Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Default Re: Myriad Gardens Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    Well, 'fine dining' is kind of a vague term, anyway. I think of it as a place requiring a coat and tie. Others might classify La Baguette and the Museum Café as 'fine dining', even though you don't have to dress up to get in the door.

Is there some generally accepted definition I don't know about?
    Welcome to Oklahoma City.

It could become "the place" for those special occasion dinners and wedding proposals.
    About a month ago, I went to a wedding and reception at a restaurant in downtown L.A. that is adjacent to a small park (much smaller than the Myriad Gardens). It was a gorgeous setting and one of the nicest, funnest weddings I've been to.

The wedding was set in the garden, then we all walked over to an outside area where there were appetizers and wine served. Shortly thereafter, we were seated for dinner and all the typical toasts, then another area hosted a DJ and dancing. It was fantastic, with the skyscrapers as a backdrop.

This is what a fine restaurant in TMG could easily become. The setting would be stunning and would be different than anything else in town. Tents or some other covered structure could easily be used to guard against weather concerns and to bridge the restaurant to the gardens.

Think Tavern on the Green for OKC.

The following are from the actual wedding I attended:

I know the Skirvin went more casual with their restaurant and the Colcord downshifted with theirs as well. But this is a completely unique setting and it should be treated as such.

3. Default Re: Myriad Gardens Restaurant

^^ my sentiments exactly, as was expressed in the other thread!

OKC needs a signature, upscale, downtown restaurant - for those special occasions, special guests, and top business. A restaurant where you get dressed to the nines to be downtown, no matter if you are family or kids - make them conform to a higher class standard. Remember the days when getting dressed to the nines was associated with going downtown?

That is what I hope Devon has in mind - not to create barriers, but instead to raise the standard of OKC dining, and perhaps give a nice injection of competition to the other 'upscale' family restaurants that are most common in OKC today.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

For those of you that aren't familiar with Tavern on the Green in NYC's Central Park...

Why the heck couldn't OKC have something like this?? Think of all the weddings, Christmas Parties, anniversaries and other special occasions. There are lots of nice restaurants in town but nothing truly special like this:

Pete, are those the as it is images after reopening as a visitor's center, or are those the pre-closure images?

http://topnews360.tmcnet.com/topics/...ors-center.htm

6. Default Re: Myriad Gardens Restaurant

If NYC can't keep Tavern on the Green open and profitable, I really wonder about OKC's ability to support a white tablecloth restaurant in the Myriad Gardens. I would really hate to see something put in and set up to fail. Something unique but not so formal would be much more down OKC's tastes at this point

How about the possibility of something like we see at many airports. Some of the restaurants have a separate walk-up section for those wanting to buy food to take on a plane. The upscale restaurant could do that with some less expensive choices for those who don't want to go in to a white table cloth setting.

8. Default Re: Myriad Gardens Restaurant

i think that is what the plan is, have the pavillian area for the walk-ups, have the restaurant for the formal dining area/courtyard.

mug, OK has enough of the places you're talking about. We need a signature restaurant.

I CAN see why tavern in NYC failed, because NYC has a TON!!! of white table cloth restaurants and the focus of central park is NOT the same as will be the focus of MG. travern in NO way was NYC's signature restaurant but this will be OKC's in MG. Different markets, this restaurant will likely be OKC's top restaurant, it WILL get business and having it in MG will ONLY help downtown in general.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    If NYC can't keep Tavern on the Green open and profitable, I really wonder about OKC's ability to support a white tablecloth restaurant in the Myriad Gardens. I would really hate to see something put in and set up to fail. Something unique but not so formal would be much more down OKC's tastes at this point
    Local politics killed Tavern on the Green. The city wanted to switch operators and the one they picked declared bankruptcy just after being awarded the contract.

I vote for a Ruth's Chris.

I recently visited both Red Prime and Mahogany for the first time each.

Both were exceptional in all respects. Red Prime was first and during the week but I made a reservation through Open Table. I was glad I did because the place was not full but surprisingly busy I thought. There were a few men with jackets but most were just in slacks and shirts. The tab was over $100 per person. Parking was no problem at all and I was not approached by any people on the street.

Someone told me I probably didn't need a reservation for Mahogany but I checked with the restaurant before leaving and was advised I might have a long wait. I opted for a next day reservation. The place was pretty full and people were waiting in line. Another great experience but much farther drive for me. A negative was being accosted in the parking lot by an apparently down-and-out couple asking for money. Surprised me when the man tapped on my window. Again over $100 per person and more coats on men but certainly not everyone.

The Petroleum Club used to have a pretty strict dress code but tempered by having a few jackets and ties handy for visitors who were inappropriately dressed. And I remember years ago seeing something similar in New Orleans at finer places.

My guess is that if whatever restaurant ends up in the Myriad Gardens that it will be successful if the food and service is sufficiently good regardless of the dress code.

It seems to me though that people just simply do not dress up as much as we did before. I know the last time I attended a symphony performance I was surprised at how casual the dress was. And that's not a really inexpensive endeavor either.

Another thing that occurs to me is that the level of restaurant quality is so much better now than years ago. When I was younger the really good places just stood out because there were so many mediocre places. Now it seems to me that there are quite a few really good restaurants competing at pretty high levels.

