Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

Default Re: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

And a reminder that the only thing booked thus far is for a faith-based, limited distribution film with a production company that was already filming another similar project in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    I know Georgia has a similar set of state-level incentives and has done a nice job of landing major productions.

However, that State also received some pushback from producers concerning certain conservative proposals pending in the State’s legislature.

If Oklahoma is going to land projects that air on Netflix or Amzn, we need to do a better job of managing the crazies on 23rd Street.
    New Mexico, a liberal state, just landed a billion dollar expansion of Netflix production in Albuquerque.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    New Mexico, a liberal state, just landed a billion dollar expansion of Netflix production in Albuquerque.
    Albuquerque City Council approves funding for Netflix expansion: https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...lix-expansion/

2,000 jobs over the next decade (10 years). Does this equate to mean permanent jobs...

Blog Entries

So, what are the benchmarks that will indicate this was solid decision? How many projects? Do they need to be totally new to the state? In two months.. six months ... a year?

Of course, we will never know an apples to apples alternative to decide if the city could have made a better choice. Would like to see analysis of the alternative uses and how many were realistic.

Blog Entries

We need to give this production company time to explore all of its options and see what comes to fruition.

As for the future use of the Cox Convention Center, as for its demolition, it does give us time to weigh options for this huge facility spanning 1.3 million square feet.

Prairie Surf media has plenty of room for growth; they have connections in Hollywood if they need future investors.

IMO Oklahoma City did the right thing to minimize its losses vs having the Cox Center sit idle waiting on other potential uses for the structure or as a possible overflow venue to backup the new convention center in the future.

6. Default Re: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Put your chips on 9; gambling in time.

Meanwhile, the biggest gift we received was from an NBA ownership group which comprised most of the deepest pockets of investors in Oklahoma City & Tulsa. These investors had 10x the purchasing power of our 1997 NHL expansion derby group.
    sure about that?

my opinion of the Cox, the city should have kept the stadium and the Blue and other sporting events wouldn't have to move. They could have just carved out the ballrooms and halls for the studios "gifting" that for a couple of years.

That's my ONLY issue with this, otherwise I think it is a net win for the city as it makes a strong statement in a very growing, visible industry (ask ABQ).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    sure about that?

my opinion of the Cox, the city should have kept the stadium and the Blue and other sporting events wouldn't have to move. They could have just carved out the ballrooms and halls for the studios "gifting" that for a couple of years.

That's my ONLY issue with this, otherwise I think it is a net win for the city as it makes a strong statement in a very growing, visible industry (ask ABQ).
    I recall George Kaiser was an original investor, and might still be. I don’t wanna be a google know it all, so someone else can answer that. And I think he is considered the richest man in Tulsa and maybe the whole state.

I love the Incomparable Myriad Arena, but the events committed to there the next couple years aren’t large attendance events. There are plenty good alternatives in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I recall George Kaiser was an original investor, and might still be. I don’t wanna be a google know it all, so someone else can answer that. And I think he is considered the richest man in Tulsa and maybe the whole state.

I love the Incomparable Myriad Arena, but the events committed to there the next couple years aren’t large attendance events. There are plenty good alternatives in town.
    George Kaiser wasn't an original investor but bought out Tom Ward's share in the team. AFAIK he is still an owner.

He is by far the richest person in Tulsa with a net worth of $10B. The next richest is Lynn Schusterman at "only" $3.4B.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    George Kaiser wasn't an original investor but bought out Tom Ward's share in the team. AFAIK he is still an owner.

He is by far the richest person in Tulsa with a net worth of $10B. The next richest is Lynn Schusterman at "only" $3.4B.
    Good recall, BG918, just want to mention a few thing before we get back on topic, Kaiser's net worth is now listed at $13.2 billion:

Oklahoma Celebrity Net Worth: https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ma...ates/oklahoma/

Tom & Judy Love are among the wealthiest in Oklahoma--estimated $5 billion. With Judy being a very vocal Thunder fan, you would think they would eventually be among the Thunder's ownership group.

Did McClendon's share of the franchise ever get sold...

South-facing sign is up:

I guess this means the building is now closed to the public? No more parking in the Santa Fe garage and walking all the way to the Chesapeake Arena under shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I guess this means the building is now closed to the public? No more parking in the Santa Fe garage and walking all the way to the Chesapeake Arena under shelter.
    That is correct.

I like their logo on this side, that emblem is a nice design.

Blog Entries

Let's see how this works out with Prairie Surf Studios. They will have room for growth. As far as The Blue, there are a number of places they can play in our city since their attendance seldom exceeded 1,000. The gymnasium at the Original Classen High School (Closed) could be used. You want to generate a crowd, have the Blue play in Enid, call them the Enid Blue or whatever, you'd draw a good crowd in the 6,500 seat Chisholm Trail Expo Center and bus the team back to OKC. Start those games at 6 p.m., or earlier. The Oklahoma City Thunder could play their annual 'Blue vs white' exhibition game in Enid--you'd draw a capacity crowd.

Chisholm Trail Expo Center Coliseum

We know the organization doesn't place a high priority on promotion of the Blue development franchise; however this G League franchise could be used to charge up a community like Enid which has been hit hard by the loss of Continental Resources.

I understand Tulsa's situation, they felt belittled being a farm or development team for their in state rival city--suddenly in the last 20 years watch OKC become a 'big league city' in sports with an NBA franchise which the Tulsa area helps support.

