Widgets Magazine
Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3277787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2161

Thread: Oklahoma liquor laws

Default Re: Oklahoma liquor laws

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Agreed. Plus, you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
    Life is about having goals and knowing how to hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Agreed. Plus, you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
    Early bird gets the worm...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Early bird gets the worm...
    That's ok, I don't drink anymore....

but I don't drink any less.

Thank you...I'll be here all week

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’ve been exploring Colorado a lot lately and they seem to have their stores closed around 9pm with some exceptions. Maybe I’m not going to the right places.
    My local liquor store in Colorado Springs closes at 11. 12 on fridays and saturdays.

The new iaw is that liquor stores can stay open until midnight 6 day a week now but I don’t think that hardly of them do... my favorite store stays open until 10pm during the week and is open until midnight on Friday and Saturday... The later it gets, the later you get someone that has had too much to drink thinking they need more... it’s a felony for a liquor store to sell to someone that is intoxicated... there is very little business in the middle of the night and nothing but bad risk...

Looks like OK and Cleveland counties will soon be voting on Sunday sales as well:

https://kfor.com/2019/12/05/oklahoma...r-store-sales/

One thing I want to say is that since liquor law modernization, Oklahoma City has developed a top-notch craft beer scene and culture that holds up very well against much larger cities. I think this is something the city should market heavier. In the national psyche, when people think craft beer culture they think of places like Boulder CO or Portland OR. Why not OKC? It's up there, in my opinion.

Oklahoma County residents will vote on March 3rd for liquor stores being open on Sundays:

https://kfor.com/2019/12/18/oklahoma...ssioners-vote/

Looks like Oklahoma County and pretty much every county that is voting for Sunday sales has their measures passing with flying colors.

Looks like Oklahoma County and pretty much every county that is voting for Sunday sales has their measures passing with flying colors.
    Yeah, this was pretty predictable. In the larger more urban counties it would have been shocking for this not to pass. I figure the only places it will have troubles will be some of the smaller counties that remained dry until fairly recently.

Will be interesting to see how many of the stores elect to stay open on Sunday.

For many of the small places (and there are still tons) that is the only day off for the owners.

Are there any liquor laws needing changed to allow a place like Spec's to open here? Not sure what is required for that, but they would probably kill it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

For many of the small places (and there are still tons) that is the only day off for the owners.
    They won’t know until they measure sales over several Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

When we still had our shop, that was the only downside for us with allowing sales on Sundays and holidays. We knew we'd lose the few days we could really relax.

I have talked to a couple of shop owners I know, and they don't plan on opening on Sundays, at least not regularly, at this time. They're both in smaller neighborhood communities and they don't see the late night business that some shops do, and don't expect the revenue on Sundays to justify the expense and the extra work but will likely open on Sundays during holiday weekends and such.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Are there any liquor laws needing changed to allow a place like Spec's to open here? Not sure what is required for that, but they would probably kill it here!
    limits on number of permits allowed. chains don't want to come in, because they are limited in number of stores.

I thought the limits were done away with.

Off topic but Wells Fargo told me the reason they have no branches in Oklahoma is due to federal law limiting how many stores they can have. I thought that was odd.

I'm guessing the mom and pop stores will stay closed on Sunday but the Byron's of the world will take advantage of that extra day of sales.

I thought the limits were done away with.

Off topic but Wells Fargo told me the reason they have no branches in Oklahoma is due to federal law limiting how many stores they can have. I thought that was odd.
    i don't think such a law exists

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    I can't think of specific law changes, but really the whole market just really isn't setup for multi-state liquor retailers. I believer there are currently no multi-state liquor chains (although I could be wrong). Honestly, the only value to even try it is brand value, which I'm not sure is that valuable in something as commoditized as retail liquor. Each state would essentially be their own entity, they couldn't combine inventory or ordering, transfer products between stores, or even guarantee the availability of the same products/selection from one state to the next.

And, Oklahoma's liquor retail market is pretty saturated. There's not a lot of room for someone to come in and make tons of money to make it worthwhile.

Somehow I totally failed to notice that this was on the ballot yesterday, up to and including not seeing the question on the ballots I filled out. Does anyone know the numbers by which it won in Oklahoma county?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Somehow I totally failed to notice that this was on the ballot yesterday, up to and including not seeing the question on the ballots I filled out. Does anyone know the numbers by which it won in Oklahoma county?
    70.73% yes 29.27 NO

Blog Entries

Old Law:
    Liquor Store Licenses have to be in the name of a Oklahoma resident, and an Oklahoma resident is limited to 1 license.

New Law:
    Liquor Store Licenses have to be in the name of a Oklahoma resident, and an Oklahoma resident is limited to 2 licenses.

Chains are not allowed, out of state ownership is not allowed.

^^^ hopefully that changes. That seems like a reasonable next step in liquor reform laws.

^^^ hopefully that changes. That seems like a reasonable next step in liquor reform laws.
    YEAH!!!! Go to hell local business and local liquor store owners! You SOBs need to be punished and ground into the dirt so we can ship even MORE of our money out of state. All hail Specs and chains!

Thread Information