Widgets Magazine
Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 954555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1494

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Default Re: Myriad Gardens

Pumpkinville opens tomorrow (Friday).

The lake is temporarily low for maintenance.

great pics ..... as always

4. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

As great as Scissortail Park is, Myriad Gardens is still #1 in OKC if not the country (still).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    As great as Scissortail Park is, Myriad Gardens is still #1 in OKC if not the country (still).
    When I went to a ULI Fall Meeting in San Francisco, the Myriad Gardens won an international award against pretty stout competition. I'm pretty sure Devon Tower won an award there as well. It was a significant moment of civic pride for me.

You can see in that 2nd photo that the Crystal Bridge is completely emptied out as renovation continues.

Should look very different when complete.

India food and arts festival taking place October 24th:

https://www.ifafok.com/

Great pictures!

I bet if you showed that bottom picture, with the gardens and the density of buildings behind it, to anyone in another not state not familiar with OKC, they would be very surprised it was Oklahoma City.

9. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

^ exactly.

The second to last appears even more dense and if a person didn't know they might well assume it to be built up like New York or Chicago.

and also, if OKC had some natural features beyond just flat prairie (like a mountain/hill or prominent water feature) that they'd also say how beautiful OKC really is. Which brings my thought that OKC needs to go above and beyond with code enforcement, landscaping/sidewalking, and beautification of neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    ^ exactly.

The second to last appears even more dense and if a person didn't know they might well assume it to be built up like New York or Chicago.

and also, if OKC had some natural features beyond just flat prairie (like a mountain/hill or prominent water feature) that they'd also say how beautiful OKC really is. Which brings my thought that OKC needs to go above and beyond with code enforcement, landscaping/sidewalking, and beautification of neighborhoods.
    Don’t get me started on code violation. That office really is too lenient. It takes several reports before they actually see the violation on properties sometimes. And even then they mark it as no violation when it is a textbook definition of a code violation at times

I have long advocated a massive tree-planting initiative along roadways, highways etc only to be told that trees “don’t survive well in Oklahoma weather.” These pictures would suggest the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I have long advocated a massive tree-planting initiative along roadways, highways etc only to be told that trees “don’t survive well in Oklahoma weather.” These pictures would suggest the opposite.
    Trees do well in Oklahoma. Just gotta water them and care for them. My neighborhood is prime example of that. Everyone else has sticks from when houses were built whereas my tree is massive already because I care for it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Not sure who told you trees won't grow in Oklahoma. There are trees all over. There are some types of trees that don't do well here... can't plant Palm Trees. If you match trees to the ground and the climate then they are fine. You just can't plant and ignore trees, but that is mostly true anywhere.

14. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

Here is an example we can benchmark a positive about our sister city: Tulsa is beautiful not only because of the land changes but also because they too went on a tree planting spree. Tulsa gets the same weather as OKC, only a few more inches of rain than here. So I don't know why OKC officials take the stance like OKC is Albuquerque or something. ..

Come on OKC - let's get an official tree planting and landscaping initiative going (that's not MAPS). And btw, also fund maintenance and watering of trees - THEN people's opinion about OKC being trashy looking or dirty will come to an end just like our sister has shown us.

Blog Entries

OKC tree study done in 2016

https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublish...53614873670000

(apologies if it's already been posted)

But also, since we're on the topic, buy a tree from MBG: https://oklahomacitybotanicalgardens...ay-november-6/

I like what is done at this interchange in Wichita:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6796...7i16384!8i8192

Kind of off topic but Wichita is really growing on me as an underrated city. I’ve been going more and more on my trips I’ll make to Colorado and Utah from OKC and each time I’ll stop and I’ve been staying in Wichita for a day or two at a time and always find fun and new stuff to do.

Blog Entries

Will be nice to be able to visit by rail soon-ish-I-hope

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Kind of off topic but Wichita is really growing on me as an underrated city. I’ve been going more and more on my trips I’ll make to Colorado and Utah from OKC and each time I’ll stop and I’ve been staying in Wichita for a day or two at a time and always find fun and new stuff to do.
    I'm actually a big fan of Wichita. Lots of empty store fronts still but Olde Town is nice and it's overall a cool downtown area and the eastside with all the old houses is also cool.

Old town looked like a bigger version of Bricktown. There’s a cigar shop that I’ve been hitting up with a cool lounge. It’s owned by a Vietnamese lady IIRC. Really nice vibes there but the winters suuuuuck. Cozy Inn burgers in Salina though is usually the reason I’ll head north but I-70 in western Kansas puts me to sleep.

Talk to Chad (Urbanized); he is a wealth of knowledge on so many things and one of them is the Wichita area IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Talk to Chad (Urbanized); he is a wealth of knowledge on so many things and one of them is the Wichita area IIRC.
    It’ll be really cool to take a train up there one day.

Cool little video about the renovations that show the interior and show some of the plans for the space.

https://youtu.be/qXzUdkb46K4

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Cool little video about the renovations that show the interior and show some of the plans for the space.

Thank you for sharing. It’s crazy to see an empty Crystal Bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

I enjoyed this, thank you.

Thread Information