Widgets Magazine
Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 85354555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1494

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Default Re: Myriad Gardens

wonderful pictures

I know we all shouldn't rush out to the parks, but the Tulips at MBG are amazing and definitely makes one feel better walking among them. My wife and I went out last Wednesday Mar 18, my birthday and the first day where dining in was banned, and it made me happier...

^

Getting out and walking in the parks or anywhere else is not only fine, it's good for you.

Nobody is congregating so keeping social distance is pretty inherent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Getting out and walking in the parks or anywhere else is not only fine, it's good for you.

Nobody is congregating so keeping social distance is pretty inherent.

My wife has been taking the kids out to walking trails and stuff to get them out and about while still maintaining social distancing.

Yes, as long as you are only going out with people you are self-isolating with, and staying 6' away from everyone else, by all means go outside, we need to stay sane through this. My "go-to" has been biking, as it's pretty much impossible for anyone to get within 6' of you when you're on a bike. But as long as you avoid the more crowded parks, walking should be fine as well.

Blog Entries

Myriad Gardens Foundation approved for PPP (not a judgement, just an FYI).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-07 221217.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	16227

That one newspaper that everyone here loves is reporting that the Crystal Bridge will receive a complete makeover. Going to be completely gutted

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    That one newspaper that everyone here loves is reporting that the Crystal Bridge will receive a complete makeover. Going to be completely gutted
    Pretty sure that is old news... I thought I read something about it before the pandemic started to ramp up

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Pretty sure that is old news... I thought I read something about it before the pandemic started to ramp up
    Ah gotcha. My bad!

Press release:

Inasmuch Foundation makes lead gift to renovate Crystal Bridge at Myriad Botanical Gardens

Inasmuch Foundation has committed $2.5 million to the second phase of a capital campaign to renovate the Crystal Bridge Conservatory at Myriad Botanical Gardens. This phase features a complete renovation of the interior conservatory spaces to enhance visitor engagement with a more diverse plant collection, interactive educational exhibits, improved ADA accessibility, and a museum-quality gift shop.

The announcement was made today. The Visitor Center lobby of the Crystal Bridge was renovated as part of the first phase of the capital campaign and completed in 2018, made possible by a major gift from Devon Energy. Phase one also included renovation of lower-level classroom space for use by John Rex Middle School and a new horticulture classroom, funded by Inasmuch Foundation.

Since its opening in 1988, (pictured above) the Crystal Bridge Conservatory has remained largely unchanged. As the centerpiece of the Gardens, it is home to thousands of tropical and desert plants within 13,000 square feet, divided into two distinct climates: wet and dry. To see the history timeline visit here.

The forthcoming renovation will update aging infrastructure, allow for a more diverse plant collection with both permanent and rotating exhibits, as well as new and enhanced water elements, circulation paths and sitting areas. A terrace feature will overlook the conservatory and add much-needed educational programming and venue space. Improved accessibility, including an elevator, will enable people of all ages and physical abilities to fully enjoy the space.

“The Crystal Bridge at Myriad Botanical Gardens is such a recognizable structure in downtown Oklahoma City,” said Bob Ross, chairman and CEO of Inasmuch Foundation. “Staff at the Gardens continually strive to create wonderful spaces and learning opportunities for Oklahoma City. When I learned of plans for reimagining the tropical plant conservatory to create a superb visitor experience, I knew Inasmuch Foundation would want to support this initiative. The second phase of the Crystal Bridge renovation capitalizes on the momentum of current downtown development.”

Maureen Heffernan, CEO of Myriad Gardens Foundation and Scissortail Park Foundation, said she appreciates the visionary leadership demonstrated by the Inasmuch Foundation and its major giving support.

