Widgets Magazine
Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3681828384858687 LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2161

Thread: Oklahoma liquor laws

Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Looks like there could be a push to allow liquor sales at grocery stores. This would be great next step: https://journalrecord.com/2022/08/24...rocery-stores/

“ Walmart and an Oklahoma City political consultant are kicking off a campaign to legalize the sale of whiskey, gin, vodka, tequila and other spirits in grocery stores across the state, according to an association that represents Oklahoma liquor stores.

Robert Jernigan, president of the Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma, said the national retailer has hired Pat McFerron, founding partner of CMA Strategies, to initiate a legislative lobbying campaign. The process will apparently begin in September with an organizational meeting involving alcohol wholesalers, distributors, industry lobbyists and associated services. Retail liquor store owners were not invited.

Walmart spent nearly $5 million in its push to overhaul state alcohol laws in 2016, when State Question 792 was passed, allowing wine and full-strength beer to be sold in Oklahoma grocery stores for the first time.

The retailer wanted spirits to be included in that state question, Jernigan said. But spirits did not poll well at the time, so strategists dropped them to make SQ 792 passage more likely.

Voters ultimately approved the measure by a 65.6% margin, marking the most significant modernization of Oklahoma alcohol law since state voters approved liquor by the drink in 1984. But liquor stores paid the price as consumers shifted beer and wine purchases to grocery and convenience stores.

Jernigan said liquor stores across the state saw sales drop 30% or more, forcing dozens of them to close their doors.
    If Walmart is successful in this new effort, the resulting law could devastate the liquor retail industry, prompting closure of up to 500 liquor stores across the state, leaving 50 to 100 survivors. Only the largest stores with adequate financial resources could make it through, he said.

CMA’s McFerron said he was not available to comment on the effort this week, but he would be available to discuss it next week. According to its website, CMA offers grassroots advocacy services as well as campaign and government relations consulting. CMA says it is the most broad-based and capable firm in Oklahoma and that it is unrivaled in the industry.
    An email was sent to Walmart’s corporate offices seeking comment on Wednesday, but no response was received before deadline.

The effort is likely to succeed, said Kathy Hallren, owner of Joe’s Wine & Spirits in Norman and former vice president of the liquor store association.

“This conservative state voted for medicinal marijuana four years ago, and it’ll probably vote for recreational marijuana. It’s the Wild West in that area,” she said. “In light of that, spirits in grocery stores will probably pass.”
    “I’m not a conservative, telling people how to run their lives, but this just leaves no room for regulation,” she said.
    Hallren said she’s concerned about the young people. Alcohol is one of the most common shoplifting targets, and if spirits go into grocery stores and convenience stores, they’ll be even easier for teens to steal.

“That’ll make it easier for alcohol poisoning or getting behind the wheel of a car and all the bad decisions people make when they’re young.”

Shoplifting isn’t the only concern, Jernigan said. The fake ID industry is rampant with young people purchasing fake IDs online for $100 from dealers in China, and the IDs are perfect. Even the police can’t distinguish them.
    Jernigan said he has a lot of experience discerning the IDs young people hand him, but he wonders how much attention they’ll get from convenience store clerks or grocery store cashiers.

Nearly six years have gone by since voters passed SQ 792, said Jernigan, who was not surprised to see an email about Walmart’s organizational meeting.

“We knew this was coming.”

I'm all for sales in the grocery stores. It's so incredibly convenient. Visiting my sister in Louisiana, it's so nice to see the options over the holidays we don't have to go to multiple places to get stuff. Sure, it's not that big of a deal to stop at another place really, and I actually enjoy perusing through a liquor store looking at new things at times, but sometimes I just want to grab something at the grocery store while I'm there. I think it's good to have options.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I'm all for sales in the grocery stores. It's so incredibly convenient. Visiting my sister in Louisiana, it's so nice to see the options over the holidays we don't have to go to multiple places to get stuff. Sure, it's not that big of a deal to stop at another place really, and I actually enjoy perusing through a liquor store looking at new things at times, but sometimes I just want to grab something at the grocery store while I'm there. I think it's good to have options.
    ^ totally agree. I wonder if this would help with pricing and/or getting more allocated items into the state. My local liquor store always has a few bottles of Buffalo Trace but they sell it for $60. People will pay it since it’s somewhat hard to find around here, but it’s $27 a bottle in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by runOKC View Post
    ^ totally agree. I wonder if this would help with pricing and/or getting more allocated items into the state. My local liquor store always has a few bottles of Buffalo Trace but they sell it for $60. People will pay it since it’s somewhat hard to find around here, but it’s $27 a bottle in Denver.
    Yes exactly! Liquor is very expensive here compared to Louisiana and in Texas where I frequently visit my parents. From what I understand there's really just one liquor distributor here in Oklahoma, or maybe the region, that basically every store gets their stuff from and that's why the prices don't really vary all that much from store to store. I will usually buy my good stuff while I'm in Texas. However this past Christmas in Louisiana I was able to secure a half dozen bottles of Sazarac whiskey and several bottles of Ciroc vodka at Costco for literally a fraction of the cost per bottle I can buy here. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Now now, I'm no alcoholic, but I do like a good deal. This to me would be so very welcome here at home.

