Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1494

Thread: Myriad Gardens

Default Re: Myriad Gardens

What is the big deal? The City should be doing this themselves instead of relying on cultural vigilantes. I like it and think it looks good.

Myriad Gardens tweeted about the water being green in a positive tone. Are we sure this was a prank?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    What is the big deal? The City should be doing this themselves instead of relying on cultural vigilantes. I like it and think it looks good.
    Myriad Gardens the target of St. Patrick?s Day prank | KFOR.com

That might be fine if there is no damage. My concern would be about the fish and vegetation.

Blog Entries

Myriad Gardens said Tuesday morning the ducks appeared to be afraid of the green water and wouldn't get in until later in the day. However, we know the copper-based dye is not harmful to wildlife.
    Vandals Dye Water Green At Myriad Gardens For Second Year In A R - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Maybe this will make for a nice tradition

6. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

If I was the Botanical Gardens this is how I would handle this situation.....

Since they have no idea what the vandals are going to use from year to year that could possibly hurt/kill the fish or wildlife, or stain the architecture...... I would simply find the most non-toxic easy to clean up green dye they make and I'd intentionally dye the gardens a day or so in advance of St Patrick's Day as part of (as Stickman mentioned) a new gardens 'tradition.'

If the garden's dyed the water themselves and maybe did some sort of St. Patrick's Day themed kids event for the day, it would remove the desire for vandals to sneak in and dye the water with something potentially dangerous or destructive. Wallah!

*(revision) Sorry, Just-The-Facts, didn't see where you were already on track with this......

There must be something safe enough based on the pictures I'm seeing of Chicago.

They tested the water last year and it was completely safe. As for St. Patrik's Day festivities - they did that yesterday at the water stage, which was one reason so many people were there yesterday. They had Irish dancing and music. It was a really entertaining.

They found the dye pack in the water.. it was safe for the wildlife. the Myriad Gardens said the only draw back is the clean up and since they are a nonprofit that is expensive. But I would think it would fade away in a week so I don't know why there is much of a cleanup cost.

I think they enjoy the anonymous check that follows.

The article says that last year, the "vandals" used an attorney to anonymously donate $9700 for cleanup costs.

Then this year the MG officials say cleanup will cost around $1000. Sounds to me like the gardens profit off of this.

Most in-the-open money laundering scheme ever!!!!

Blog Entries

last year it was more wide spread because the water features were on so it wasn't just contained to the pond.

How do they clean this up?

How do they clean this up?
    That was what I wondered.. as to why it is expensive to clean up. I would think the dye would fade in a week or so.

14. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

I saw workers with what looked like pumps and they were skimming the top sucking the concentrations of dyed water out.

I guess this is where accounting come in. The worker was getting paid no matter what he worked on but on his time sheet he puts 20 hours 'cleaning pond' so they say it costs X dollars to clean it.

I guess this is where accounting come in. The worker was getting paid no matter what he worked on but on his time sheet he puts 20 hours 'cleaning pond' so they say it costs X dollars to clean it.
    Which mean all the time that was to be done somewhere else is either delayed, not being done this week, contracted out or done on overtime. Also as mentioned above it was not just one person.

deleted: double post

18. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

Snapped this the day it happened.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0128.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	489.4 KB 
ID:	10458

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Which mean all the time that was to be done somewhere else is either delayed, not being done this week, contracted out or done on overtime. Also as mentioned above it was not just one person.
    Well, I meant it in the sense that there isn't a direct $1,000 cost that was unbudgeted. For all we know, water skimming is done every month anyhow.

Well, I meant it in the sense that there isn't a direct $1,000 cost that was unbudgeted. For all we know, water skimming is done every month anyhow.
    Regardless it is vadalism and work that wouldn't have to be done otherwise. for me I think the green water is kind of fun and should be a tradition and I would bet you could give it a week and it would fade away. but I am not gonna argue that they are inflating cleanup costs when its still vadalism they have to deal with if its not something they planned for.

Duplicate post

22. Default Re: Myriad Gardens

Last year it was much more expensive due to the staining of water features and concrete. They had to have rocks and concrete professionally cleaned (steam cleaned, I believe). There was associated contractor and/or equipment cost. This year probably required only some spot cleaning, supplies, maybe some new filters, etc.

Blog Entries

Good to see that another thing OKC has done is well respected internationally. In this sense, I guess this makes MG "world class".

It is easy to look at the negative aspects of things happening in OKC like aspects of P180, but we need to also applaud the positive things the same efforts are producing. I for one am proud of how far OKC has come in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Good to see that another thing OKC has done is well respected internationally. In this sense, I guess this makes MG "world class".

It is easy to look at the negative aspects of things happening in OKC like aspects of P180, but we need to also applaud the positive things the same efforts are producing. I for one am proud of how far OKC has come in the last decade.

Thread Information