Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 181920212223

Thread: Core to Shore

Default Re: Core to Shore

Core to Shore needs two things. A new name and an urban design code similar to Paris or some other big urban city to use as a model to develop a true mixed-use urban district. These codes need not be overlooked nor should any variances be issued. This is the time for the city to put their foot down and be strict.

No set backs. Very few curb cuts. No dedicated turn lanes. Narrow streets. Low speed limits. Have commercial corridors with residential neighborhoods with row houses behind them. Establish a height limit to 12 stories. Things like that.

Right, and when developers propose substandard development, the city should stand their ground. I can see it now, people will be defending bad development on grounds that at least something is being developed and it will help spur other development, and mistakes can be corrected later. However, we've seen how that way of thinking has turned out in Lower Bricktown. It will be much easier if the city doesn't let mistakes be made in the first place.

AMG adds Parkview Village to portfolio
    Chicago multifamily investor now owns three in OKC metro

By: Molly M. Fleming
    The Journal Record
    December 18, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – A developing district near the Oklahoma River helped persuade a buyer to acquire the Parkview Village Apartments.

The complex sold this week to Chicago-based AMG Realty Group, which already owned two metro-area properties: Western Oaks in Bethany and Cherry Hill in Oklahoma City. The company bought the Parkview, a 240-unit complex, for $4 million.

Justin Wilson, Brandon Lamb, David Burnett and Tim McKay with ARA, A Newmark Company handled the transaction.

The property was on the market for four months before AMG purchased it.

“We knew they would be a good fit for us,” Wilson said.

Built in 1948, Parkview has 88 buildings, with a combination of quadplexes and duplexes, with one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. Rents are $525 for the one-bedroom units and $625 for the two-bedroom units.

The complex sprawls between SW 22nd Street, SW 20th Street, S. Kentucky Place and S. Mehl Drive. In total, it occupies 17 acres directly south of Rotary Park and southwest of the former Oklahoma City Downtown Airpark. The airpark is being developed into the Windsor District.

The Windsor District’s potential effect in the area, as well as other developments in south Oklahoma City, were big selling points for the apartments, said Wilson. He said the work being done on SW 25th, known as the Capitol Hill area, helped with the sale as well.

The new owners will be good for the property’s future, he said.

“(AMG’s) model is to go in and buy lower-occupied properties, make them nicer, and fill them up,” Wilson said.

Built in 1948, the complex has had some troubles in the last few years. In 2013, it was foreclosed on and owned by Fannie Mae. Tritex Real Estate Advisors helped renovate the buildings and bring the occupancy to 75 percent.

AMG will spend $1 million on continued improvements and wants to increase the occupancy.

“They plan to improve the outside of the property and get a convenience store or community store in the neighborhood,” Wilson said.

This is the part of the last article that I posted that I was most interested in. I'm surprised that nobody else seems to be interested even if it has been discussed as a possibility before.

The new schools are being looked at by Superintendent Robert Neu and the school board as a response to the growing downtown population and popularity of John W. Rex Elementary.

School board member Justin Ellis said Monday the elementary would act as a feeder school for the higher grades.

“We've got to have another school down here, and that's exactly what this is about,” Ellis said.

I think another nice precedent for Core to Shore would be Back Bay in Boston, I absolutely love that neighborhood. I also agree about the idea of a new name for C2S.

Blog Entries

Oh, did they move the Windsor District from near Bethany to South of the river? And will it go next to the Wheeler District? :-P

7. Default Re: Core to Shore

Honestly I think the C2S vision should probably be revisited before development starts in earnest. That plan is nearly a decade old at this point (planning sessions were in 2006), and MUCH has changed elsewhere in downtown and even in the local understanding of urban planning and development.

Consider how much Wheeler District's vision changed from when the Humphreys family first announced plans for the old Downtown Airpark property. Night and day differences, and most would agree that the changes were excellent.

Revisit the vision, rework the plan, and codify the results. That is the only way that we can ensure that it works with the downtown we've built since the idea was first hatched, and that what is built bears any resemblance to what's on paper.

Blog Entries

OKC could see a breakthrough year in 2019-20 with the completion of these projects:

• New convention center.
    • Omni convention center conference hotel.
    • Oklahoma City downtown central park.
    • Intermodal Transit Hub.
    • Oklahoma City street car transit system.
    • American Indian Cultural Center & Museum.
    • New State Fair Arena.

There's private development:

• BOK Park Plaza Tower.
    • First National Center Tower renovation.
    • Wheeler Park Development.

Not to mention the private development with a mix of hotels, office & residential you could see on the Producers' Cooperative Mill site; also, the possibility of an MLS style stadium in some early stages of development. We should know more once the sale of the site is completed.

Just read an article in 405 Magazine (http://www.405magazine.com/October-2...ct-Discussion/) that at a whole talks about all the districts around OKC, but it also mentioned the South Robinson area, between I-40, the Oklahoma River, Shields and Western. I think this area has so much potential! The article mentions this too. After doing some perusing on Google Maps, it's a really neat area, and I have driven through there a couple times. I know a long time ago, there was renderings of putting high rises in this area long the river. Not sure what I think of that. But I hope that the day this area gets developed, a lot of the structures along Robinson are kept because they could be turned into some neat businesses and restaurants and this whole area could be turned into like what East 6th in Austin is, which also has a large latino influence. The article compared it to the next Automobile Alley. Thoughts? Or anybody know any momentum going on in this area with the development of the park to the north?

Quote Originally Posted by gman11695 View Post
    Just read an article in 405 Magazine (http://www.405magazine.com/October-2...ct-Discussion/) that at a whole talks about all the districts around OKC, but it also mentioned the South Robinson area, between I-40, the Oklahoma River, Shields and Western. I think this area has so much potential! The article mentions this too. After doing some perusing on Google Maps, it's a really neat area, and I have driven through there a couple times. I know a long time ago, there was renderings of putting high rises in this area long the river. Not sure what I think of that. But I hope that the day this area gets developed, a lot of the structures along Robinson are kept because they could be turned into some neat businesses and restaurants and this whole area could be turned into like what East 6th in Austin is, which also has a large latino influence. The article compared it to the next Automobile Alley. Thoughts? Or anybody know any momentum going on in this area with the development of the park to the north?
    Please see post number 1231 here.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=24502&page=50

Quote Originally Posted by gman11695 View Post
    What's currently labeled "Hubcap Alley" I drive past every day going to and from work. Someone with some real skill could take some of the bones there and do some neat stuff. I for one have always loved the old tire shop at the NE corner of 15th and Robinson. I feel like someone could make a killer sports bar there with those big overhead doors, but it's obviously a little soon for that.

13. Default Re: Core to Shore

I'd forgotten about this name. Seems almost as out there and dated as String of Pearls parks.

Thread Information