Let's see how this works out with Prairie Surf Studios. They will have room for growth. As far as The Blue, there are a number of places they can play in our city since their attendance seldom exceeded 1,000. The gymnasium at the Original Classen High School (Closed) could be used. You want to generate a crowd, have the Blue play in Enid, call them the Enid Blue or whatever, you'd draw a good crowd in the 6,500 seat Chisholm Trail Expo Center and bus the team back to OKC. Start those games at 6 p.m., or earlier. The Oklahoma City Thunder could play their annual 'Blue vs white' exhibition game in Enid--you'd draw a capacity crowd.

We know the organization doesn't place a high priority on promotion of the Blue development franchise; however this G League franchise could be used to charge up a community like Enid which has been hit hard by the loss of Continental Resources.

I understand Tulsa's situation, they felt belittled being a farm or development team for their in state rival city--suddenly in the last 20 years watch OKC become a 'big league city' in sports with an NBA franchise which the Tulsa area helps support.
    In regards to putting the team in Enid, I think these guys might have something to say about it:

https://www.news9.com/story/6074e35c...asketball-team

Blog Entries

Post Re: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    In regards to putting the team in Enid, I think these guys might have something to say about it:

https://www.news9.com/story/6074e35c...asketball-team
    Thanks Warreng88, also discovered that Enid has an indoor football league team called the Oklahoma Flying Aces, they are in the same league with the Omaha, Wichita & Sioux Falls: https://www.enidnews.com/sports/loca...5768a35ef.html

Great news to know that Enid is doing fine. Far better than cities of its size.

18. Default Re: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

by choice, right. ..

I'm tired of this "Tulsa" attitude like OKC owes them something. .. OKC has grown largely despite Tulsa and the state. If Tulsa choses to support the OKC Thunder then they're entitled to it but we don't owe them anything just like how OKC people support Tulsa's music scene (and to a much lesser extent now, shopping scene) - yet I never hear anybody crying about how Tulsa therefore OWES OKC. ..

It's high time for some OKC folks to move away from this overly humility and just be proud of OUR city. Do you really think Tulsa thinks they OWE OKC anything? Yet I'm sure OKC is the biggest outside supporter of everything up there. So why does ANYTHING in OKC have to owe itself to Tulsa's support? Tulsa didn't want the Blue, tough $*** for them then. They didn't want nor support the WNBA either, which was their major league team handed to them. ..

That said, I think Wichita would GLADLY accept the OKC Blue and IMO it makes sense since Wichita is bigger than Tulsa (city wise, not metro) and has a bigger TV market (not that that particularly matters but still) so therefore you would add that catchment market to OKC. I know the Thunder probably already add KS as an external catchment but they don't include it in the direct OKC market numbers - whereas with the Blue up there (and therefore Thunder TV rights) they probably could. ..

I can't think of any good reason why the Blue would leave OKC. There's a big advantage for the team in having them close and fan support for the G League is too limited to merit the additional hassle of moving the team somewhere else. I suspect they'll stay.

As for the post above, I'm not even sure where to start. The notion that Wichita (city: 382,368; metro: 644,888) is bigger than Tulsa (city: 391,906; metro: 991,561) is incorrect, but if you've ever visited both, you'd never consider Wichita "bigger." In fact, maybe the best way to describe Wichita is a smaller Tulsa. If you've ever spent time in both places (I lived in both), you'd know that Tulsa feels like a much bigger city than the numbers indicate. As for the rest of the post, there are so many manufactured narratives that it's not worth addressing them all.

^^^^

Agree. I don't think the G League is very focused on live attendance. Appears moving the teams to the city of the "Big Club" is the wave of the future. Gives the Thunder organization a way to get all their players in the same training, nutrition and style of play mindset. Can do call ups on the game day afternoon. Builds up team chemistry. Advantage to Myriad was it was a former major event center that was across the street from the current arena. Otherwise, no big deal.

The Peake is not booked a lot of nights. I wonder if the Blue might just play many of their games there and have an alternate home when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The Peake is not booked a lot of nights. I wonder if the Blue might just play many of their games there and have an alternate home when needed.
    In the past, the Blue has played other teams at the Thunder practice facility. Very good setup imo.

23. Default Re: Prairie Surf Studios (formerly Cox Center)

Dan - I stand corrected about the stats on Wichita. I have been too and visited both cities countless times and yes while Tulsa feels much bigger I always thought Wichita had the edge in actual city pop.

As to your reference of the rest of my manufactured narratives - I am entitled to my opinion and this IS a chat forum last I knew. Knowing people from Wichita and being from OKC born and raised I can vouch that my 'manufactured narrative' as you call them are shared by many in those cities whereas Tulsans often feel that OKC owes them for some reason - just as exactly as Larry wrote in his post (which I think we should stop). ..

Of course, you’re entitled to your opinion. As someone from Tulsa who knows lots of people from Tulsa, I’ve never heard a single person utter anything close to what you claim. Maybe there’s a secret cabal of OKC-owes-us Tulsans, but I haven’t met them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Of course, you’re entitled to your opinion. As someone from Tulsa who knows lots of people from Tulsa, I’ve never heard a single person utter anything close to what you claim. Maybe there’s a secret cabal of OKC-owes-us Tulsans, but I haven’t met them yet.
    Tulsan here and I don’t recall anybody, in my circles at least, give off vibes that OKC owes Tulsa anything. Actually I notice a lot of admiration for what OKC is doing, from people here in the city. For me personally I spend a lot more time researching and reading about OKC developments than I do the city I’ve lived in for 30 years. I just saw a list (I think from KFOR, if I recall correctly) and Tulsa was ranked 1 or 2 for people that are migrating to OKC. I think that says a lot, for how Tulsan’s feel about OKC.

Thread Information