I'm surprised so many on this forum are ignoring the expertise of our best local operators. On paper, the upscale park restaurant seems like a good idea. But the Oklahoman article was eye opening to me. Chris Lower, Ryan Parrot, and Keith Paul, among others, are pleading with the Power that Be (ahem) to reconsider the concept. These people know what they're doing more than anyone on this thread when it comes to OKC dining at every price point. Please listen to them.

12. Default Re: Myriad Gardens Restaurant

Isn't there supposed to be 2 restaurants goin in already at Devon Tower?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm surprised so many on this forum are ignoring the expertise of our best local operators. On paper, the upscale park restaurant seems like a good idea. But the Oklahoman article was eye opening to me. Chris Lower, Ryan Parrot, and Keith Paul, among others, are pleading with the Power that Be (ahem) to reconsider the concept. These people know what they're doing more than anyone on this thread when it comes to OKC dining at every price point. Please listen to them.
    An adviser friend once told me that he could have earned his clients millions of dollars if they would have just followed one simple piece of advice, namely, to refrain from going into the restaurant business.

He said he was surprised at how many people who were otherwise very successful in so many endeavors wanted to try the restaurant business with a near 100% failure rate.

I've advised many people who considered going into the restaurant business. One woman was convinced that she would be successful opening a restaurant because her little granddaughter told her she makes the best PB&J "in the world." Another couple had received a financial settlement after the husband was permanently & seriously disabled following an industrial accident. A Bricktown building owner convinced them to masterlease the entire multi-story building and rent out what they didn't need. Lacking business experience of any kind, the eventually paid the entire settlement amount to the building owner - one month at a time - before ultimately defaulting on the lease.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Are these the same people running successful high-end dinning all the while saying it can’t be done.

If NYC can't keep Tavern on the Green open and profitable, I really wonder about OKC's ability to support a white tablecloth restaurant in the Myriad Gardens.
    It was wildly successful for over 75 years!

And when it closed, it was the second-highest grossing restaurant in the country.

Anyway, the place doesn't have to be ultra high-end, just nice and not yet another casual place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Are these the same people running successful high-end dinning all the while saying it can’t be done.
    I think you're alluding to the possibility that they might be giving bad advice in order to prevent competition.

But from what I've been told several successful restaurants in an area help other successful restaurants be even more successful. On the other hand a poorly performing restaurant is detrimental to everyone. So my guess is that the people giving the advice have more to lose if the concept is not successful.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I think you're alluding to the possibility that they might be giving bad advice in order to prevent competition.

But from what I've been told several successful restaurants in an area help other successful restaurants be even more successful. On the other hand a poorly performing restaurant is detrimental to everyone. So my guess is that the people giving the advice have more to lose if the concept is not successful.
    It does seem like contradictory input if you ask me. They claim upscale dinning won't work, but yet they do it. Then they claim that grouping restraunts is the best model, but they discourage the city from doing it.

Kerry - Not contradictory at all. They claim that upscale dining won't work in THIS LOCATION. Any retail business - restaurants included - live or die by their location. Pick the wrong corner on the right intersection - death. Pick the wrong side of the right street - death. And they're not discouraging grouping in MG, they're saying that upscale dining shouldn't be part of that group.

By the way, these aren't exclusively white tablecloth guys. Chris Lower is behind Big Truck Tacos and The Metro, which are at opposite ends of the price and experience spectra.

I'd like to see the location be used as a restaurant incubator. Not sure how feasible that'd be or how the business model would work from the city's end, but to play host to a certain chef for a limited period of time, maybe 6 weeks, after which he may not renew his lease for x amount of years might be cool. Have 'em submit proposed menus for a panel who could advise as to whether they could make a business work that way. Let them do their own marketing, let them compete for time in the space. I think that'd be pretty neat. It'd also definitely keep the place fresh and new, and occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'd like to see the location be used as a restaurant incubator. Not sure how feasible that'd be or how the business model would work from the city's end, but to play host to a certain chef for a limited period of time, maybe 6 weeks, after which he may not renew his lease for x amount of years might be cool. Have 'em submit proposed menus for a panel who could advise as to whether they could make a business work that way. Let them do their own marketing, let them compete for time in the space. I think that'd be pretty neat. It'd also definitely keep the place fresh and new, and occupied.
    So I go in, have a great experience and two months later wanna go back to celebrate, or entertain visitors, clients, whomever, only to find it's now something else entirely? I vote nah, but different strokes and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    So I go in, have a great experience and two months later wanna go back to celebrate, or entertain visitors, clients, whomever, only to find it's now something else entirely? I vote nah, but different strokes and all that.
    And if the concept took off, it'd be somewhere else. If not, it'd be nowhere else.

But whatever. I don't have a dog in this hunt. Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll patronize it.

Default Myriad Gardens Acquires Three Downtown Buildings

Just curious as to their intentions for this area and since I am not a subscriber to the Journal Record I can't read the article in it's entirety.
    http://journalrecord.com/2010/10/25/...dings-for-69m/

Default Re: Myriad Gardens Acquires Three Downtown Buildings

MBG staff offices and parking, for the most part.

25. Default Re: Myriad Gardens Acquires Three Downtown Buildings

Parking? Elaborate please. Is there already a parking structure or lot in place, or will one of the buildings come down for that purpose?

Thread Information