Widgets Magazine
Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 358081828384858687 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2161

Thread: Oklahoma liquor laws

Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Would the backseat/floor of a crew cab truck be adequate for the law?

Personally I could probably still reach everything back there fairly easy if I wanted to with the exception of passenger rear, so just curious because it seems like it defeats the point.

I

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    thank you for the correction ..

http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInf...2&Session=2100

i guess walkers and bikers are sol
    A few months back when this was all being figured out, I brought that up with Greg Horton who was reporting on it. He actually reached out to ABLE's general counsel and it sounds like walkers and bikers **should** be able to use this as well. I'm just not so sure how many restaurants will be interested in interpreting the law that way

https://twitter.com/expastor/status/...389453827?s=20

3. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Well my only experience was talking to The Mont. They hand it to you and it is sealed. Only to go and if you have a drink at the restaurant they won't sell you one. But they just hand it to you and it says don't drink on the property.

That is what I was told at least.

4. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Quote Originally Posted by 3nglnd View Post
    A few months back when this was all being figured out, I brought that up with Greg Horton who was reporting on it. He actually reached out to ABLE's general counsel and it sounds like walkers and bikers **should** be able to use this as well. I'm just not so sure how many restaurants will be interested in interpreting the law that way

https://twitter.com/expastor/status/...389453827?s=20
    It will depend completely on how each business interprets the law. For the couple of months I had an expired DL I carried my Concealed Carry License and an email from a lady in the ABLE legal dept. saying that ABLE was fine with that for an ID. I still got told at a few places that it had to be a current DL.

Strange you can't do it (legally) if you ride a bike or walk up. Sucks for the people that live walking/biking distance from somewhere. Probably is more of an indication of the lawmakers not considering this fact. Or they did, but thought this would increase drinking in public?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah that’s kind of weird. If you want to drink and drive it’s not hard to do without ordering a to go drink. Plus the to go drinks have that tamper proof seal which shows if it has been opened.
    The anti-liquor folks have used these kinds of arguments in opposition to literally every liquor law, starting with liquor by the drink. There's no logic here. It's already illegal to have an open container, so I don't understand what difference it would be if the drink were in the back seat or trunk as long as it is sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The anti-liquor folks have used these kinds of arguments in opposition to literally every liquor law, starting with liquor by the drink. There's no logic here. It's already illegal to have an open container, so I don't understand what difference it would be if the drink were in the back seat or trunk as long as it is sealed.
    I’m not really sure if you were arguing against what I said or what. But I basically say the last thing you did in the last sentence that I made.

And the reasoning for my initial point was that if we’re so worried about people drinking and driving then why not just regress go back to prohibition and force interlock devices in every car that won’t let it start without making sure you’re not intoxicated. I’ve had two DUIs they are not fun and believe me the interlock devices suck. My point is we don’t need these silly restrictions like the ones that came with the to go liquor law. If you see some asshole driving drunk nab the bastard for it. Simple as that.

But I could easily make the same argument the state allows people to drive drunk by letting bars have parking lots.

Found out something I did not know about retail cashiers selling liquor (Walgreen's is where I found out, but no doubt it applies everywhere). Cashiers can't just be 21 to scan liquor, they have to have an actual "liquor license" (that's what she called it, there's probably a more specific name for it) to scan it, and you have to pay to get one from ABLE. No idea what the requirements are or price is, just thought that was odd. Does each cashier that works in a liquor store have to have one, I wonder?

That is insane. Many states it doesn’t matter how old you are you can sell liquor.

That is insane. Many states it doesn’t matter how old you are you can sell liquor.
    It's a money grab for ABLE, similar to MMJ fees, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    It's a money grab for ABLE, similar to MMJ fees, etc.
    Able seems more like a mob than a government agency lol

Found out something I did not know about retail cashiers selling liquor (Walgreen's is where I found out, but no doubt it applies everywhere). Cashiers can't just be 21 to scan liquor, they have to have an actual "liquor license" (that's what she called it, there's probably a more specific name for it) to scan it, and you have to pay to get one from ABLE. No idea what the requirements are or price is, just thought that was odd. Does each cashier that works in a liquor store have to have one, I wonder?
    This was 20 years ago, but I had to get one when waiting tables in college in order to sell alcohol.

Yes. When you're selling liquor in Oklahoma, wait staff, sales clerks, etc, all have to have a liquor license (in additional to the facility/establishment license). It's about $30. It's something that can be revoked for compliance violations (failure to card, etc). One thing about Oklahoma is that the server/clerk is personally responsible for verifying ID, not selling to intoxicated customers, etc. What's really messed up is that if someone uses a really good fake ID and buys liquor and gets busted, it's a misdemeanor for the customer, but it's a felony for the poor clerk who got fooled by the fake ID. Same thing about failure to ID - It was (and I assume is) pretty much an automatic $2000 fine levied against the employee themselves. It's not a cash grab though, IMO (the permits themselves). Much like gaming licenses for individual dealers, it ensures a level of personal responsibility for the point of contact with the customer.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

The license is called an Employee License. Covered in Title 37A, 2-121. I can't count the number of times a cashier has had to get someone else to ring up beer.