Update from TW

Oklahoma liquor-law expansion contemplated

Barbara Hoberock
    OKLAHOMA CITY — The possibility of allowing grocery and convenience stores to sell liquor is being floated by a lobbyist for Walmart and some other retailers who met behind closed doors in Oklahoma City on Tuesday.

In an email to stakeholders, Pat McFerron, founding partner of CMA Strategies, had asked participants what they would like to see changed about the state’s alcohol laws. He also asked what possible change would cause participants to oppose a comprehensive alcohol rewrite.

He also asked: “How willing is your principal to help underwrite an aggressive campaign to change Oklahoma’s laws?”

McFerron is a lobbyist for Walmart.

“Our customers have told us they want more choice and convenience in shopping for spirits in Oklahoma and we are interested in seeing what role we might be able to play in advocating for them on this issue,” Walmart said in a statement provided by McFerron.

People are also reading…

Brett Robinson, president of the Beer Distributors of Oklahoma organization, attended the meeting via Zoom. He said he was grateful that Walmart had sought input from others at this stage.

He said it was a “friendly and frank discussion among peers in the alcohol industry in Oklahoma. We heard what Walmart had to say, and we are going to continue to examine these issues very closely and see how these things unfold.”

He said some representatives from convenience stores also want to sell spirits.

Michael Junk, a lobbyist for QuikTrip, did not return a phone call seeking comment.

To change the state’s liquor laws, lawmakers could put a state question on the ballot.

If that doesn’t happen, supporters could circulate an initiative petition to get a constitutional change on the ballot.

A few years ago, voters decided through a state question to allow grocery stores to sell cold beer and wine.

The Retail Liquor Store Association of Oklahoma opposes letting grocery and convenience stores sell spirits, said Robert Jernigan, the organization’s president.

He said some 11% of the liquor stores in the state closed after the last round of alcohol-modernization laws took effect.

“I lost 30% of my wine revenue overnight when Walmart started selling wine,” he said. “I would expect to lose at least that much in spirits, which would probably do me in.”

He thinks critics would be able to defeat another modernization effort.

Dirk van Veen is vice president of the Retail Liquor Store Association of Oklahoma. He said revenue from sales would go to out-of-state companies under the proposed changes as opposed to staying in Oklahoma because more locally owned package stores would close.
    - https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...c6f1da169.html

I would also imagine this would open the doors for stores like BevMo and Total Wine to move into the market which would be amazing. I really hope this passes soon. It’ll be nice to be able to shop at national stores like that and buy hard liquor at convenience stores.

Blog Entries

I'm not a drinker of alcohol or spirits since my high school and college days. A friend of mine had her face disfigured from an accident in which she was at fault; it was enough to convince me to drop alcohol altogether.

Drinking is one of those choices you make which IMO should be based on your own personal experiences, what you know you can handle. I've seen what it has done to friends, relatives and loved ones.

My mother wasn't a drinker, therefore I chose to emulate that part of her life--she set a good example for me as I've done for my children.

I've observed over time, the devastation and adversity it has done in people's lives by those who can't handle drinking; also witnessed those who drink responsibly.

Whether it puts a pep in your step on a gloomy day or it gives you that calming affect. Wish you, the best among us who make that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I would also imagine this would open the doors for stores like BevMo and Total Wine to move into the market which would be amazing. I really hope this passes soon. It’ll be nice to be able to shop at national stores like that and buy hard liquor at convenience stores.
    And also allow Costco to sell liquor as they do in most parts of Texas.

Their Kirkland brand of vodka and tequila are very good and exceptional values. They also carry some name brands at a good discount.

But I'm like Laramie. It's not that I don't drink at all, I've just cut way, way back. Like one beer a month type of thing.

So, I'm pretty indifferent about this proposed change.

9. Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

I actually envy those people who don't drink or do so in extreme moderation. I admit I probably drink too much. But I either don't want to hurt or don't want to worry about hurting and beer is the only thing I've found that I can legally do that helps. I've tried every legal (for me) method either OTC or prescription and nothing helps. I haven't gone so far as opioids but my Dr and me are firmly against them. So I drink.

Yeah, I’m currently 24 hours sober(from alcohol) which isn’t much. I had to get down to San Clemente and out of Hollywood to get out of the influence in order to do so. I’m also using benzo’s at night to knock me out which helps eliminates the cravings for the next day, and reduces the withdrawal effects from not drinking.

I seriously need to give my body a break because my doctor said it’s not gonna be good if I don’t still with that said, I don’t want to give up drinking for good I love alcohol. I would like Oklahoma to have 24 hours sales and basically have laws similar to Nevada. I wish California what update its laws too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And also allow Costco to sell liquor as they do in most parts of Texas.

Their Kirkland brand of vodka and tequila are very good and exceptional values. They also carry some name brands at a good discount.

But I'm like Laramie. It's not that I don't drink at all, I've just cut way, way back. Like one beer a month type of thing.

So, I'm pretty indifferent about this proposed change.
    Where in Texas does Costco sell liquor?

Quote Originally Posted by traemac View Post
    Don't hold me to location but there is a Costco over in East Dallas or suburb area near IKEA that sells it. It is a separate store in the front as you walk in. My understanding (once again...don't hold me to this) is that you don't need a costco card to buy there,

Exactly was going to be my point. They are all 3rd party vendors and do not sell the Kirkland brand liquors in the ones I've been in. No public held companies can sell liquor in Texas

Exactly was going to be my point. They are all 3rd party vendors and do not sell the Kirkland brand liquors in the ones I've been in. No public held companies can sell liquor in Texas
    I don't recall seeing any kirkland brands either but wasn't looking for those. I thought the selection in general was poor

I thought all Texas costcos sold liquor

I always went to the Costco liquor store off 1604 in San Antonio attached to the actual Costco

You don’t need a membership to buy liquor from the Costco liquor store

They are operated by WB liquor and wine

Texas also allows liquor sales at gas stations/convenience stores, which would also be a nice change here

^^^ In Nevada it’s 24 hour sales. I wish California and Oklahoma would allow that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Texas also allows liquor sales at gas stations/convenience stores, which would also be a nice change here
    Is texas still no alcohol sells after midnight and 1am on saturday?

Yeah, I’m currently 24 hours sober(from alcohol) which isn’t much. I had to get down to San Clemente and out of Hollywood to get out of the influence in order to do so. I’m also using benzo’s at night to knock me out which helps eliminates the cravings for the next day, and reduces the withdrawal effects from not drinking.

I seriously need to give my body a break because my doctor said it’s not gonna be good if I don’t still with that said, I don’t want to give up drinking for good I love alcohol. I would like Oklahoma to have 24 hours sales and basically have laws similar to Nevada. I wish California what update its laws too.
    Don't sell yourself short. One day sober is still one day free from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Don't sell yourself short. One day sober is still one day free from it.
    Thanks and I still haven’t had a drink since so I’m feeling a lot better. It’s amazing how much better you feel when you give it a break.

State of Washington pursuing biometric identification for alcohol sales: https://www.route-fifty.com/tech-dat...-sales/388186/

State of Washington pursuing biometric identification for alcohol sales: https://www.route-fifty.com/tech-dat...-sales/388186/
    Nope, nope, nope, not for me, way too much danger of abuse of the info gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Nope, nope, nope, not for me, way too much danger of abuse of the info gathered.
    We agree on something!!!

At some point biometrics may be an inevitability but absolutely am not cool with that whole thing right now. Use a mobile ID system if you want more convivence.

I'm a little more receptive to something like CLEAR using biometrics as it primarily involves a pretty regulated part of air travel and is voluntary but even that weirds me out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    We agree on something!!!

At some point biometrics may be an inevitability but absolutely am not cool with that whole thing right now. Use a mobile ID system if you want more convivence.

I'm a little more receptive to something like CLEAR using biometrics as it primarily involves a pretty regulated part of air travel and is voluntary but even that weirds me out a bit.
    Ha, as long as it's not political, we probably agree on more than you'd think. I've only had to deal with biometrics once, when I was working somewhere in Seattle, I believe, and the data center had a mantrap door with a palm reader and weight scale, but that was mandatory and was way before cloud, etc. was a thing.

Thread Information