Page 1 of 60 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Far North Myriad Gardens

Information &Latest News

Links

Myriad Gardens Website
    Doug Loudenback History Article
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	537354_784865218196653_2097706555_n.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	5284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	601582_750175378332304_133237994_n.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	5285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	960083_792278924121949_1812656588_n.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	5286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	971610_738459449503897_2061842224_n.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	5287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1375052_767315389951636_800810195_n.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	5288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1425733_777546612261847_1729847456_n.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	5289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1463936_791663187516856_464732599_n.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	5290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1471917_795699093779932_1668352939_n.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	5291  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1475920_787459104603931_729390465_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	5292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mg11314a.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	6159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mg11314b.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	6160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mg11314c.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	6161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mg11314d.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	6162  

2. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Oklahoma City's Myriad Gardens to receive makeover

Devon CEO builds on legacy of Dean A. McGee in efforts to develop downtown Oklahoma City

BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: October 9, 2009

Larry Nichols can show a visitor just about everything that’s right — and wrong — at the Myriad Gardens.

But unlike others who have yearned to make improvements at the downtown attraction, Nichols is helping launch a $35 million fulfillment of a public wish list that will add a restaurant, cafe, kiosks for renting model boats and bicycles, a children’s play area, an ice skating rink and what he hopes will become an iconic amphitheater and grand lawn.

Read the full article at:

NewsOK

thanks Warren. FYI - the paper did a beautiful large display of what I consider to be the best rendering of the project. This may be a day where you may want to pick up a copy of the paper rather than just going to NewsOK. A computer screen can't capture this image like the paper did.

Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Very cool! Why did they build it with the berm? To keep the wind down?

4. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

The berms actually were much more pronounced with a steel wall facing the streets when it was first built. I'm not sure, Frittergirl may know better, but yes, I suspect the idea was to combat the wind.

5. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Wow! Very cool. Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The berms actually were much more pronounced with a steel wall facing the streets when it was first built. I'm not sure, Frittergirl may know better, but yes, I suspect the idea was to combat the wind.
    Partially true!

The real intent of the berms was to create a sense of intimacy and quiet within the Gardens by cutting down on traffic noise. The original berms as constructed in 1977 were higher than they are now, but were deemed too high and were cut down circa 1980-80.

There will still be some berm structures in the new plans, but they will be greatly diminished overall, allowing for more street views and entry points throughout the Gardens. In addition, much of the curbing along the outside of the Gardens will be removed (particularly on the West side), allowing for completely open access from the Festival plaza area and Hudson.

As Steve very deftly pointed out in the article, the steering committee is working very hard to create a balance between creating a fully-realized "park" while maintaining the heavy botanical elements found in a traditional botanical gardens.

For all intents and purposes, we will continue to brand this as a Gardens - in fact, will play up the "Gardens" theme in our future branding and marketing. There will also be no name change as has earlier been mentioned. The Myriad Botanical Gardens will remain the Myriad Botanical Gardens.

A few points of clarification regarding the article:

Dog Park:This will NOT be a dog park in the traditional sense, a la PAW Park at Lake Hefner, which spans several acres and has its own large/small dog enclosures. This will be a smaller, enclosed dog relief area with its own unique entry point. It will be available to visitors who need a space for dogs to take care of business and get a bit of exercise. There is still ongoing discussion as to whether dogs will be allowed in the remainder of the Gardens.

Childrens' Area: While the area will have what can be deemed as "traditional" play elements, the intent of this area is to create a botanical discovery or sensory garden, where children can learn about the natural world and ecology. See the Atlanta Botanical Gardens for an idea of the general concepts under consideration. (They also have a really cool website!)

Keep in mind, what is being presented at this juncture are concepts and ideas that the committee has agreed upon. Several details of these structures are still under discussion. Final plans will not be realized for several more weeks.

And for the love of all things sacred, please don't call the Crystal Bridge "the TUBE!!!!!!!!"

7. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Fritter, tube was used in quotes by Larry. Can't help that.

Fritter, tube was used in quotes by Larry. Can't help that.
    I know - but others call it that, as well. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Getting really good feedback on the article. Glad everyone is excited. Great job, thanks!

