattle?

No, I am not from Seattle but it sure seems that the city bows down to everything the Thunder wants. Why don't we just rename the place Thunderville and name Kevin Durant mayor.

I am a Barons fan and agree with kwhey, Clay Bennett and the Thunder would not let the Barons use the peake in a million years.

I think the Barons would have a more compelling argument if attendance were better. I've been to a few Barons games and really enjoyed them. I hope more people in the city will eventually do the same.

Nope, the Barons could draw 10,000 a night, still wouldn't get to play at the Peake.

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    I am a Barons fan and agree with kwhey, Clay Bennett and the Thunder would not let the Barons use the peake in a million years.
    I promise that if the Cox Center wasn't available some arrangements would be made. Why would the Thunder be anti-Barons? The Barons have absolutely no influence on income from fans of the Thunder and don't compete for that at all.

Nope, the Barons could draw 10,000 a night, still wouldn't get to play at the Peake.
    If they drew 10,000 per night they could still easily be accommodated at the Cox. I also suspect that they can get a much better monetary arrangement at the Cox than they could ever hope for at the Peake.

Also according to a recent article the Thunder prefer and like to play home games on Sunday over Saturday games. That in itself create a lot of scheduling flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Also according to a recent article the Thunder prefer and like to play home games on Sunday over Saturday games. That in itself create a lot of scheduling flexibility.
    Actually, I don't think the Thunder have a lot to say about having Saturday or Sunday night games. The NBA is the deciding factor in that.

Last year we had very few weekend games. Every team in the NBA wants weekend games for the same reason. I think our owners have worked hard to keep the New Years Eve game at home every year but beyond that its potluck.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    No, I am not from Seattle but it sure seems that the city bows down to everything the Thunder wants. Why don't we just rename the place Thunderville and name Kevin Durant mayor.
    That can't be done over night. They are taking it one street at a time.

Okay, now on a serious note - once the new convention center is done the Cox Center, including everything on that block, is coming down. There is no reason to keep it, and even if there was, it is so much better to redevelop that land and return it to the tax rolls. At that point the Barons are going to have 1 of 4 choices 1) Move to the Chesapeake Arena, 2) Fund a renovation of State Fair Park, 3) Build their own arena, or 4) Move to another city. I suspect option one will be everyone's first and only choice. Besides, I think the Thunder get a share of the concession for every non-Thunder event so they will be more than happy to have others there. As for weekend games - the Thunder don't play that many home weekend games and they sure don't play 2 night in a row. The arena can switch from basketball to hockey in a few hours easily allowing both team to play in the same arena on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That can't be done over night. They are taking it one street at a time.

Okay, now on a serious note - once the new convention center is done the Cox Center, including everything on that block, is coming down. There is no reason to keep it, and even if there was, it is so much better to redevelop that land and return it to the tax rolls. At that point the Barons are going to have 1 of 4 choices 1) Move to the Chesapeake Arena, 2) Fund a renovation of State Fair Park, 3) Build their own arena, or 4) Move to another city. I suspect option one will be everyone's first and only choice. Besides, I think the Thunder get a share of the concession for every non-Thunder event so they will be more than happy to have others there. As for weekend games - the Thunder don't play that many home weekend games and they sure don't play 2 night in a row. The arena can switch from basketball to hockey in a few hours easily allowing both team to play in the same arena on the same day.
    I don't understand why so many people are so gung ho to tear down the Myriad. The thing has not outlived its use yet and just received more renovations just 3 years ago that you don't see (new ice plant, completely updating the locker rooms, adding the VIP area on the northside of the seating bowl). If the Barons have to move the Chesapeake the so be it but to me there is nothing about that building that says hockey and Barons fans will be constantly reminded that you are using the Thunder's arena. The Myriad has hockey history streaming out of it's pores with all the old teams that played in the original CHL (original Blazers and the Stars) and new CHL. Just would be a shame to tear down a perfectly good working building just because. I.M. Pei would love that idea.

Well, its still going to be at least ten years away before anything happens. At least 30 percent of the Cox Center will sit empty and never used once the new convention center is completed unless the city just uses the old exhibit spaces as warehouse space. The nice ballrooms on the north side would be the only reason the city doesn't initially tear down the cox center since it probably has a nice juicy contract with the Renaissance hotel.

