Widgets Magazine

Thread: 10-mile-flats in Norman

Default 10-mile-flats in Norman

We used to race cars there in the '60s. I used that route when I rode my bicycle to Norman from SW OKC in the '70s. There was no traffic back then.

You could buy milk, eggs or grass (sod) from farms in the area.

Anyone remember the old school house on the SW corner of Franklin and 60th street NW(same as Western Ave. in OKC)? How about the big hill at Robinson and 48th street NW?

Default Re: 10-mile-flats in Norman

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    We used to race cars there in the '60s. I used that route when I rode my bicycle to Norman from SW OKC in the '70s. There was no traffic back then.

Anyone remember the old school house on the SW corner of Franklin and 60th street NW(same as Western Ave. in OKC)? How about the big hill at Robinson and 48th street NW?
    On the hill--you must mean Mt. Williams...or as we called it...Bullet Hill...it was loaded (and I mean LOADED) with old WW2 bullets from being the aircraft target for USN aircraft during the War...from the North and South Navy bases in Norman...

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    On the hill--you must mean Mt. Williams...or as we called it...Bullet Hill...it was loaded (and I mean LOADED) with old WW2 bullets from being the aircraft target for USN aircraft during the War...from the North and South Navy bases in Norman...
    Nah, you're talking about the big dirt mound ammo backstop that's where a Target etc., now sits on the east side of I-35. Frisky is talking a steep incline in the terrain between about 46th and 48th. It's all four lane through there now, but it's still a steep hit for walker, joggers or pedal folk.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Nah, you're talking about the big dirt mound ammo backstop that's where a Target etc., now sits on the east side of I-35. Frisky is talking a steep incline in the terrain between about 46th and 48th. It's all four lane through there now, but it's still a steep hit for walker, joggers or pedal folk.
    OIC...yes--I was talking about the Target location...

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post

Frisky, I definitely remember that school because I went to school there through the 4th grade. It was the Pleasant Valley School. It was closed then because of low attendence and we were transferred into Norman. I believe I had 4 students in my grade the last year but because of great individual attention from the teacher most of us were ahead of the Norman students when we transferred.

How about "Hollywood Corners"?

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Still there!!

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    What does Hollywood Corner have to do with 10-mile-flats?

Thread Information