Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Summary of Downtown Projects

Default Summary of Downtown Projects

Please let me know if I've forgotten any. I'll add renderings later when I get a chance. Oh, and SandRidge still sucks. Without further ado:

Devon Tower w/ front park

Devon auditorium

Devon parking garage w/ street retail

SandRidge Commons: 5 demolitions, Braniff Bldg renovation

SandRidge employee activity bldg

City Hall/Civic Center Music Center grounds redesign

Myriad Gardens amphitheatre + grounds redesign

Myriad Gardens Crystal Bridge renovation + new LED glass panels

SkyDance Bridge..sorta

Festival Park--new 70 acre highly-programmed "central park"

Ford Center renovation

American Indian Cultural Center--riverside

UCO Boathouse

Devon OCU Boathouse

Chesapeake Finish Line Tower

Dowell Center renovation (recipient of $1 million city loan)

Midtown Plaza--Cadillac Bldg renovation

Grace Cleaner's bldg renovation (new story, law office)

The Hart @ Film Row

Film Row Streetscape

626 W. Main office/loft renovation

Oklahoma Case Study house in SoSA

8twenty8 NW 8th Street in SoSA

919 NW 8th Street in SoSA -- more SoSA here

Bridge House in SoSA--maybe a different design?

Clark Bldg renovation in Deep Deuce

The Hill--phase 2, 18 more townhome units (157+ total)

Aloft Hotel in Deep Deuce

Maywood apartments in Deep Deuce

OIPA HQ across I-235 from Deep Deuce

Bricktown fire station

Bricktown Gateway/Zio's bldg renovation

Hadden Hall in Mid-town

Packard Building in Mid-town..no Full Circle just yet

1212 Walker in Mid-town

New dialysis center at St. Anthony's

Other Project 180 streetscapes

New Hideaway Pizza in Automobile Alley

OU Children's Hospital

OMRF Tower

OU Cancer Institute

Dean McGee Eye Institute

On the horizon:

Nick Preftakes-owned block bounded by Main/Sheridan/Walker/Hudson

Campbell Park mixed-use development

The Waterfront mixed-use development

Downtown Ford site redevelopment, huge mixed-use development

Classen Drive extension through Mid-town

Downtown streetcar system first phase (7 miles)

New downtown convention center/convention hotel

Chamber Forum

OU Boathouse
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Default Re: Revised rundown of current downtown projects

I believe Spartan has been hired as some sort of PR push guy by the Chamber. Nice work. Do you have any renderings of the new LFL arena?

Where can I find more of the rendering for the 1)City hall civic center music center grounds redesign and 2)Myriad gardens amphitheater and grounds redesign? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Downtown Ford site redevelopment, huge mixed-use development
    Spartan, the Ford site is bigger than what you have pictured. It includes one more block to the west and the three blocks to the south. It is everything between Reno and I-40 and from Robinson to Walker. This project is going to make a serious impact on downtown, and OKC in general.

What is the status of the Chamber building? I'm still not a fan of the design/orientation of this building at that important corner on Broadway.

If the Chamber Building gets built as last proposed on that corner it will be better than nothing, but not near as good as it could have been. It will help in taking up ground space that will eventually lead to higher density development though.

Blangtang--I don't work for the Chamber, lol. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, it just wasn't in Bricktown. Here is the rendering I just finished working on for our new LFL Arena (let's just say I was inspired):

BIG918--The Chamber bldg isn't going to get changed. The alternate that the Chamber prefers involves straightening EKG which the city will never budge on until a lot of really unimaginative city engineers get let go. It was on hold because the Chamber did not want its members to contribute to the cost of the new bldg during the recession. The Chamber does a lot of fundraising efforts all the time which goes into the city's economic development fund. I imagine they will break ground on the Forum in less than two years though. Still a fresh project.

Kerry--didn't know it went all the way to Walker, but as far south of 2nd Street I ended it there because I imagine the alignment of the new boulevard might not follow the Crosstown right-of-way extactly, especially if they chose to incorporate the berms holding up the Crosstown or something cool like that.

Where did you see the proposed project for the Classen Drive extension/redevelopment? Judging by the renderings it looks like my office would be in the crosshairs.

