Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not so great okc memories

Default not so great okc memories

I noticed there is post about a restuarant that had a bad murder to it the, sirlion stockade.. I also know that there was a post office thing that was big, but do not really know that much about it, and of course the murrah bombing.. Is there anything else crazy that happened here in okc are? I dont want anyone to get upset about this subject/post, so please dont read the responses if it is to much for you to handle and/or please do no respond with a hateful attitude towards the subject, Im just curious and asking.

Default Re: not so great okc memories

And now...the deluge...

the great memories of downtown OKC and then "Urban Renewal"....there was something that was not so fond a memory. OKC was a beautiful Downtown City.....Oh well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    the great memories of downtown OKC and then "Urban Renewal"....there was something that was not so fond a memory. OKC was a beautiful Downtown City.....Oh well.....
    So was Dallas in the days of yore...back when a teenager could take a Greydog down to the Adolphus and get booze from room service...those were the days...time marches on...Dallas always reeked of bus exhaust downtown....

my boss tells me stories back when she was a kid, her family would on the weekends would go to downtown okc to shop, and eat, she said it was big thing back then, huge stores and everything, wish it could come back, sounded like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    my boss tells me stories back when she was a kid, her family would on the weekends would go to downtown okc to shop, and eat, she said it was big thing back then, huge stores and everything, wish it could come back, sounded like fun
    In it's heyday ,50's-60's, Capitol Hill had about all one needed for nice shops,theaters,etc. We did however get to go "downtown" as Petula Clark sang and get to see the really big stores. I was pretty content back then with Commerce Street in Capitol Hill. Bought a lot of clothing in the basement of Langstons anyway, didn't do much good to go downtown except to look.

I remember going downtown and watching either the Hudson Hotel or the Hotel Black being imploded for Urban Renewal.

8. Default Re: not so great okc memories

Nature speeding up the appearance improvement on May 3rd 1999. Since then, we have been lacking any major storms in that way to also assist the rapid demolitions of other old buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by osu cowboy View Post
    In it's heyday ,50's-60's, Capitol Hill had about all one needed for nice shops,theaters,etc. We did however get to go "downtown" as Petula Clark sang and get to see the really big stores. I was pretty content back then with Commerce Street in Capitol Hill. Bought a lot of clothing in the basement of Langstons anyway, didn't do much good to go downtown except to look.
    I think I had more fun going to Capitol Hill than going downtown....you could almost always see someone you knew or some girl you "wanted" to know. I remember going in Levine's just to here Mr. Levine "gripe"....I know all three of his boys and when they were young none of them could fold Levi's good enough to please him...Until they made a big sell.....then they were heroes....they always had Levi's ...501's...$2.99 a pair....do you remember back that far??? I remember going up the elevator at John A. Brown and the lady would announce Mezzanine..."ladies foundations"....No young men you need not get off here....But my mom is here....Prove it....well, I thought she was....main floor...Cub Scout and Boy scout goods....sheesh then you would have to walk up the stairs.....No escalators there...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Nature speeding up the appearance improvement on May 3rd 1999. Since then, we have been lacking any major storms in that way to also assist the rapid demolitions of other old buildings.
    Too bad the ice storms of recent memory only managed to destroy the things of beauty

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    And now...the deluge...
    Thought we had that in July

I think I had more fun going to Capitol Hill than going downtown....you could almost always see someone you knew or some girl you "wanted" to know. I remember going in Levine's just to here Mr. Levine "gripe"....I know all three of his boys and when they were young none of them could fold Levi's good enough to please him...Until they made a big sell.....then they were heroes....they always had Levi's ...501's...$2.99 a pair....do you remember back that far??? I remember going up the elevator at John A. Brown and the lady would announce Mezzanine..."ladies foundations"....No young men you need not get off here....But my mom is here....Prove it....well, I thought she was....main floor...Cub Scout and Boy scout goods....sheesh then you would have to walk up the stairs.....No escalators there...
    I know where I lived we could walk to the movies on Sat in Capitol Hill. I remember the mezzanine on the elevator at Brown's. Bought a crystal radio kit there for Cub Scouts.
    Liked the soda fountain at Kresses and Capitol Hill Drugs. Loved Bob's Hot Dogs just west of the jewelers and bakery.