“This gift enables Myriad Botanical Gardens to significantly improve our Conservatory experience so it is as transformational as the outdoor renovation was completed in 2011. An updated and more engaging Conservatory will help attract visitors from all of the major downtown development near the Gardens including Scissortail Park and the Convention Center and Omni Hotel. This investment will further strengthen the Gardens’ standing as one of the premier cultural attractions in Oklahoma City.”
    Adds Jim Tolbert, Chair Emeritus of Myriad Gardens Foundation, “The interior of the Crystal Bridge has not been renewed since its opening. This visionary gift from Inasmuch Foundation will allow a vast enhancement of both its educational and visitor experience.”

Wow!

Pumpkins?

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Pumpkins?
    Yep.

That's really neat.

From yesterday:

They did this intentionally; on a previous St. Patrick's Day it was done by pranksters and some of the wildlife was harmed.

Makes sense, do it on purpose with something that will be harmless. Festive and heads off the potential pranks.

Doesn't *quite* match the ambiance of when Chicago and Savannah do it, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myriad Gardens.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	16776

Taken from BOK Park Plaza yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They did this intentionally; on a previous St. Patrick's Day it was done by pranksters and some of the wildlife was harmed.

The prankster from a few years ago is looking down with approval. RIP, Jim.

I'm sure it has been in the works for a while, but it would have been nice if they could have timed the Crystal Bridge renovations to occur during the acute phase of the pandemic.

Press release:

EPIC! Plant Sale of Crystal Bridge Conservatory Plants, Saturday, May 29

Oklahoma City, OK -- Shop for a small piece of Crystal Bridge Conservatory history and benefit Myriad Botanical Gardens on Saturday, May 29. Our EPIC! plant sale will be held on the west side of the Conservatory. Members of the Gardens get FIRST PICK from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. The sale will then open to the public from noon to 5 p.m. This sale for those plants that will not be transferred to the new interior after its renovation. Hundreds of plants both large and small will be sold including tropicals suitable for houseplants like anthuriums, calatheas, philodendrons and clivias, as well as desert and succulent plants such as aloe, agaves, kalanchoe and cacti.

Cuttings of dozens of species will also be available, so guests will have an opportunity to buy a literal piece of Oklahoma City history. Social Greenery will be on hand selling pots both large and small and providing guests the opportunity to pot their plants up onsite. Larger pots from Calvert’s Plant Interiors will also be available for purchase. Staff of the Gardens horticulture department will available to answer questions and provide growing tips.

Crystal Bridge Conservatory Complete Renovation Project
    For the first time in its 30-plus year history, the Crystal Bridge Conservatory in Myriad Botanical Gardens will undergo a complete renovation of its interior spaces. Among the many upgrades designed to enhance visitor experience are a new path layouts, educational exhibits, improved ADA accessibility and a new gift shop. Additional features of the $9.7 million project include improvements to the Conservatory’s interior aging infrastructure, a more diverse plant collection with both permanent and rotating exhibits, as well as new and enhanced water elements, circulation paths, and sitting areas. A second level terrace feature will overlook the conservatory and add much-needed educational programming and venue space. Improved accessibility, including an elevator, will enable people for all ages and physical abilities to fully enjoy the space. Expected reopening timeline is fall 2022.

Free and open to the public, Myriad Botanical Gardens provides 15 acres of ornamental gardens and grounds that include a children’s garden and carousel, native prairie garden, shade gardens, tree and shrub collections, lake with terraced gardens and a diverse collection of ornamental flowering perennials and grasses.

The Gardens offer a variety of horticultural educational programs for all ages ranging from lectures, classes, workshops and walking tours to seasonal festivals. The grounds also feature The Crystal Bridge Conservatory, home to thousands of tropical and desert plants. (Currently closed through fall 2022 for renovation). With more than 500,000 visitors annually, the Gardens is managed by Myriad Gardens Foundation, a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that partners with corporate and community groups to enhance the educational, aesthetic, cultural and economic development of Oklahoma City.

^^^ Pete thanks for that link I’m definitely going and probably will buy some plants.

PS, the theatre is back open. I have not yet seen anything here but I need to go check out a play and I will do just that this summer:

https://kfor.com/news/great-state/th...he-right-time/

Thread Information