Well most of the land is actually supposed to be clear already. It was already passed/funded in the last bond issue. The city has sketches and stuff included online in the Medical Business Corridor masterplan. I covered it a lot better and more concisely here:
    http://downtownontherange.blogspot.c...rising_29.html

For 2-3 months I tried emailing and calling the city division in charge of Medical Business District, Inc. and never got a response or anything from the humans that allegedly work there, so I have no idea how that project is progressing. Pretty typical of this city's planning department, honestly.

For 2-3 months I tried emailing and calling the city division in charge of Medical Business District, Inc. and never got a response or anything from the humans that allegedly work there, so I have no idea how that project is progressing. Pretty typical of this city's planning department, honestly.
    Oh, I'd love for you to expand on that last line. Pretty please.

^ Uh yeah, let me know if the planning dept ever comes close to meeting the goals set out in the Downtown OKC Strategic Action Plan.

Are we sure the Devon parking garage is going to have street level retail? I drove by it today and I don't see where the retail would be. The west and north side appear to be blank walls for the most part. The south side, of course, will be blocked in by the building. I didn't see the east side.

Also, I drove by the Maywood apartments site and noticed they were doing some land work out there. It looks like they were drilling something with a large machine and there was also a truck with a tank on it.

The Devon parking structure was built with the ability to add retail later, although that will not be included in the short term.

The expedited construction timetable actually makes phasing of all the different Devon projects kind of interesting, but I thought the retail would go in once construction on the tower is finished? Of course, the parking garage has been finished for a while. What is the definition of "short term" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The Devon parking structure was built with the ability to add retail later, although that will not be included in the short term.
    So, in other words, there will never be retail.

They built glass into the ground floor of that garage but also put concrete block a few feet behind that, creating display cases for now.

The block can later be removed and some or all of that frontage on Hudson can be storefronts down the road. Since this was walled off in a semi-permanent way, I got the impression that retail would probably be several years down the road, not just in a year and a half when they open the tower. Otherwise, why put up concrete block?

You can see some of the windows on the ground floor (and the block wall behind them) just to the left of the garage exit:

Regardless of how many of these projects actually come to fruition, this is all really exciting to see.

Pete -- right, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember having the discussion a few months ago about the retail bays when we first noticed them going in and then we got confirmation from someone with privy info that it would be so

That is a stunningly beautiful picture.

Devon will have plenty of retail/restaurant space to fill in the Garden building and I'm sure that will be their first priority.

If they planned to use that space on Hudson for retail any time soon, why would they wall it off with concrete block? Why not just use sheet rock that could be easily removed?

I'm not sure those bays will be in demand soon, anyway. Not until the properties across the street are substantially remodeled/replaced. And I bet that is what Devon is thinking as well.

It makes total sense to give that area some life with some display cases until such a time that retail might be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Are we sure the Devon parking garage is going to have street level retail? I drove by it today and I don't see where the retail would be. The west and north side appear to be blank walls for the most part. The south side, of course, will be blocked in by the building. I didn't see the east side.

Also, I drove by the Maywood apartments site and noticed they were doing some land work out there. It looks like they were drilling something with a large machine and there was also a truck with a tank on it.
    Those are going to be the apartments wade scaramucci is designing.

Spartan, Pete is right about the Devon Garage, no retail in the forseeable future, just display boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    I'm not sure those bays will be in demand soon, anyway. Not until the properties across the street are substantially remodeled/replaced. And I bet that is what Devon is thinking as well.
    Speaking of that, I have grown tired of waiting for Nick Preftakes to make a move on all those properties he consolidated ownership. We knew when he assembled those properties that he was up to something, that was before Devon, which he obviously either knew about or suspected as well. It's been a year now and still no word what he's up to and I just don't think he's speculating.

22. Default Re: Revised rundown of current downtown projects

Spartan, are you just using "Festival Park" as a placeholder, or did I miss something??
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

It's a name I'm starting to hear. I like it. I would prefer a synonym for "park" but whatever.

It's a name I'm starting to hear. I like it. I would prefer a synonym for "park" but whatever.
    I'm hearing Festivus Park!

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I'm hearing Festivus Park!
    ^^ Festivus for The rest of us!Haha great Seinfield episode!

Thread Information