A friend and I were speaking the other day about changes we'd observed in the life of the City during the course of our own lives. He recounted going to Brown's downtown and not being able to take the escalator because of a "whites only" sign. I am glad that kind of discrimination is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    A friend and I were speaking the other day about changes we'd observed in the life of the City during the course of our own lives. He recounted going to Brown's downtown and not being able to take the escalator because of a "whites only" sign. I am glad that kind of discrimination is gone.
    I remember seeing that sign...also saw one at Kress and Woolworth's.....

and it was pretty much common knowledge to leave Capitol Hill before dark. I don't know how you would verify that, but I heard it often from the "old timers"

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    and it was pretty much common knowledge to leave Capitol Hill before dark. I don't know how you would verify that, but I heard it often from the "old timers"
    Speaking of "old timers" stuff....Valleybrook still has its Green River Ordinance sign clearly visible. Too bad, Mr. Fuller Brush man

Quote Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
    Speaking of "old timers" stuff....Valleybrook still has its Green River Ordinance sign clearly visible. Too bad, Mr. Fuller Brush man
    And--they made some damn good brushes...and how I miss the Watkins Products man and the Charles Chips folks...have to go out of the house for vanilla extract now...

And--they made some damn good brushes...and how I miss the Watkins Products man and the Charles Chips folks...have to go out of the house for vanilla extract now...
    Add Jewel-T man to that lists.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Add Jewel-T man to that lists.
    Yes--indeed....I miss the olden days when I would wait up before dawn for the Borden milk man--and change my Mom's list and add a quart of chocolate milk to her list...and consume it with my brother--like no one would ever know!

Yes--indeed....I miss the olden days when I would wait up before dawn for the Borden milk man--and change my Mom's list and add a quart of chocolate milk to her list...and consume it with my brother--like no one would ever know!
    Used to love riding the train from Lubbock to Oklahoma to visit my mom's parents. Their milk came in quart bottles and had to be stirred. Favorite treat at their home was fresh apple pie and watching an adult with a serving spoon skim the cream off the milk and onto the pie. Grandma was a seamstress and I swear her fingers were 6 inches long. Got to playing under her treadle machine one afternoon while she sat nearby doing some hand work. Got her bobbin in a knot and before I knew it there was a big ol' knot on the back of my head from where she thumped me with one of those long fingers that had her steel thimble on it. Damn it hurt!!!! Never did mess with her sewing machine again, though. Or get into Grampy's strawberry beds. He had a razor strap and knew how to use it for other things than honing his razor.

Used to love riding the train from Lubbock to Oklahoma to visit my mom's parents. Their milk came in quart bottles and had to be stirred. Favorite treat at their home was fresh apple pie and watching an adult with a serving spoon skim the cream off the milk and onto the pie. Grandma was a seamstress and I swear her fingers were 6 inches long. Got to playing under her treadle machine one afternoon while she sat nearby doing some hand work. Got her bobbin in a knot and before I knew it there was a big ol' knot on the back of my head from where she thumped me with one of those long fingers that had her steel thimble on it. Damn it hurt!!!! Never did mess with her sewing machine again, though. Or get into Grampy's strawberry beds. He had a razor strap and knew how to use it for other things than honing his razor.
    For a time, growing up in Norman...we went out to a local diary to buy milk...un-homogenized...my older sister would take a straw and consume all the cream off the top rendering the rest of the milk ultra-skim---stuff you could see through...called by oldsters..."blue-john" milk...in those days often milk had to be shaken if you wanted some cream in it...

For a time, growing up in Norman...we went out to a local diary to buy milk...un-homogenized...my older sister would take a straw and consume all the cream off the top rendering the rest of the milk ultra-skim---stuff you could see through...called by oldsters..."blue-john" milk...in those days often milk had to be shaken if you wanted some cream in it...
    Up until the mid to late 70's there was a raw milk dairy north of 152 Hiway on Mustang Rd. I believe they were called Golden Dew Dairy. Had a herd of Guernseys. Usually could get more than a pint of cream off a gallon of milk. Had to bring your own gallon jars, though, the first visit, and they would sell you as much milk as you had jars for.

Up until the mid to late 70's there was a raw milk dairy north of 152 Hiway on Mustang Rd. I believe they were called Golden Dew Dairy. Had a herd of Guernseys. Usually could get more than a pint of cream off a gallon of milk. Had to bring your own gallon jars, though, the first visit, and they would sell you as much milk as you had jars for.
    Guernseys always produced a superior milk--even much whiter than others...

Guernseys always produced a superior milk--even much whiter than others...
    Yep, and sweeter, too

Anybody remember the Gaylord Guernsey Dairy, located just north of Lake Hefner and east of Meridian? It's now an upscale residential development, with great vegetation from all those years of organic fertilization!

Thread Information