Widgets Magazine
Page 60 of 87 FirstFirst ... 105556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2161

Thread: Oklahoma liquor laws

Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

I don't see how the lawsuit has a leg to stand on.

It's actually more fair than SQ 791, which would have said that grocery and convenience stores within a certain distance from a liquor store could not sell beer/wine.

The RLAO is acting like liquor stores and grocery/convenience stores are equal entities and the law favors the grocers. This would be the case, except for the fact that liquor stores are still the only entities that can sell hard liquor. If a liquor store makes most of its profit off beer and wine and wanted to open more than two locations, is anything preventing them from getting out of hard liquor sales and thus falling under the same regulations as grocers and convenience stores?

As long as liquor stores can sell hard liquor and grocery and convenience stores can't, I don't see how this holds up as unfair treatment. The law shouldn't be designed to protect a business model that was unfair to begin with and should have been done away with in 1959.

In a worst-case scenario however, what happens with SQ 792? Is it possible that the court strikes down certain aspects of it, or will the state have to go back to the drawing board and pass another ballot measure?

I won't speak on the legality. If it's legal, then there's nothing to worry about. If it's in violation of the law, it should be fixed.

As for what happens... if we're talking about 792, then yes, if parts of it are struck down, I think it's back to the drawing board, and another vote. I could be wrong though.

3. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

Time to res an old thread.

Senator Bice has filed a few new bills:

"SB 211 and SB 257 would allow for a county-option vote on Sunday liquor sales and a county-option vote for children 12 years old and younger to enter the liquor store." -- Journal Record

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Time to res an old thread.

Senator Bice has filed a few new bills:

"SB 211 and SB 257 would allow for a county-option vote on Sunday liquor sales and a county-option vote for children 12 years old and younger to enter the liquor store." -- Journal Record
    But what about holidays? It would be strange in the Bible Belt to be able to walk into a liquor store on the Lord's Day, but not on any holiday, like Labor Day.

Maybe not quite the right thread for this, but matched up best with the question.

In a liquor store today, wife asked to use the restroom, they said it was against the law. Never heard that before, but then again, never asked to use the restroom in one before, anybody know if it really is? If so, that's just so f-ing bizarre, but wouldn't be surprised, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Maybe not quite the right thread for this, but matched up best with the question.

In a liquor store today, wife asked to use the restroom, they said it was against the law. Never heard that before, but then again, never asked to use the restroom in one before, anybody know if it really is? If so, that's just so f-ing bizarre, but wouldn't be surprised, sadly.
    That's the Ok. outdated liq. law working to serve it's people.

. . . might have just been an excuse. . .easier to lay the blame elsewhere ratherthan saying "no public restrooms". . .

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    . . . might have just been an excuse. . .easier to lay the blame elsewhere ratherthan saying "no public restrooms". . .
    Yep, I know, that's why I'm asking, and that's BS, she shoulda just said "no public restrooms" though, figured jerry'd chime in, since he used to own a liquor store , but I'll go out and start researching myself today.

Anything new on this issue?

I don't think there's anything new, because there's not an issue. If you go through Oklahoma's (or anyone else's for that matter) liquor laws you won't find anything even remotely suggesting that the public must not be allowed to use the employee restroom.

However, if you look at the IPC (which is what Oklahoma follows) you will see different requirements for employee vs public restrooms, where they must be located, what sort of facilities must be provided, and so on. Since the code is frequently updated, you'll also discover that some things that were fine in the past are no longer fine now, but buildings that conformed to the past code were grandfathered in. Were they to remodel or open the employee restroom to the public, however, they would have to follow the new code.

So strictly speaking "it's against the law" is not totally incorrect. It's not the full story, either, but just saying that and letting the customer think "dumb liquor laws" makes the business look better than "we don't want to maintain public restrooms".

Not against the law. We used to let people use our bathroom in the back all the time. If it is, it's a surprise to me. I guess there could be something about allowing people in your stock room. I do know public restrooms have stricter ADA compliance requirements, but I'm pretty sure they were just making an excuse.

Now this is a tax cut I can get behind.