The law for servers is a little confusing. You have to have an Employee License to be a server anywhere that serves alcohol. But you can get the license at 18. But you can only serve, not sell. Don't all servers really sell too?

Yeah, there was some added complexity when I first got the license as I was over 18 but under 21. I don't remember exactly how it worked, something about the bartender having to do a portion of the process that a 21 or above server could do themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Yes. When you're selling liquor in Oklahoma, wait staff, sales clerks, etc, all have to have a liquor license (in additional to the facility/establishment license). It's about $30. It's something that can be revoked for compliance violations (failure to card, etc). One thing about Oklahoma is that the server/clerk is personally responsible for verifying ID, not selling to intoxicated customers, etc. What's really messed up is that if someone uses a really good fake ID and buys liquor and gets busted, it's a misdemeanor for the customer, but it's a felony for the poor clerk who got fooled by the fake ID. Same thing about failure to ID - It was (and I assume is) pretty much an automatic $2000 fine levied against the employee themselves. It's not a cash grab though, IMO (the permits themselves). Much like gaming licenses for individual dealers, it ensures a level of personal responsibility for the point of contact with the customer.
    Actually it is a misdemeanor for selling if it is a first time.

Title 37A. Alcoholic Beverages
    Oklahoma Alcoholic Beverage Control Act
    Prohibited Acts - Violations - Penalties
    Section 6-120 - Penalties for Selling, Furnishing, or Giving an Alcoholic Beverage to a Person Under Twenty-One (21) Years of Age

This Statute Will Go Into Effect
    On: 11/01/2021
    See Historical Data for Current Version
    Cite as: 37A O.S. § 6-120 (OSCN 2021), Prohibited Acts - Violations - Penalties
    A. Any person who shall sell, furnish or give alcoholic beverage to a person under twenty-one (21) years of age shall be guilty of a misdemeanor for a first violation, and upon conviction shall be fined not more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or imprisoned in the county jail for not more than one (1) year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Any person convicted of a second or subsequent violation shall be guilty of a felony, and shall be fined not less than Two Thousand Five Hundred Dollars ($2,500.00) nor more than Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), or imprisoned in the State Penitentiary for not more than five (5) years, or by both such fine and imprisonment. The ABLE Commission shall revoke the license of any person convicted of a violation of this section.

Hopefully this is okay to post here. Normally I’d post it in the legislative bills thread. This is related alcohol laws: https://kfor.com/news/oklahoma-legis...-alcohol-laws/

18. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Hopefully this is okay to post here. Normally I’d post it in the legislative bills thread. This is related alcohol laws: https://kfor.com/news/oklahoma-legis...-alcohol-laws/
    SB1708 needs to add cashiers. Doesn't happen often but I've had grocery store cashiers have to call another employee to ring up beer because they weren't old enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    SB1708 needs to add cashiers. Doesn't happen often but I've had grocery store cashiers have to call another employee to ring up beer because they weren't old enough.
    Definitely should.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Actually, that's not why. I asked a Homeland cashier about it once recently, and she said that each cashier that can ring up wine/beer in a grocery store has to be old enough *and* have some kind of license (from ABLE, maybe), and it costs money to get the license. Could be hearsay, but this was from the mouth of someone that presumably had to go through that process.

Actually, that's not why. I asked a Homeland cashier about it once recently, and she said that each cashier that can ring up wine/beer in a grocery store has to be old enough *and* have some kind of license (from ABLE, maybe), and it costs money to get the license. Could be hearsay, but this was from the mouth of someone that presumably had to go through that process.
    Yes - Unless something has changed recently, anyone who serves alcohol, including wait staff and cashiers, must obtain their OWN liquor license from ABLE. It's around $30.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

^^^^^^
    ABLE requires servers in bars and restaurants to be licensed. It’s an online application and it used to cost around $30. More of a formality, but the server AND the restaurant/bar could get into trouble if the server was unlicensed. Assuming there is now something similar for cashiers at groceries.

It’s possible that someone under 21 could not be licensed, plus some stores might decide to save money by not licensing everyone in the high-turnover cashier role and leaves it up to supervisors to card/ring liquor sales. I see this happen all of the time at the 18th and Classen Homeland.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Dang, jerrywall beat me to the post reply button

24. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Actually we're all right. Yes you have to have an ABLE "Employees License". But you also have to be 18 to get the license. So a 17 year old cashier can't ring up beer or wine for both reasons. And yes they are $30. Which reminds me I need to renew mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It’s possible that someone under 21 could not be licensed, plus some stores might decide to save money by not licensing everyone in the high-turnover cashier role and leaves it up to supervisors to card/ring liquor sales. I see this happen all of the time at the 18th and Classen Homeland.
    Ha, yep, that's the location I asked about it at after this happened when a cashier that looked old enough to ring me up had to get someone.

Thread Information