Widgets Magazine

Thread: Highways

Red face Highways

We often talk about memories of Route 66. Have you traveled the complete Mother Road? What stretch or location do you remember most?

Ever travel the Lincoln Highway? We forget it's the first U.S. Highway. I have not and it appears to be a bucket-list item.

Default Re: Highways

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    We often talk about memories of Route 66. Have you traveled the complete Mother Road? What stretch or location do you remember most?

Ever travel the Lincoln Highway? We forget it's the first U.S. Highway. I have not and it appears to be a bucket-list item.
    I hitchhiked to California in 1971, before I-40 was complete. I was standing on a corner in Kingman, Arizona. Andy Devine Blvd is what Route 66 was called there.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    ...I was standing on a corner in Kingman, Arizona. ...
    If you had been in Winslow, you woulda seen a pretty girl

I've only done it to the west. I did that several times during the 50's and 60's going to visit relatives in LA. Staying at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Arizona was a biggie for me as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    The one in the flatbed Ford?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp2U3...watch_response

California in those days was a magical place...I spent my adult years there...it's all gone now...ruined by many disparate things...

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I originally posted Winslow, but then I checked Google Maps and Kingman is where I saw Andy Devine Blvd, that name really stuck with me. Does I-40/Rte 66 go through Winslow?

I originally posted Winslow, but then I checked Google Maps and Kingman is where I saw Andy Devine Blvd, that name really stuck with me. Does I-40/Rte 66 go through Winslow?
    Yes they do.

Yes they do.
    Just always--and I mean ALWAYS avoid the devious and evil hell-hole of Seligmann at ALL COSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Just always--and I mean ALWAYS avoid the devious and evil hell-hole of Seligmann at ALL COSTS!
    I was going to ask, "Why, don't you like burros?" But I was thinking of Oatman. What's the matter with Seligmann?

I was going to ask, "Why, don't you like burros?" But I was thinking of Oatman. What's the matter with Seligmann?
    The most unfriendly town on Earth...filled with evil hateful people that thought everyone without a crewcut was a dangerous hippie back in the day (like 1972) and refused service to me at a crummy dreadful restaurant...and other associated events. Fortunately, a passenger with me preventing me from torching place as I had fully intended to do...

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    The most unfriendly town on Earth...filled with evil hateful people that thought everyone without a crewcut was a dangerous hippie back in the day (like 1972) and refused service to me at a crummy dreadful restaurant...and other associated events. Fortunately, a passenger with me preventing me from torching place as I had fully intended to do...
    Sounds like Stillwater to me!!!!

Sounds like Stillwater to me!!!!
    Sounds like all of OK in the late 60s early 70s.

Ever try OK state highway 270? It goes from the OK/CO border in the panhandle to south of Idabel in far SE Ok. I haven't tried the whole thing, but I went SE to Wilburton and Robber's Cave area many times and then about 12 years ogo, took that way to Colorado.

I once took a trip on 66 from Tulsa to OKC because I didn't have enough money for the turnpike. It was either eat a couple of hotdogs or the turnpike. (hotdogs won)

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I once took a trip on 66 from Tulsa to OKC because I didn't have enough money for the turnpike. It was either eat a couple of hotdogs or the turnpike. (hotdogs won)
    I often opt for going from OKC to Tulsa and back. Love the back roads and such. Hard to get riders when you do that. Took 6hrs. once to get to OKC from Barttlesville.

I often opt for going from OKC to Tulsa and back. Love the back roads and such. Hard to get riders when you do that. Took 6hrs. once to get to OKC from Barttlesville.
    Yeah, it's a nice ride but takes a while.

Thread Information