Bice seeks lower liquor consumption tax rate
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record February 1, 2017 0

OKLAHOMA CITY – State Sen. Stephanie Bice wants to lower a tax rate. But she said the change would not create a larger budget deficit.
    The Oklahoma City-area Republican filed Senate Bill 58, which would lower the alcohol consumption tax to 10 percent from 13.5 percent.
    “I’m lowering the tax rate, but we’re still going to make money,” Bice said.
    The alcohol consumption tax is applied only to prepared drinks, not alcoholic beverages that are purchased in a package.
    Oklahoma’s 3.2-percent beer is often not taxed in restaurants. When beer is switched to one strength in October 2018, the existing 13.5-percent tax rate will be a large jump for some beer consumers.
    The 10-percent rate is almost a middle ground between no tax and having a tax, Bice said.
    Oklahoma Restaurant Association President and CEO Jim Hopper said the organization supports the measure, and may even pursue getting the rate lower than 10 percent. He said the association’s concern is that if the consumption tax is not lowered, then people may choose to stay home to consume alcohol because it would be cheaper.
    He commended Sen. Bice for working with the organization on meeting its concerns.
    Bice said when she started working on changing the state’s alcohol laws in 2016, the ORA approached her about lowering the consumption rate. This year, the association came back and asked for a separate bill, and she was happy to oblige.
    She said some of her legislative colleagues are concerned with her bill because, on its face, it is lowering a tax rate. The Oklahoma Tax Commission is still running its calculations, but she said the revenue will remain in the millions.
    SB 58 is one of several alcohol-related bills that Bice is running this year.
    The Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission is watching Senate Bills 174, 211, and 257. SB 211 and SB 257 would allow for a county-option vote on Sunday liquor store sales and a county-option vote for children 12 years old and younger to enter the liquor store, respectively.
    SB 174 would allow a married couple to own multiple liquor stores. Each spouse could have a retail spirit license for up to two liquor stores. The current law forbids the spouse of a liquor store licensee from also having licenses.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    She said some of her legislative colleagues are concerned with her bill because, on its face, it is lowering a tax rate.
    What? Where the hell was this concern when they decided to give away oil for almost free?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Not against the law. We used to let people use our bathroom in the back all the time. If it is, it's a surprise to me. I guess there could be something about allowing people in your stock room. I do know public restrooms have stricter ADA compliance requirements, but I'm pretty sure they were just making an excuse.
    It is highly possible ABLE doesn't want non-employees in the storage area. For restaurants there must be a clearly defined storage area that is locked to the public at all times. Also consider if they didn't know/trust you. They would have to stand back there and wait for you to do whatever it is you needed to do so you weren't left unattended in the store room.

Thanks for the info, kind of makes sense...

Liquor lawsuit now waits in Cauthron’s court

The lawsuit filed by the Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma over State Question 792 is now in the U.S. District Court of Western Oklahoma and will be heard by Judge Robin J. Cauthron.

17. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

New Belgium Brewing has started shipping Fat Tire to Oklahoma. The grocery stores has the 3.2 version, but liquor stores has full strength!

18. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    New Belgium Brewing has started shipping Fat Tire to Oklahoma. The grocery stores has the 3.2 version, but liquor stores has full strength!
    On Tap at OConnells here in Norman.

It may be different, but I know where I've been locally, anything on tap has been 3.2. However, I know Skinny's has cans of the full octane brew.

20. Default Re: Another Oklahoma liquor law Thread 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It may be different, but I know where I've been locally, anything on tap has been 3.2. However, I know Skinny's has cans of the full octane brew.
    Same. Pump was 3.2%, but full strength at liquor stores.

Personally I think Native Amber is a lot better anyways.

Had it on tap at Pizza 23 Tues night and it was much better than I remembered.

It's on tap at Rock and Brews, plus half price during happy hour, which is nice. $2.50/pint.

Per NewsOK, there is some lobbying currently going on trying to change Oklahoma's laws requiring that alcohol consumption is segregated at movie theaters. Hopefully this gets changed. I have long wondered why OKC doesn't have any of these upscale movie/drinking establishments (aside from the Warren balcony) when they are very common in other cities. I had no idea there was a law against it.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Per NewsOK, there is some lobbying currently going on trying to change Oklahoma's laws requiring that alcohol consumption is segregated at movie theaters. Hopefully this gets changed. I have long wondered why OKC doesn't have any of these upscale movie/drinking establishments (aside from the Warren balcony) when they are very common in other cities. I had no idea there was a law against it.
    More on this from the Oklahoman.
    http://m.newsok.com/article/5540772
    Dinner, a drink and a movie could soon be an all-in-one affair, if Oklahoma's Legislature and governor approve.
    A law change to make that possible is being pursued by an Oklahoma City land owner and developer, plus the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber.
    They argue it would be a natural step to take as part of voters' approval of State Question 792.

With Rep. Williams of Stillwater one of those behind the bill I hope, he thinks a Flix Brewhouse would be interested in coming to Stillwater.

Thread Information