Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Core to Shore

Default Re: Core to Shore

Regardless, it was tore down on spec. Hopes and dreams have fallen through far to often in this city, they could have waited for demo until ready to build.

2. Default Re: Core to Shore

Finley wasn't torn down on spec; it was demolished for the Aloft Hotel project, currently underway.

I think we're splitting hairs here on the type of demolition situation. The point is that Finley was one of downtown's few successful demolition situations. I would even call it an unqualified success once this beaut gets built (by which I mean no matter what).

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Finley wasn't torn down on spec; it was demolished for the Aloft Hotel project, currently underway.
    My comment was in regards to India Temple. I think some posts got deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Haha, go figure. Probably a flame war involving, well, any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Even India Temple wasn't torn down on speculation. Sandridge had planned to expand on the site all along, they just chose not to tell anyone for some reason. Kermac on the other hand - no known use for that land other than flower beds.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but has Robinson (in the Core-to-Shore area) always been referred to (officially) as Hubcap Alley?

I just noticed these signs attached to several light poles in the area.....

You know, I was just thinking how the east side of the lower park is supposed to go right up to where these buildings are. I hope they stay and aren't demolished; this area has a lot of obvious potential ala Film Row.

While they may not be torn down on spec and some may be worth keeping around. The intent is to draw more dense development to that entire area, something has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    While they may not be torn down on spec and some may be worth keeping around. The intent is to draw more dense development to that entire area, something has to go.
    That's just it though, these are there and it IS dense development. I'm afraid that sort of streetwall would be forever lost. I really am becoming a mild version of Kerry; the aesthetics of a streetwall are honestly what I love the most about urban environments.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    That's just it though, these are there and it IS dense development. I'm afraid that sort of streetwall would be forever lost. I really am becoming a mild version of Kerry; the aesthetics of a streetwall are honestly what I love the most about urban environments.
    Dense is relative, I would not want it to be replaced with suburban style developments like how lower bricktown developed but if they got mid rises like in some of the C2S renderings indicate they want then I am fine with them going.

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    That is a slippery slope, I was once a mild version of myself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    That is a slippery slope, I was once a mild version of myself as well.
    LOL, literally.

Has anyone seen the new Core to Shore report they are presenting to all the MAPS 3 committees?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    LOL - what a spin. I wonder which company came up with this wording. Translation - we built this park for us. The peasant can have Central Park.

Some expressed that rather than hinder development to the south, the
    Convention Center might serve to create a more intimate atmosphere for the
    Myriad Gardens while defining the northern edge of the Downtown Park

I can't believe this actually made it into the report.

The current use of the Cox Convention Center is almost two-thirds community oriented
    and the design of the new Convention Center should recognize and strengthen that
    condition

And where would this be done? The park should drive residential development - not a convention center.

Both residential and hotel development should be considered as options adjacent to the
    new Convention Center

I don't see how there is room to even do this, unless the whole thing went verticle.

A part of the new Convention Center block could be carved out for private development

Once again - where would this occur?

Build on the success of Myriad Gardens by promoting further development
    around Myriad Gardens
    After reviewing the whole document you can tell that the author and most contributers get "urban development" but there are few 'power brokers' that don't. Their input stands out like a sore thumb. The plan is 85% good stuff and 15% WT*. I can easily go through this document and pick out what comments were suggested for inclusion by Devon.

After reviewing the whole document you can tell that the author and most contributers get "urban development" but there are few 'power brokers' that don't. Their input stands out like a sore thumb. The plan is 85% good stuff and 15% WT*. I can easily go through this document and pick out what comments were suggested for inclusion by Devon.
    All I could think was "REALLY?" while reading through this especially the "Some expressed that rather than hinder development to the south, the
    Convention Center might serve to create a more intimate atmosphere for the
    Myriad Gardens while defining the northern edge of the Downtown Park" potion. oh well, I guess I will get use to seeing a huge building from the MBG instead of a beautiful park!

We are still talking about a $250 million convention center that is supposed to have more contiguous floor space than the Cox Center aren't we. There is a huge disconnect between the convention center envisioned to meet the needs of the neighborhood and one that is going to provide enough space to increase out of area conventions by 900%. "Tell them what they want to hear and hope they don't connect the dots" strategy doesn't work in the internet age.

So they are going to dramatically reduce the footprint of the cc? Meanwhile the park is surrounded by huge tracts of land that could be used to increase or keep the footprint the same?

• General consensus among interviewed stakeholders is to keep the substation where it is now.
    WRONG

Blog Entries

Keep in mind, the current footprint includes a large arena that won't be duplicated in the new cc.

I didn't think that using the Ford site for more park has ever been in anyone's plan. The issue is what kind of structure will divide the Myriad Gardens and Central Park. Most on here want a residential/mixed use project with some height anyway. Either way, the view from one to the other WILL be blocked if either sect gets their way.

Blog Entries

"Tell them what they want to hear and hope they don't connect the dots" strategy doesn't work in the internet age.
    Isn't it the truth. With internet EVERYONE with a keyboard and an opinion is an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think we're splitting hairs here on the type of demolition situation. The point is that Finley was one of downtown's few successful demolition situations. I would even call it an unqualified success once this beaut gets built (by which I mean no matter what).
    Out with the old and in with the new. I think the developers should be congratulated for removing that eye sore. As far as the future success, well I geuss that only time will tell.

I have heard two comments from other committee members as we were not informed of this study.

1. Who requested the study and why?

2. Who were the "stakeholders and interested parties" that were interviewed?

I also think the questions regarding the streetcar- "What is the rider profile? and Who is this transit serving?" sound like they were tacked onto the list of questions about The Edge development. lol

We are still talking about a $250 million convention center that is supposed to have more contiguous floor space than the Cox Center aren't we. There is a huge disconnect between the convention center envisioned to meet the needs of the neighborhood and one that is going to provide enough space to increase out of area conventions by 900%. "Tell them what they want to hear and hope they don't connect the dots" strategy doesn't work in the internet age.
    Just curious, how long have you been designing and building convention centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Isn't it the truth. With internet EVERYONE with a keyboard and an opinion is an expert.
    No, it means we can find out what they tell group A and compare that to what they tell group B and have access to the historical record.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Just curious, how long have you been designing and building convention centers.
    How long have you? I first started working as a City Planner in 1998 but have been studying urbanism since about 1991.

Thread Information