Plans call for a fountain, children’s area and cafe to be located by the water stage in the southwest corner of the Myriad Gardens. Rendering by The Office of James Burnett

Plans for the Myriad Gardens makeover include a new south grand entryway facing Reno Avenue where there is an unsightly parking lot and loading area.Provided by Oklahoma City Parks Department

A view of the planned water plaza outside that will be converted into an ice rink every winter. Provided by Oklahoma City Parks Department

Plans call for a water plaza to be built in front of a restaurant in that will be converted into an ice rink every winter. Rendering by The Office of James Burnett

Fireworks explode over an amphitheater and grand lawn to be added to the Myriad Gardens with a new Devon tower shown to the left. Rendering by The Office of James Burnett

Aerial of park (courtesy of OKC Central) - notice Devon Tower

If all stays on track, by 2014, we WILL be a first class, Tier 2 City.

sweet!

12. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

thanks Warren. FYI - the paper did a beautiful large display of what I consider to be the best rendering of the project. This may be a day where you may want to pick up a copy of the paper rather than just going to NewsOK. A computer screen can't capture this image like the paper did.
    I'll just have to have the relatives mail me a paper copy Steve, let me know of a good time to talk. I know you're busy (we both are), so whenever is most convenient for you.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Steve, any clue as to where Shakespeare in the Park is going to be held or will it be cancelled next year?

14. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Good question on Shakespeare - I'll ask. OKC Pulse, sorry I've not been available. Can you call me 4:30 p.m. cst today?

15. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

Good question on Shakespeare - I'll ask. OKC Pulse, sorry I've not been available. Can you call me 4:30 p.m. cst today?
    That's quite alright, Steve. I'll be in transit when 4:30PM rolls around, but I will still give you a call. Don't worry, I take the bus Can you PM your number as I have a new cell phone and none of my contacts.

I leave work at 4PM and I arrive at my house at almost 6PM. Gotta love Houston traffic!
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Just to clarify, Houston and OKC have the same time zone........ I kid, I kid.

17. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

I thought OKCPulse was living in the west coast, not Houston. I was wrong.

Steve, no harm intended, just being onry.

19. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

That's cool. It seems like there are few big time OKC boosters on this site living in Seattle and I had it in my head OKC Pulse was one of them.

I'm very excited about this. I am so proud of OKC.

I love the proposed ideas. I can't wait to see the new and improved gardens. It keeps getting better and better.

22. Default Re: Myriad Gardens to get makeover...

I love the redesign. I had a sneak peek at a detailed map several weeks ago and I think it will be a tremendous improvement. And it will be done very soon!
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

So now the Myriad Gardens are going to have everything that was supposed to go in the new Central Park: Fountains, pool, skating rink, children's area, great lawn, amphitheater, and restaurants. Won't the Central Park just be redundant? Why not make the Myriad Gardens a garden and leave all the other stuff for the Central Park? Will Maps 3 be a harder sell if the public sees that all those amenities promised for the new park will already be incorporated in the Myriad Gardens?

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusNYC View Post
    So now the Myriad Gardens are going to have everything that was supposed to go in the new Central Park: Fountains, pool, skating rink, children's area, great lawn, amphitheater, and restaurants. Won't the Central Park just be redundant? Why not make the Myriad Gardens a garden and leave all the other stuff for the Central Park? Will Maps 3 be a harder sell if the public sees that all those amenities promised for the new park will already be incorporated in the Myriad Gardens?
    As someone who would rather see the new park as a grand swath of land without a lot of amenities, I'm all for putting all the "stuff" in the Myriad Gardens and leaving the big park similar to Central Park. But, there will be a big pond, and Union Station will be a destination spot, I'm sure. I would guess there will be other amenities as well. It's hard to have too many fountains. We still haven't seen the master plan for the park and perhaps will not unless MAPS passes, as maybe the city has only paid for a less detailed plan until they know they need a more comprehensive one.

Also, are things being shifted, or is the overall park space seen as ample enough to have similar features in both

Thread Information