Widgets Magazine

Thread: A question for long time Normanites.

Default A question for long time Normanites.

In the shopping center on west Lindsey, across from the Classic 50's drive-in, there was once a family style, country, hillsy, down-home style, type restaurant. I believe there is a Boyers workout/fitness place in that spot now. What was the name of that restaurant? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: A question for long time Normanites.

I believe the place you're talking about was called Po' Folks. Great fried chicken special on Sundays.

Underwood's? Circa...late 60's early 70's...was originally a BBQ place...at least that was in that location just behind what was a bank back then...

Po' Folks had bumper stickers that said "We're po' but we're proud." They were all over town.

soonermike and Mr. T have it right. Po Folks was one of the first places in town I ate in early 86 when we came to check out the town. We were deciding between Norman and another location for our grad programs. In the early years, Po Folks, The Kettle (W Main one) and O'Connell's kept me well fed, and I am still very fond of O'Connell's

Remember when there were two entrances for O'Connell's?

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    In the shopping center on west Lindsey, across from the Classic 50's drive-in, there was once a family style, country, hillsy, down-home style, type restaurant. I believe there is a Boyers workout/fitness place in that spot now. What was the name of that restaurant? Thanks for any help.
    I remember that restaurant and ate there a few time but I believe at the time the Classic 50's location was still a Sonic. The original configuration of the Sonic had it running more East to West than North to South though.

8. Default Re: A question for long time Normanites.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I remember that restaurant and ate there a few time but I believe at the time the Classic 50's location was still a Sonic. The original configuration of the Sonic had it running more East to West than North to South though.
    And didn't that original Sonic have tracks that the food trays ran on?

Quote Originally Posted by JimTrabersColostomyBag View Post
    And didn't that original Sonic have tracks that the food trays ran on?
    That boondoggle that Juel Sweatt tried only lasted a couple of months--and after a few hundred people got drenched with cold drinks spilling out onto them..hahaha...what a Rube Goldberg design that was...the original Sonic there was east/west...and there was a go-cart track and a trampoline place across the street there before the shopping center was built...

Hollywood Shopping Center also had Morrison's Drug, TG&Y, and Anthony's back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    Hollywood Shopping Center also had Morrison's Drug, TG&Y, and Anthony's back in the day.
    And Jack Woolery had a bakery there as well for a time...it was the hang-out place (Hollywood Shopping Center Parking lot) after cruising Lindsay back in the day...when the circuit ran from Jonesy's (now that steak-sandwich place) to the Sonic (thru the Boomerang) and turn-around in the Blue Onion parking lot...optional Main Street and Campus Corner cruises were the sightseeing trip for teenagers having a beer-drinking evening...

pi folks! it was the best place!! our fav...

Thread Information