Edit: It also depends on the economic climate 10 years from now determining what happens.

Guess you don't understand how much national POSITIVE publicity the Thunder provides OKC ?

19. Default Re: Cox Covention Center

I wouldn't mind the eastern portion of the Cox to be torn down. Keep the arena and space to support the facility, but tear down the eastern portion of the building to allow future development. Partially developing the site allows us to keep the arena and we could maximize use by introducing mixed-used structures such as hotel/office/ with retail on the ground. It would be right across the street from our future intermodal hub as well and would help transform that section of Gaylord into a more walkable area.

We've seen this toyed around with a couple of times, rendered in various studies and plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    I wouldn't mind the eastern portion of the Cox to be torn down. Keep the arena and space to support the facility, but tear down the eastern portion of the building to allow future development. Partially developing the site allows us to keep the arena and we could maximize use by introducing mixed-used structures such as hotel/office/ with retail on the ground. It would be right across the street from our future intermodal hub as well and would help transform that section of Gaylord into a more walkable area.

We've seen this toyed around with a couple of times, rendered in various studies and plans.
    This was my thinking as well. Find a way to add mixed use street frontage/towers/etc around the arena, and leave it in place.

Or we could tear it down to restore the street grid and build something like Dallas's victory plaza along broadway leading into CHK.

People seem to be forgetting that the Blazers were the tenant in the Arena by default and played games there when the Sonics/Thunder came to town. After it became an NMA arena, reportedly they couldn't come to new lease terms and moved over to the Cox. part of the lease terms at the Cox included the upgrades mentioned above. As much as I liked the Blazers, even at the hight of their popularity they didn't need the seating capacity of the Arena on a regular basis (they even installed curtains in the upper sections to concentrate spectators so it wouldn't look empty. And according to most of what I have read, attandance for the Barons is less than the Blazers (most of which can probably be atributed to the Barons not giving out near as many free tickets as the Blazers did). I am not a hockey fan per se but went to a few Blazers games and enjoyed it. There may be more like me that weren't hockey fans but Blazers fans. Speaking of which, why is the practice facility near Crossroads Mall still have the Blazers moniker and logo???

22. Default Re: Cox Covention Center

Lets do it. He has my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    People seem to be forgetting that the Blazers were the tenant in the Arena by default and played games there when the Sonics/Thunder came to town. After it became an NMA arena, reportedly they couldn't come to new lease terms and moved over to the Cox. part of the lease terms at the Cox included the upgrades mentioned above. As much as I liked the Blazers, even at the hight of their popularity they didn't need the seating capacity of the Arena on a regular basis (they even installed curtains in the upper sections to concentrate spectators so it wouldn't look empty. And according to most of what I have read, attandance for the Barons is less than the Blazers (most of which can probably be atributed to the Barons not giving out near as many free tickets as the Blazers did). I am not a hockey fan per se but went to a few Blazers games and enjoyed it. There may be more like me that weren't hockey fans but Blazers fans. Speaking of which, why is the practice facility near Crossroads Mall still have the Blazers moniker and logo???
    That's it name. I guess the owners don't feel like changing it.

I guarantee the Thunder wouldn't let the Barons use the Chesapeake Arena. They want to hog the place all to themselves during the season. God forbid they share!!
    Did you create two screennames so you could back yourself up?? lol

Check this out my friend:

Arenas - SMG

Do your homework. Both facilities are managed by the same company. I'm betting that company could easily accommodate both sports in one arena along with a slew of other activities without disturbing each other one iota. It's been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Did you create two screennames so you could back yourself up?? lol

Check this out my friend:

Arenas - SMG

Do your homework. Both facilities are managed by the same company. I'm betting that company could easily accommodate both sports in one arena along with a slew of other activities without disturbing each other one iota. It's been done before.
    To add to that: If LA could host the multiple home playoff games for the Lakers, The Clippers, The Kings, and regular season Sparks games at the Staples Center during same week, I'm sure SMG could handle both the Thunder, Barons, and various concerts at the Peake throughout both of their seasons.

Thread Information